The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Sharing Windows 7 and PS3/other computers

(13 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by lancex95
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 34344 times

lancex95

Well i recently upgraded to Windows 7, and its been running seamlessley. the only problem i have is that i cant seem to share files between my Windows 7 (64bit) PC and the other pcs in my house (all running xp or vista) or my PS3. Is there any solution to this?

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

lancex95, are you able to share files between the XP and Vista systems? If you can, then you should already have decided on a Workgroup name, whether to use password-protected sharing or not and whether you have a common account on all systems, guest accounts, or login manually.

Most of the important settings are in the Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel. Make sure your network is a Home or Work network, not a Public network. Click on "Change advanced sharing settings" to review the options -- network discovery: on, file and printer sharing: on, password-protected sharing: your choice, and so on. The Workgroup and system name (host name) can be reviewed or changed in System Properties -> Computer Name. The Guest Account, if you should need it, can be enabled in the User Accounts Control Panel.

For media streaming, you can use the built-in Media Streaming options, which is best accessed from Windows Media Player. However, this built-in feature is somewhat limited and requires you to use WMP or Windows 7 Libraries. Another, more flexible option, is a 3rd party media server software, such as TVersity, Orbit, or others.

If you get stuck or have questions, let me know.

Posted 9 years ago

lancex95

Well i managed to fiddle with my settings in Windows 7 and managed to get the data streaming to my PS3 (for the most part, some files arent noticed but that may be format problems because im sharing movies and shit too)

but even though i can see my laptop, and everybody elses laptops i cant seem to access their computers, and likewise on them accessing my files. i cant seem to figure this out. we are all on one network, all the same workgroup, but the laptops are all running Vista (32 bit) and im running Windows 7 (64 Bit)

could it be a 32 - 64 bit confliction perhaps? or could you provide some solution?

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

This has nothing to do with 32- or 64-bit operating systems. I am running Windows 7 64-bit and can communicate with 32-bit XP and Vista on my home network (LAN).

You have the same Workgroup, which is good, but what about the other settings? Is File and Printer sharing on for all systems? Password-protected sharing? Are you using the same account and password ("credentials") on all systems, or logging in to a remote account manually? What do you see in "Network" or "My Network Places" (XP)? Can every computer see itself and it's own volume shares?

Posted 9 years ago

lancex95

Well only MY personal PC and MY lapatop use the same credentials (username nick, and then same 13 char pass) but the other pcs/laptops either use something else or lack a passowrd. i have made sure that file and printer sharing is enabled on all other systems. as well as password protected sharing and what not. In network its odd. (For referance im primarily doing the tests between my pc and my laptop) My pc can see itself, and its media streaming volumes. It can see the 3 running laptops in the house. It can print on the printer. But it cannot ACCESS the laptops. Same goes with the laptops themselves, accesses their own files and see themselves and others, just cant access the other network places.

If this helps, the error message is:

Windows cannot access \\Nick-Laptop

Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click diagnose.

This appears on every try on every pc.

Media streaming between the Desktop and the PS3 is flawless though.

One thing i notice is that i can see my sister's media from all computers, as well as the PS3, but cannot access that. which i dont understand either. The PS3 also does not detect my laptop as a media server.

That last bit might be irrelevant.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

It always gets complicated when there are more systems added to the mix. I'm getting confused about how many systems there are, what OS each one is running, and whether they have login accounts or not. By the way, how are they all connected? I'm guessing a wired/wireless router with the laptops mostly wireless and the desktops mostly wired. Where is the printer in all of this? Also, I want to clarify some of your statements:

...file and printer sharing is enabled on all other systems.
Can it be said that it is enabled on *all* systems? So, all others and whichever primary system(s) you were excluding, yes?

as well as password protected sharing and what not.
As well what? Is password protected sharing enabled on all, disabled on all, or mixed?

...only MY personal PC and MY lapatop use the same credentials (...) but the other pcs/laptops either use something else or lack a passowrd.
This can be trouble *if* password-protected sharing is enabled. Systems with the same credentials can access each other's shares without needing to login. Systems with different credentials, must login to an account on the remote system to access shares. Systems with no credentials, no login or password, can be excluded from sharing.

...accesses their own files and see themselves and others, just cant access the other network places. This appears on every try on every pc.
So none of the systems can access a volume share on any of the others?

You did not specify the network type settings, which should be Home or Work in Windows 7, Private Network in Vista, and I don't believe XP has such a setting.

I have seen cases where folks had trouble with network sharing that turned out to be due to a router or to software firewalls. A router problem is rare, but if a software firewall is not allowing SMB traffic (file and printer sharing), that will shut down network sharing.

Posted 9 years ago

lancex95

ALL laptops are running Windows Vista Home Premium, 32 Bit. My personal PC is running Windows 7 64 Bit. All other desktop PCs are running windows XP (though i am not trying to file share with them really, just the laptops). The laptops and my personal desktop are all on wireless connectivity. The printer is hooked up at its own desk through the network, with a direct connection to the router.

Statement 1:
Yes, all systems have these features enabled.

Statement 2:
Password protection has been disabled on my desktop, for sharing at least, but i may have to change that with some fiddling on the laptops though it should be disabled on them too.

Statement 3:
N/A

Statement 4:
Correct. EX: Desktop cannot access the volume of any laptops.

All network settings are set to private networks, and HOME for all volumes.

I am not aware of any firewall blocking the sharing. My desktop and laptop both use Kaspersky Internet Security 2010, while the other laptops use COMODO Internet Security (but will be changed soon)

I would also like to add to this an error code i just noticed stating such:

Error Code: 0x80070035
The network path was not found.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

OK, so the printer has a direct connection to the router, which explains why it can be accessed while other volume shares cannot.

The most troubling thing that I'm hearing now is that you do have a mixture of password-protected sharing on some systems, but not on others. To make this easy, it should be all on or all off. XP was extremely lax on security of volume shares, which is fine for firewalled home users but a nightmare in a corporate environment. Vista made the security tighter, and Windows 7 made it tighter still. However, you can still get an approximation of simple file sharing in Vista and 7 by disabling password-protected sharing on all systems. After that, you can share folders in the Public user account with no credentials required (assuming Public folder sharing is enabled). However, to share other folders (not in Public user), you need to enable the Guest account in Vista and 7. As far as I know, using the Guest account is the only way to do this. However, I use password-protected sharing on my systems, so I'm not as familiar with how it works when turned off.

I don't recall if any of us recommended this TechNet article to you. It used to be the gold standard for configuring an XP and Vista mixed network, but it has not been updated for Windows 7. All of the concepts discussed still apply, but the names and some locations of settings in Windows 7 have changed. You can read there about password protected sharing and how/why it works when turned off.

Accepted Answer · Posted 9 years ago

lancex95

Now there is somehing id like to point out. My brother's PC runs windows 7 32 bit (this is at a different house all toghether) and he can share his files to us. what i did notice was some kind of account called something along the lines of : ASP.NET Machine Account

could that be something i need to enable as well on my pc for sharing to work perhaps?

EDIT: Never mind i searched a bit and noticed the account was irrelevant to the problem.

EDIT: I doubt this should effect anything, but on my pc and my laptop i have HAMACHI installed, so when enabled itll have its own connection in the list. This shouldnt effect anything correct? I have never noticed a sharing issue priorly.

EDIT: I just noticed that i had windows firewall enabled on my laptop, disabling that allowed my laptop to see media being streamed in the network, though i cannot access it that is something it could not do before.

Posted 9 years ago

lancex95

It seems i have managed to find a fix, with considerable help from your advice Scott!

I turned off password protected sharing on the laptops, and reconfigured kaspersky on my own laptop, and successfully managed to get the Vista computers working perfectly with the file sharing! :D

The XP should come to me pretty simply, now that i understand some of the issues!

Thanks a ton for the help Scott!

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Glad to hear it's working now. You're welcome.

Posted 9 years ago

Saura000

Hi there, I have just set up media sharing with my pc (windows7) and ps3 all my music files are there but when I go to play the files there is no volume and when I try to copy my music onto the hard drive in the ps3 an error occurs.... Can you help please it's driving me nuts !!

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Saura000 hi. Please can you start a New Topic with your problem. Thanks.

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.