The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - @Rick

(29 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by hArLtRoN
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1146 times

hArLtRoN

I'm going to be doing a clean install (of Windows 7) on my desktop and I was wondering how I would make a 100GB partition on my hard drive with DiskPart using the following process. Would would be changed?

DiskPart <ENTER>

list disk <ENTER>

select disk 0 <ENTER>

clean all <ENTER> (Will Take a While)

create partition primary align=1024 <ENTER>

format fs=ntfs <ENTER> (Will Take a While)

assign <ENTER>

active <ENTER>

exit <ENTER>

exit <ENTER>

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Just DO:

DiskPart <ENTER>

list disk <ENTER>

select disk 0 <ENTER>

clean <ENTER>

Dismiss all the way out and Ctr/Alt/Del to Reboot.

Follow directions per normal installation and Windows 7 will install with 100MB extra partition.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Rick, the way I understood him is that he wants a 100GB primary active partition to where to install. That way he avoids the 100MB system partition. If that is the case, I would suggest this command sequence:

DiskPart <ENTER>
list disk <ENTER>
select disk 0 <ENTER>
clean <ENTER> (Will be fast. The All parameter would write all zeros)
create partition primary align=1024 size=100000<ENTER> (size is 100GB)
format fs=ntfs quick <ENTER> (Will be fast)
assign <ENTER>
active <ENTER>
exit <ENTER>
exit <ENTER>

And since he did an alignment, he may be using a SSD. Then the 'All' parameter in Clean must be avoided. This parameter is anyhow useless in this context.

PS: I hope you don't mind me jumping in.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

@whs,

I understand from reading his post that he wanted to do a Traditional Install with small boot partition.

Windows will do that automatically if the hard drive space is unallocated.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Correct, but why would he then want to define a 100GB (not MB) active primary partition?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

I think he made a "Typo". :) :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Maybe you are right. Let's see what he'll say when he comes back.

Posted 5 years ago

hArLtRoN

Thank you guys for all of your input.
I want to do a one partition install so that I do not have the 100MB partition and I am using and HDD, have not had the chance to get an SSD yet, my cash is very limited.

Let me verify I understand right, if I want to have a 1 partition install with that partition being 100GB I should use this command sequence:

DiskPart <ENTER>
list disk <ENTER>
select disk 0 <ENTER>
clean <ENTER> (Will be fast. The All parameter would write all zeros)
create partition primary align=1024 size=100000<ENTER> (size is 100GB)
format fs=ntfs quick <ENTER> (Will be fast)
assign <ENTER>
active <ENTER>
exit <ENTER>
exit <ENTER>

Thank you guys for your help!

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Correct - provided that Disk0 is the disk to which you want to install. The 'align' parameter is of limited use for a HDD, but it does not hurt. I thought you put it there because you were using a SSD.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

NO !!

Have to define ALL Partitions BEFORE doing the Clean Install so NO disk space is left unallocated which forces Win7 NOT to make the small boot partition.

Understand ??? :)

Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

hArLtRoN

@whs,
Disk0 will be the only disk plugged in. I always unplug all of the discs except for the one I will be installing my OS to.

I had the "align" parameter in there only because it was how I've always done it after Rick's advice in numerous other postings.

Posted 5 years ago

hArLtRoN

@Rick,
So would I just create another partition after the first 100GB?

My HDD is 500GB and I want it to be laid out like this:

Partition 1 C:\ (Windows Installed Here) 100GB
Partition 2 E:\ (Personal Files Partition) 400GB

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Yes create First partition and format of 100GB and then create Second partition and format the remainder of HDD so ALL space on HDD is allocated and formatted BEFORE doing Clean Custom Install.

Posted 5 years ago

hArLtRoN

Alright, thanks!

So the final command sequence would be:

DiskPart <ENTER>
list disk <ENTER>
select disk 0 <ENTER>
clean <ENTER>
create partition primary align=1024 size=100000<ENTER>
format fs=ntfs quick <ENTER>
assign <ENTER>
active <ENTER>
select disk 0 <ENTER>
create partition primary align=1024 size=400000<ENTER>
assign <ENTER>
active <ENTER>
exit <ENTER>
exit <ENTER>

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

DiskPart <ENTER>
list disk <ENTER>
select disk 0 <ENTER>
clean <ENTER>
create partition primary align=1024 size=100000 <ENTER>
assign <ENTER>
active <ENTER>
select disk 0 <ENTER>
create partition primary <ENTER>
assign <ENTER>
exit <ENTER>
exit <ENTER>

Posted 5 years ago

hArLtRoN

Thank you very much!

I learn something new everyday!

Shawn C.

Posted 5 years ago

hArLtRoN

Thanks whs for your input as well :)

Shawn C.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

I would create the second partition with Disk Management once the OS is installed. I am not sure what happens when you do not specify an 'offset' parameter.

Posted 5 years ago

hArLtRoN

@whs,
What do you mean by "'offset' parameter?"

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

No Offset or Align on Second Partition.

Also in Windows 7, don't really need Align Command at all as that was only for Vista and Below.

Windows 7 and 8 automatically aligns sectors.

Have to define ALL disk geometry FIRST before Clean Installing OR System will make the little boot partition.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

hArLtRoN, 'offset' is a parameter in 'create partition' that makes the partition start after the offset. E.g. in your case, it would be 'offset=100000000' because the first partition is 100GB.

On the other hand, it says in the diskpart description:" If no offset is given, the partition is placed in the first disk extent that is large enough to hold it." But I am not 100% sure what that means. It could be that the partition is then put into the next available freespace - or not.

That's why I suggested to go the safe route and define that partition later with Disk Management.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

create partition primary [size=<n>] [offset=<n>] [id={ <byte> | <guid> }] [align=<n>] [noerr]

size=<n>

Specifies the size of the partition in megabytes (MB). If no size is given, the partition continues until there is no more unallocated space in the current region.

offset=<n>

The offset in kilobytes (KB), at which the partition is created. If no offset is given, the partition will start at the beginning of the largest disk extent that is large enough to hold it.

align=<n>

Aligns all partition extents to the closest alignment boundary. Typically used with hardware RAID Logical Unit Number (LUN) arrays to improve performance. <n> is the number of kilobytes (KB) from the beginning of the disk to the closest alignment boundary.

NO Size, Offset or Align needed on Second Partition.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Rick, what exactly does this mean:" the partition will start at the beginning of the largest disk extent that is large enough to hold it." Does that mean at the next available unallocated space ??

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Yes, the First partition will size and align as the script we gave and the Second partition will begin where the first stops and fill to the remainder of the disk if no size is given.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

OK, thanks. I guess I was thrown off by the wording "disk extent". Foreign language is difficult language - LOL.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

@whs,

New Tip:

When running Windows 8 with SSDs, can now leave Defrag Enabled as New Defrag Program Trims SSDs. :) :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs

That's good to know. But I have no plans for Windows 8.

Posted 5 years ago

hArLtRoN

The offset makes sense now. Thanks :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs

@Rick, I found this additional explanation regarding the defrag of SSDs in Windows 8:

"In Windows 8, when the Storage Optimizer (the new defrag tool) detects that the volume is mounted on an SSD - it sends a complete set of trim hints for the entire volume again - this is done at idle time and helps to allow for SSDs that were unable to cleanup earlier - a chance to react to these hints and cleanup and optimizer for the best performance. We do not do a traditional defrag (moving files to optimizer there location for space and performance) on SSDs."

Source

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.