The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

run as administrator option missing

(16 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by novice2
  • Latest reply from novice2
  • Topic Viewed 5850 times

novice2

i want to run sfc scan utility for which i open cmd prompt.it wants me to 'run as administrator in console session'' . there is no such option when i right click cmd prompt. can somebody help

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

novice2 hi. Do you get the run as administrator option on other .exe files ?

And see,
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-security/the-run-as-administrator-option-is-missing-from/18aaa1a3-988f-40e3-847e-d0689888c6c6?msgId=999a9520-4bb4-4bf9-9b2f-18765915c508

Posted 8 years ago

scorpion99

when right clicking , try to press Shift also ...
If it didn't work try to apply this fix.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294676

Posted 8 years ago

ispalten

If you get it on other icon's, then you are doing it on a copy/link. Use the ALL PROGRAMS ==> ACCESSORIES Command Prompt icon.

ANOTHER WAY to do it.

I had a NEW SYSTEM and messed with the Registry... added some 'un-authorized' additions to remove the arrows on shortcuts and a take ownership one. Then I noticed I lost the RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR on the Right Mouse Button click. I restored the factory image and tried again with different .REG files and checked after each one. You do something like this recently?

Irv S.

Posted 8 years ago

novice2

thanks. no i donot get this option on any other exe files.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Go to All Programs > Accessories > right click on Command Prompt > Run as Admin

Posted 8 years ago

novice2

hi whs. no luck

Posted 8 years ago

novice2

hi ispalten. i do not get this option on other icons also. a month ago i had to reinstall windows there after this option vanished. other wise i did nothing abnormal

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

Have you tried the 2 MS links posted near the top ?

Posted 8 years ago

novice2

hello lighthouse, i am trying to follow the instructions in the site you suggested.so far no success.

Posted 8 years ago

ispalten

OK, a few things to try...

One is to see 'where' the problem might lie and that might suggest a 'fix'.

What you'll need to do is to determine if it is 'local' to your UserID. Two different ways to test that (and even a 3rd, but we'll forgo that until these two are done) :

1) Start into SAFE MODE (F8 right after the BIOS screen to get the boot menu and go there) and see if it works.

2) Boot to the HIDDEN ADMINISTRATOR (Details HERE) and see if it works there.

The 3rd would be to create a NEW USER and boot to that and test it, but if the two above fail, I wouldn't bother. If both pass it might be worth trying as it mean something in your ID is causing the problem.

Before doing the option above, look HERE and give this a try.

Irv S.

Posted 8 years ago

novice2

1) the problem persists in SAFE MODE also
2)to boot to HIDDEN ADMINISTRATOR i need to RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR in CONSOLE SESSION which is the main issue
3) creating new user account did not solve the issue
4) i gave a try to the instructions in site posted by you, it refuses to download and get this error "CANNOT IMPORT C:\USERS\XXXXXXX\DOWNLOADS\RESTORE RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR REG:NOT ALL DATA WAS SUCCESSFULLY WRITTEN TO THE REGISTRY XXXXXXXXXXXX"

Posted 8 years ago

owen123

Try Pressing Shift Right click then run as administrator

Posted 8 years ago

Hermitt

novice2, do you have UAC turned off in control panel under your user account?

Maybe you can try this.... https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-run-as-administrator-to-any-file-type-in-windows-vista/

Jim

Posted 8 years ago

ispalten

As for number 4, by download I assume you mean added to the Registry?

This would indicate you do NOT have permission to see/edit specific parts of the registry, and that would be a permissions problem.

What I guess we need to do is figure out what part failed. So, using Windows Explorer got to the folder with the .REG file and Right Mouse Button on it and select EDIT. In it you'll see lines like this :

=============
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Parameters]

"NodeType"=-
"DhcpNodeType"=-
=============

You'll have a few for that file. Those are places in the Registry and what needs to be added/changed.

Now open the Registry and look at those hives/keys on the first link and then see if the data was added. When you find the one that isn't, TRY to manually do that. If you get the hive that caused the error post back.

Irv S.

Posted 8 years ago

novice2

having failed to rectify the fault i ran windows recovery."run as administrator" is now available on every thing except" cmd prompt"which is hindering sfc scan. i hope i find a solution to that.
thanks for giving me a prompt helping hand

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.