The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

[solved] save and restore desktop icon positions?

(16 posts)
  • Started 13 years ago by supermansghost
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 27165 times

supermansghost

Is there any way that I can save the position of the icons, and then restore them? Mine keep getting screwed up and moving all over the place.

Posted 13 years ago

Scott

Right click on your desktop, click view, make sure that 'Auto Arrange' is unchecked.

Please report back if this solution worked for you.
PS-make sure your icons are sorted the way you'd like-by either Name, Size, Type, Date Modified.

Scott

Posted 13 years ago

rbailin

I don't think that's his problem.

Whenever I upgrade the driver for my Intel Graphics controller, as part of the upgrade process it temporarily switches to a lower resolution and then back to my original resolution. In the process, the desktop icons are reorganized to the top and left of the screen.

Same thing happens if I boot Vista into safe mode and use my account instead of the administrator's account.

Really frustrating to reorganize a couple of dozen icons back to where you think they were. It should be trivial to save that part of the registry that tracks these icon postions and restores them on demand.

Bob

Posted 13 years ago

thegeek

The same thing also happens if you play games that change the resolution... or if you are a laptop user that connects to an external display.

I have a solution for this... will look for it and post it shortly.

Posted 13 years ago

thegeek

Here we go:

http://www.nthelp.com/50/save_desktop_layout.htm

Basically, you just drop the dll in the system32 directory, and then you can save/restore the desktop icons anytime you want.

You wouldn't believe the amount of times people ask about this... I think I might write an article about it.

Posted 13 years ago

rbailin

Works great! But I find it's not intuitive to associate it with the context menu for My Computer, My Network and the Recycle Bin. If you want to save the desktop icon positions, you should right-click the desktop! So add this to the layout.reg file:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\IconLayout]
   @="{19F500E0-9964-11cf-B63D-08002B317C03}"

Suggested by:

http://www.merawindows.com/Forums/tabid/324/forumid/82/threadid/6661/scope/posts/Default.aspx

And please write the article. layout.dll is a very useful tool that's been around for years but pretty much forgotten.

Bob

Posted 13 years ago

supermansghost

Sweet! That solved my problem perfectly! You should really write an article about this.

Posted 13 years ago

mondomx

An old thread, but the additional registry entry doesn't work for right-clicking my desktop. Using Vista Home Premium.

Posted 13 years ago

whs

I think there is a much easier solution. I stuck all the desktop icons into a folder on the desktop. Then I installed "App Launcher" on my sidebar (from: Get more gadgets online), drag all the shortcuts from the folder on the desktop into there (App Launcher has to know the path). Now I can start any of those with one click plus I have only 2 Icons on my desktop: The Icon folder and the Recycle Bin.

Posted 13 years ago

Lighthouse

I only have 1 icon on my desktop, and it,s invisible (it's not the Recycle bin)

Posted 13 years ago

whs

Lighthouse, you are the neatest of us neatos. How did you hide the one you have left.
PS. I need that recycle bin as I told you the other day. Without it, I would have lost already have of my assets.

Posted 13 years ago

Lighthouse

First, create an icon the same colour as your desktop
Second, Change your desktop icon for the one you've just made
Third, rename it ALT255
Fourth, if you've just totally deleted something in error, use Recuva

Posted 13 years ago

whs

Thanks Lighthouse. And in ALT255 the "255" has to be numeric. Or not?

Posted 13 years ago

whs

PS: My RECUVA is the wife. She is the only one allowed to empty the recycle bin.

Posted 13 years ago

Lighthouse

Yes, hold down th Alt key and tap in "255" on the numeric keypad. The next one you want to hide, do the same but Alt 255 twice. etc etc

Posted 13 years ago

jd2066

The 255 is numeric. See the article at https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/hide-desktop-icon-text-on-windows-vista/ for more on the tip.

Posted 13 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.