How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Sound problem...

(9 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by gramps2008
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 12593 times

gramps2008

G'day everyone,

I have a problem with sound, on my Toshiba Satellite laptop, P105-S6197, running Vista Home Premium - hope someone can help me.

When I turn my lappy on and start an mp3 or movie etc, I don't get any sound. That is, until I perform the following weird operation. I bring up "Device Manager", right click on any item, and click on "Scan for hardware changes". Then I get sound. How come? It's annoying and it's a relatively recent thing.

Eddie

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Hi, Eddie! I'm thinking that your audio device is not being initialized at Windows start, or the drivers aren't loading. What do you see in Device Manager *before* you scan for hardware changes. Look under "Sound, video & game controllers". Look for any unusual symbols, such as "x", "!", or "?".

Also, what do you see in Control Panel -> Sound -> Playback tab *before* the scan for hardware changes?

Posted 9 years ago

gramps2008

G'day Scott,

In "Device Manager", under "Sound,video and game contollers" is nothing unusual (to me). When opened, I see "Conexant High Defintion SmartAudio HD2" and under that is "DVB-T Device". Neither has anything like you describe next to them.

In "Control Panel" under "Sound" & "Playback" is
"Speakers
Conexant High Defintion SmartAudio HD2
Working
Green Tick"

Under that is
"SPDIF Interface
Conexant High Definition SmartAudio HD2
Working".

Does this help?

Eddie

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

OK, all of that seems normal. I googled around and there is a lot of chatter about problems with this device. Most of them relate to installing Service Pack 1 (SP1) or a driver from Windows Update that causes problems. You said this is a relatively recent problem, so can you think of anything you updated recently that could be the cause of it? Did you install SP1 or SP2? Did you get an update to the Conexant audio driver from Windows Update?

To check the history, go to Start -> All Programs -> Windows Update, then click on "View update history" in the task list on the left. See if you can find a Conexant update or a Service Pack around the time frame when the audio trouble started.

Posted 9 years ago

gramps2008

G'day Scott,

Well, I'm not quite with it, it seems...."relatively recently" means around a year ago...oops!!!

I can recall the problem starting around then, also around the time SP 1 was installed. The installation wrecked my computer and I had to have it repaired..reloaded with Vista etc and SP 1 re-installed. I recall asking the repairman about this sound problem - he wasn't able to fix it. I guess I've just lived with the problem all this time and when I decided to ask The Geek for help, it seemed like yesterday that the problem started.

A month after the rebuild, the following update occurred;

"Conexant - Audio - Conexant High Definition Smartaudio HD2

Installation date: ‎7/‎07/‎2008 5:29 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Optional

Conexant Audio software update released in April, 2008

More information:
http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20161521

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub"

Is any of this of use to you?

Eddie

Posted 9 years ago

Bartman

Have you tried any of the steps here?:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948481

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Eddie, your story sounds similar to what I saw when searching on this problem. I would recommend that you get the latest drivers directly from Toshiba. Here's the link for downloads at Toshiba Support (US) for your model. Under "Category", choose Sound then download the 01-08-2007 Conexant Audio Driver for Windows Vista.

Now, uninstall the old driver. In Control Panel -> Programs and Features, uninstall any Conexant Audio packages that you see. Then, go to Device Manager, under Sound, video and game controllers find the Conexant SmartAudio HD2 device, right-click on it and select Uninstall. Restart Windows, which it will probably prompt you to do. If you get the New Hardware Wizard when Windows is starting, stop it or tell it not to ask you again for this device.

Now run the download from Toshiba to unpack those files. Run the setup.exe program in there which will install the proper drivers from Toshiba. Be aware that the Conexant drivers might get re-installed without you wanting them to, so you may have to redo the last few steps, or do them in a different order. Let me know how it goes.

Posted 9 years ago

gramps2008

G'day Scott,

You're a genius - thanks a lot!

I followed your advice - 1, Went to Toshiba site & downloaded the appropriate driver. 2. Un-installed the old driver. 3. Went to "Device Manager" looking for the Conexant SmartAudio HD2 device to un-install, but it wasn't there this time. Instead, "High Definition Audio Device" was in it's place, so I left it alone. 4. Re-booted the computer - lo and behold - it works as new!!!

Can you figure that out Scott? Methinks this world of cyber & computing to be amazing - lol.

Thanks again mate!

Eddie

PS - Bartman, thanks for your input!

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Hooray! That's great news. Thanks for the kind words, but this is not genius on my part but experience from many years in the school of hard knocks. I can try to figure it out, but it's always a guess when I haven't seen your system.

1) You say you downloaded the driver from Toshiba, but you don't mention installing it. That's OK.
2) You uninstalled the old driver, I'm guessing from Programs and Features something like "Conexant Audio Driver".
3) No SmartAudio HD2 device in DevMgr probably because the uninstall in step 2 removed it. I told you to do both because some drivers use one or the other and some use both. The High Definition Audio Device is from Microsoft and will be on any Vista system with an HD Audio compliant controller.
4) It works now since the audio chip is acting as an HD Audio standard controller and Vista knows how to handle that.

On my system, in Device Manager under Sound, I have both the High Definition Audio Device and a Realtek High Definition Audio device. The Realtek audio chip that I have supports the HD Audio standard and Vista recognizes that and installs a driver for it. However, Realtek provides their drivers to access sound features on their chip which are outside the HD Audio standard. So, I have two device drivers for the same audio chip that work in harmony (heh heh).

Your system apparently has a Conexant audio chip that is also HD Audio compliant. Vista recognizes this and installs the High Def Audio Device which can handle all of the standard features. I expect that the SmartAudio HD2 driver is not the proper driver for your audio chip, or it was buggy since it did not work in harmony with the HD Audio standard driver. If you did not install the Toshiba sound driver, then you probably won't see a Conexant Audio Device of any kind in Device Manager -> Sound. That would be OK since all that you need is the standard HD Audio function of the chip. Installing the Toshiba driver might enable some extra gee-whiz features, but probably nothing you need and there is some risk of creating another conflict.

Yes, these computers are truly "amazing", where I am referring to definition 2: To bewilder; perplex.

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.