The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Says there is no disc in DVDRW when there is HELP!!!!!

(21 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by myaticangel
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 5842 times

myaticangel

Really hoping that you good guys can help me as this is driving me crazy!!!!!!! I am running windows XP and have a DVDRW IDE 1109 drive. When I put a disc in i.e. music, or any other type, my computer recognises the Drive, but says there is no disc in it. I have gone to "my computer" and double clicked on the drive, but nothing shows up as being in it. When I insert a disc, it flashes green as if working then stops, without carying on. I am sure it has something to do with the Drivers, but do not know what to do now, so would REALLY appreciate some advice from you guys.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

myaticangel,
And NO spare optical drive right ??
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

myaticangel

No I do not have a spare drive I am afraid.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

myaticangel,
You could try the old Remove Filters Trick in the Registry.
Reboot and see what happens.
Article is some what confusing because it applies to another issue but is still applicable.
READ AND UNDERSTAND FIRST.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461
Regards,
RickP.

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

myaticangel, hello. Checking for a driver conflict is a good idea. Check the Device Manager by right-clicking on My Computer, choosing Manage, then Device Manager. If you see a "X", "?", or "!" symbol then something is wrong.

A useful utility to check on the DVD drive and installed media is Nero InfoTool.

Posted 8 years ago

myaticangel

Scott, below is the information that Nero has given me on the drive. I did check the device manager and all in ok there. Thanks everyone that is trying to help what a great bunch of people.

------------------
Drive : DVDRW IDE1108
Type : DVD±R/RW Recorder
Firmware Version : B014
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Date : ?
Serial Number : AD76FD5E
Vendor Specific : 

Drive Letter : D:\
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 40 , 32 , 24 , 8 , 4 X
Write Speed : 40 , 32 , 24 , 16 , 10 , 4 X

Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : No
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-R DL : No
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read DVD+R DL : No
Read BD-ROM : No
Read BD-R : No
Read BD-RE : No
Read HD DVD-ROM : No
Read HD DVD-R : No
Read HD DVD-R DL : No
Read HD DVD-RAM : No
Read HD DVD-RW : No
Read HD DVD-RW DL : No
Read HD-BURN : No
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : No
Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R : Yes
Write DVD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R DL : No
Write DVD+R : Yes
Write DVD+RW : Yes
Write DVD+R DL : No
Write DVD-RAM : No
Write DVD-RAM : No
Write BD-R : No
Write BD-RE : No
Write HD DVD-R : No
Write HD DVD-R DL : No
Write HD DVD-RAM : No
Write HD DVD-RW : No
Write HD DVD-RW DL : No
Write HD-BURN-R : No
Write HD-BURN-RW : No
Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
Mount Rainier : No
SolidBurn : No
Labelflash : No
LightScribe : No
Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW SAO 16, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 16, RAW DAO 96

Region Protection Control : RPC II
Region : 2
Changes User : 4
Changes Vendor : 4

CSS : Yes
CPRM : No
AACS : No
VCPS : No

Disc Information (D:\)
------------------
Type : :No disc inserted

System Information
------------------
AllocateCdRoms : 0
Operating System : Windows XP Home Edition (5.01.2600 Service Pack 2)
Language : English
ANSI Code Page : 1252
OEM Code Page : 437
DirectX : DirectX 9.0c
Internet Explorer : 7.0.5730.13 (Build 75730)

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

Did the drive read discs before? I can't figure out who manufactures this drive. Is it an internal or external? Is there a make and model on the drive itself that you can read? What driver is being used for the drive? You can find this in Device Manager, Properties for the drive, Driver tab, Driver Details button.

Posted 8 years ago

myaticangel

Hello Scott, its was reading di9sc`s perfectly until a "friend", decided I needed to upgrade my drivers for the computer. It is an internal drive that can with the desk top comoputer. I have opened the drive details and this is what is listed :- system 32\drivers\cdrom.sys
system 32\drivers\imapi.sys
system 32\drivers\redbook.sys
system 32\drivers\storprop.dll

Thank you for taking the time to help Scott, means a lot to someone that know little or nothing about the operating system of a computer.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Sorry to jump in, but. Go into Device Manager, and roll back the driver.

Posted 8 years ago

myaticangel

Hello LH have done that and it said there was nothing to roll back to

Posted 8 years ago

LH

How long ago did your "friend" change it ?

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

@LH,
Think it is a hardware issue.
Remember the DVD I had to take a part and fix last Autumn - No Device ready high internal signal ????
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

thebonafortuna

In case you decide to go the route of getting a new one, here is a link to a well reviewed one on NewEgg (best place to shop for computer stuff).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6827129023

Lots of others to choose from too! Best of luck.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Rick, looking at this post here,
https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/says-there-is-no-disc-in-dvdrw-when-there-is-help?replies=13#post-7986I
If he could recover his original driver that worked, it may solve the problem.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

@LH,
Yep - I'm just guessing because I had the similar problem.
My issue was hardware failure but OP's problem could be different.
Would be nice if he had a spare to throw in.
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

myaticangel, well with friends like that, who needs viruses? :-(

Let's see: "friend" changes drivers, then immediately after drive stops reading discs? This is NOT a hardware problem. LH is on the right track. Ex-friend (heh heh) may have changed other drivers that are affecting the DVD drive. We need to determine when the problem was created and roll back the entire system to before then. You can use System Restore to do this.

Run System Restore from Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. Choose "restore my system to an earlier time", click Next and see what days are available. Restore points are available on days with numbers in bold on the little calendar. Each restore point has a short description. If you are aware of what programs were run to cause the problem, the description might lead you to the *exact* point you need. If not, any time before the problem started will do. Keep in mind that this will undo changes to Windows and applications that have been modified since the Restore Point was created. Let us know if you have questions about the procedure.

Posted 8 years ago

raijin

If you absolutely do not want to buy another drive, there is always the full factory restore option(where all the info on your hard drive is wiped and you start anew) where you download the drivers for all your hardware again. Warning: This takes a long time -->1-2 days depending on how much patience you have.

Posted 8 years ago

BobJam

Try ScottW's Restore Point idea first, and if that doesn't work, see if you can determine the exact make and model with a hardware info utility like Everest or PC Wizard or siw, and then download a driver from the manufacturer's site, and finally try my idea here if those two don't work.

Did your computer come with an OEM drivers disk . . . probably not.

So windows has generic drivers for that circumstance. If you remove the device from device manager, windows will likely detect it as "new hardware" and then install it's generic driver. Try that . . . it's worth a shot unless the device is proprietary . . . in which case you will want the driver that came with it (most likely on a CD, which Windows will ask you for . . . and if you don't have one, Windows will try it's generic.)

If you ask Windows to apply a driver, it will give you a list to select from. Here's where you will want the device name as listed in Device Manager (get this BEFORE you remove it obviously).

There was a generic file I had years ago called OAKCDROM.SYS, and I used to refer to that file in a config.sys statement, but that was in the days of DOS and I can't remember what the line was or if it even applies anymore.

Anyway, try removing the device (BUT FIRST WRITE DOWN THE DEVICE MANAGER DESCRIPTION), and let Windows detect it as "new hardware" and see if it can install a generic driver from the Windows driver library (it may ask you for the Windows CD itself, so have that ready to insert . . . and since your CD drive isn't working anyway this whole idea may not work . . . but you will be no worse off than you were to begin with).

Posted 8 years ago

myaticangel

I am going to take the tower apart and see if I can find the make listed on it somewhere. I have tried most of the avoe but to no avail. When I put a disc in the drive, a little disc appears by my pointer, so it seems that the drive knows there is a disc there but cannot read it. Once again cannot thank you guys enough for your help. Any other suggestions would be gratefully recieved, adn tried. Sandra xx

Posted 8 years ago

myaticangel

Have used Everest as sugested to find the make of the drive, and below is listed the results on the DVDRW drive.

Field Value
Device Properties

Field Value
Driver Description DVDRW IDE1108

Field Value
Driver Date 01/07/2001

Field Value
Driver Version 5.1.2535.0

Field Value
Driver Provider Microsoft

Field Value
INF File cdrom.inf

Field Value
Hardware ID IDE\CdRomDVDRW_IDE1108___________________________B014____

Field Value
Location Information 1

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

myaticangel,
Try a new cheap HP DVD±R/RW (IDE) Burner from Wal-Mart or discount store.
I repaired mine but don't think you want to attempt taking your old one a part.
They are inexpensive so replace.
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.