The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Shutdown

(56 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by tsmith777
  • Latest reply from tsmith777
  • Topic Viewed 1046 times

tsmith777

I am running a Dell 8500 with win 7 desktop and everytime I shut it down or restart it I get a screen that says waiting for XXX program(s) to close, and then I have to hit Force restart or Force shut down, this started about a week ago, anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

1. Hold Winkey+R

2. Type msconfig hit Enter

3. Select Start Up tab and uncheck everything except AV

4. Restart machine.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Guilty. there were only two items checked in the start up tab on msconfig, SAS and MSC, I unchecked SAS and restarted and it does the same thing, Force restart. I also ran autoruns and under the boot execute there is nothing.

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

http://www.mscsoftware.com/ Is this the MSC you refer to above? If it is why not disable it at startup also?

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Sorry for the error, it was Microsoft Security Essentials, MSE

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

What is running in your Task Manager ?

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Just the programs that I have open.

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Can you post a pic of your processes in Task Manager and your Non MS Services in msconfig.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Guilty, I am a novice, how do I do that?

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

tsmith777

Guilty I signed in, I already have a photobucket account, I read the tutorial but don't know how to get the task manager in there to copy it for HTG? I am going to have to leave for a couple of hours, please post your comments and I'll get back later, Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

You can use the Snipping tool in your Accessories folder --- start menu --- accessories.

When prompted just click one corner of your Task Man. and drag it to the opposite corner untill you have a complete pic.

Then Save As "your pic name here.png/jpg".

Find where you saved it to (which folder you saved it in) and upload to Photobucket.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I did as you said but cannot upload it to photobucket, I must be really stupid but when I open photobucket there i no way to drag it to photobucket when I click upload. Sorry

Posted 4 years ago

Hermitt

Maybe this tutorial will be easier to follow...

How to post a picture on HTG:

https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/tutorial-how-to-post-a-picture-on-htg?replies=25

Jim

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Hermitt, your link to whs's tutorial is great, but I still do not understand how photobucket works. There is no folder with my name on it or "New Album", I am signed in to photobucket. Can you explain it better? I know I am stupid.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I ran chkdsk c:/r thinking it might fix the problem, it did replace several bad clusters but did not help this problem. Maybe I am just too old to be doing this stuff.

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

I bet your not too old. Start all over again. If you have an account for Photobucket as you say you are part way there. Your missing a step or just not following a step. Take time to read everything.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I finally got the folder and named it task manager, but how do I get the task manager into that folder?

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

1. Create your account at http://photobucket.com/ - real easy
2. Use the folder with your name on it or create a subfolder (recommended). You do that on the left side where it says "New Album" > Save
3.Go to "Upload Images and Videos", somewhere in the middle. Now click on "Choose Files". This will most likely bring up your "Pictures" folder (but you can select another folder). Double click on the file you want to upload. After a few seconds you will see it. Now single click on your picture. On top of the picture you will see “Resize”. The best size to pick is 640X480.
4. If you want to post this picture directly on the Forum, click on IMG Code (last link), then right click on that and COPY. If you only want to post the link to the picture, click on Direct link, then right click and COPY. Then you got it in your clipboard (from where you Paste).
5. Now you can paste this into your posting. If you chose IMG, the picture will only show up AFTER you posted. In the posting you will only see the link. If you chose "Direct link", it will just be a link.

Start with step three.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

When I click on Public Folders it says unresponsive, also when I try to resize I cannot.

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

If you open the folder you named task manager can you view it?

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

When I click on the folder, Task Manager, nothing happens

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I just ran a full scan of SAS and it discovered this, Heur.Agent/Gen-White Box C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\LXDWJSWR.DLL QUARENTINE - 12.03.2012 08-58-43, is that a virus and could it be causing the problem?

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

tsmith ,

Do you have a Lexmark Printer ?

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Yes, It is a X7675 Pro.

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Try using the in built False Positive button to send the sample to SAS they can then tell you if it is a genuine FP or something serious.

But I think that dll file is to do with your Lexmark.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Ok, where is the False Positive Button?

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

It should be on the Quarantine page, you may have to select View Logs to get there.

Here is a sample of what it looked like on the older builds : http://www.superantispyware.co.....tml?faq=28

but it should be somewhere similar.

Am running a scan at present so can't check.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I also just now found another one from SAS REAL TIME PROTECTION, Trojan.Agent/Gen-Tres (Drop).Process C:\Users\TomSmi~APPDATA\Local\Temp\CDB\.exe

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Sorry was having dinner :)

You can probably get rid of Trojan.Agent/Gen-Tres but to be sure you need to check in the AppData folder under that path appdata\local\temp\......

If you can't see the appdata folder then you will need to show it, as by default it is hidden.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I thought SAS Quarantine would get rid of it, if I delete it from there?

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Yes it will.

I am unsure of the path name \.exe in that appdata folder it is strange that there is no file name however, I wouldn't put it past a piece of malware to work that way.

That is the reason I suggest to check that path/filename fully to see that it doesn't belong to anything necessary.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Ok, Thanks very much, so is that a virus or malware? Do you think that was causing the problem with the shutdown/restart?

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Malware is a generic term that covers all aspects of 'nasties' = Virus, Trojans, Hijacks etc...

As to the cause ? Unsure from this end.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Okay, that's what I thought, I will restart and see if it fixes it, I am learning little by little, Thanks again.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Nope, that did not help. I still get the FORCE shutdown page.

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Without seeing what's happening there's not much I can do, maybe take it to a local tech shop to have a look at.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Oakey Dokey thanks

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Anyone else have any ideas?

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/36403/how-to-use-the-kaspersky-rescue-disk-to-clean-your-infected-pc/ Read through this and try the Kapersky rescue disk.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Warlock, the Kaspersky rescue disc in your link will not download, it says it is v. 10 dated June 2010 and not supported.

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Downloads fine for me.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

When I click on download it goes to another page and shows the download link but I cannot click on it.

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

Works for me too. Try again.

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

http://support.kaspersky.com/4162

Click the part that says "You can download the distributive of Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 from Kaspersky Lab servers."

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Guilty, I downloaded it and installed it as well as ImgBurn and dragged the Kaspersky downloaded file to ImgBurn, inserted a DVD and it burned it to the DVD and said operation successfull. should I restart and rung the disc now?

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

You have to boot from the disc so make sure CD/DVD is your first boot priority in the BIOS setting.

You may have to push F2 or F11 or a combination of keys to enter the BIOS.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I changed the BIOS to boot from DVD, and restarted, it did boot from the DVD, I pressed any key as the instructions say, accepted the terms, hit enter for Graphics Mode a then I get a totally black screen. I waited for about 5 minutes and it did not start????? I just can't seem to get anything right.

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

Well tsmith777, As GS said earlier, you may be better off taking it to a local shop. I probably would have done a system reinstall. Still don't think your too old by the way. LOL

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

LOL Thanks for your and GS's response. I think I'll just reinstall windows and if that dosen't fix it I'll just forget about it and put up with the Forced Shutdown, the computer woks great except for that problem. Thanks again.

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

A Forced Shutdown will do more damage to your system each time, if a re-install doesn't solve things (don't forget to back up any files you want kept) then take it to some one local that can help, at least then they can SEE what's happening each time.

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

Ditto.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

It's interesting, I went to an XPX club forum where the responders are from Dell and he told me that that is normal in Windows 7, I tried to explain that I have had Dell Computers for many years and that has never happen. He refuses to answer me now

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Whatever was wrong, after reinstalling windows (Upgrade) and downloading 94 updates and cleaning out all the garbage it is now fixed and now it runs great and shuts down and restarts properly. My computer is also lightning fast now. I very much appreciate the input from all of you folks. Thanks again for all you help now and in the past.

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

@Tom, A reinstall is usually best if you can do it. Suggest you install http://www.microsoft.com/secur.....y/mse.aspx if you didn't already. I knew you were not too old. LOL.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I have had MSE for a long time and love it, along with SAS, Malwarebytes and Ccleaner. Well, maybe I'm not. LOL The talent that resides at HTG constantly amazes me, you guys are awesome.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.