The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

So.. What line of work is everybody in?

(50 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 3706 times

The Geek

I'm curious if the forum regulars are in a computer related field or something else... I do realize that a number of our favorite members are retired, but I'm curious what you did before.

Did anybody work at a Twinkie factory?

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

well i am currently working in video editing/ video production and i am also in the skateboarding industry.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Twinkie factory sounds tempting - but may be fattening. I worked in large systems software for 35 years - but that was a long time ago.

Posted 9 years ago

Scott

As some of you know, I was a Wall St. market maker for 17 years straight out of college. Now I day trade from our home in Vermont and mod these forums for one of my dearest friends.

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

I totally forgot to put my details in the thread...

I'm a programmer working mostly with .net/microsoft technologies doing ecommerce programming, both business to business electronic backoffice integrations as well as working on the front-end for our storefront application. I've been a programmer for about 9 years, and was in the network/security/IT world for 4 years before that.

Posted 9 years ago

jd2066

I don't really have a line of work. I just usually sit on the computer all day.
Though sometimes like today I go out and fix problems for people around town.
I am also Cisco A+ Certified.
So I could say I'm a certified professional who works in IT. Though not exactly the case.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

Twinkie ?

twinkie Definition

☆ twinkie (twiŋ′kē)

noun

Slang a person or thing that seems appealing or attractive but has little value or worth

Posted 9 years ago

sparky7415

I've been doing electrical work going on 30 years,have an electricians license with a few states. I work on commercial/industrial 99% of the time,the other 1% having a cold beer.My recent favorite job was the new stadium for the Denver Broncos in Denver,Colorado,what a wild fun loving crew. The best part was meeting a few of the cheerleaders,WOOHOO,and John Elway the quarterback,now in the football hall of fame.

P.S. I like Twinkies

Posted 9 years ago

Budohorseman

I'm just an analyst, so I spend most of my time whipping up databases and spreadsheets, which is rather odd when you consider that my degree is in molecular biology....damn, I knew I should have taken at least one computer course when I was in school.

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

@budohorseman how did you end up in such a different field than what you degree is?

Posted 9 years ago

Budohorseman

It's the same old story, go through a divorce while in grad school, need to get a job quick, finding out that being able to whip up a spreadsheet or database pays better than working in a lab and that your hobby actually pays better than what you went to school for, the rest is history.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

Start a sideline in Biometric chips (with 100% real bio)

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

Lighthouse wants to be a cyborg.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

Yeah.. I'll give it a go.
Want a guinea pig Budohorseman?

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

A cyborg guinea pig? Why not a cyborg hamster then? Or maybe a fox... that would be cool.

Posted 9 years ago

Budohorseman

Ya know, I've never had a guinea pig, but with the pot bellied pig I think my house already has hit its pig quota. http://picasaweb.google.com/bu.....6308749554

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

That's perfect... a pot belly cyborg pig.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

Cos I'm not a hamster (hamsters work my timer), or a fox.
Is the phrase "guinea pig" not used in the states?

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

That phrase is used here, yes. Was just being silly and taking your comment out of context. =)

Posted 9 years ago

Budohorseman

Actually, it is, but we usually deep fry them and serve them on a stick...

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

sshhhh... lighthouse will be sad if you fry his pig.

Posted 9 years ago

Budohorseman

hehe, Pork Chops anyone? (that is my pigs name actually)

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

Must admit. They are not bad eating, (prefer squirrel. less meat, but more flavor)

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

I always wondered what happened to that secret squirrel cartoon, now I know.

When I was over in France we had a lot of duck... really tasty. and foie gras... and some other food I can't remember because of all the wine. I think I drank more wine in 10 days than I had in 10 years before that.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

That can happen :)

Posted 9 years ago

Budohorseman

Well Geek, since we are all here to help... http://wine.woot.com/

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

Mais non. C'est
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7j8LnBvlp0

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

I don't really drink wine at home very much... it's just not the same without the french cheese, bread and friends.

Posted 9 years ago

p0oper89

well on the topic of meat, i found a cool video, www.themeatrix1.com .

Back to topic: I am a student, studing to be a Financial Economics major and a Computer Science major. Which i love both with a passion.

@Scott: Wall Street!! I am really intrested in you. I want to know more about Wall St. and hear some stories. Please get back to me! I want to go into stock as well.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Are you guys sure that you are still "on topic"? Maybe we should start a food and wine thread.

Posted 9 years ago

Budohorseman

Actually, can you be off topic in an Off Topic forum? When you think about it that way, then actually being On Topic would break the rules of being Off Topic...oh the chaos!!

Posted 9 years ago

p0oper89

@Bud We'll I do realize there is a chaos with my statement "Back to Topic". But the get rid of the chaos i have no solution yet. I'll get right on it to find one. If one of the other members of HTG can find a solution to this chaos please SHARE!

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

chaos is part of my brain ;)

Posted 9 years ago

Scott

p0oper, computers and finance are often synonymous. If you're good at both, you have the potential to make a lot of money, if that is what you desire.

There is a chance I can get a contact (maybe for an internship?) for you but need to know where you live in India. It's a long shot but you never know.

You can reach me at Scott @ howtogeek.com

Posted 9 years ago

mandypinecone

Ever since I was little, I've loved to play in the dirt. Now I'm a VT Master Gardener and landscape designer!

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

p0oper is in maryland.

Posted 9 years ago

Scott

Geez, that's a rough commute.

Posted 9 years ago

Aleeve

lighthouse, regarding your video, I want one, NOW! :D

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

It's 9.95Euros and available from usbwine.com. You want me to search a phone number?

Posted 9 years ago

Aleeve

haha
i wonder if anyone has actually bought one - i wonder what it does

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

It does what it says in the video. Downloads wine directly into any computer with a USB port from the vineyard of your choice (actually it doesn't list ALL the vineyards)

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Lighthouse, I want one that dispenses "Chambertin Clos de Beze" - my favorite. If that is not available, I settle for a "Romanee Conti" - but a 1945.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

whs, it's one I've not had, but it's a Bourgogne, which tend to be quite nice (not exactly my taste though)

Posted 9 years ago

p0oper89

Geek How you know where i am? lol, are you the one thats been stalking me lately?

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Lighthouse, Maybe you would like a Chateau d'Yquem - I still have a 1971 and some Margeaux too. But for certain foods (e.g. Duck which we eat a lot) I like the Cahors, they are a lot cheaper too.

Posted 9 years ago

The Geek

@p0oper89

First, you have "MD" on your location on your profile... secondly since I'm an administrator I can see your IP address. =)

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

It's a proxy

Posted 9 years ago

p0oper89

yea i know, the things you could do :D. Just imagining

Posted 9 years ago

InDiSent

I have mostly worked Helpdesk jobs. Great story....

I used to work helpdesk for Wellcare. I got a job offer doing backup and storage working with Legato, Netbackup and a few others. I never did any kind of backup and storage work before, but they said they would train. So here i am a Data Storage Engineer. Anyway, back to the funny part. After i put in my resignation and left Wellcare to start this job....about 1 week later Wellcare was raided by the FBI for Healthcare Fraud. I got out just in the nick of time.

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

I never told you what I did, did I?.
Well, I worked for a corporation that ...............AAAAAAAAAAAAghhhh
Ouch. just got blown off the ladder..AGAIN!!!!!

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.