The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Restore Points

(63 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by tsmith777
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 1253 times

tsmith777

Running win7 on a Dell 8500, using Ccleaner, SAS, Malwarebytes, Glary Utilities, and MSE. I don't know if one of these is the culprit or not, but my restore points are being deleted every other day, sometimes it leaves the last one for system safety and sometimes it deletes that one too. any ideas?

Posted 4 years ago

ReadandShare

Something is deleting those restore points... Process of elimination - MSE does not delete restore points. CCleaner can, but only manually by user. Hopefully, others can comment on the rest.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I did the process of elimination and still cannot find the culprit

Posted 4 years ago

whs

If anything, it would be the Glary stuff. I use all the other programs since years and never lost a restore point.

Another problem could be the size of your shadowstorage. If it is too small, old restore points will be deleted to make room for new ones. Check the size of your shadowstorage. The command is:

vssadmin list shadowstorage

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

whs, how do I check the size of the shadowstorage?

Posted 4 years ago

ReadandShare

tsmith:

1. To check size allocated for restore points: control panel - system - system protection - select the drive (usually your C drive) - configure - then position the slider to reflect the size you want.

2. Separately -- do you run MS Disk Clean? That one can delete restore points too -- if you want it to.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Yes, I do run ma disk clean

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

The size slider is set in the middle. disk storage 11.55gigs, current usage 7.5gigs

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I am not having the problem with my Toshiba laptop, the setting on it are slider almost completely to the left, total 10.00gigs. usage 1.24gigs. it has 5 restore points that have been there since Jan 14th, so no problem. Also running all of the same applications including Win 7

Posted 4 years ago

ReadandShare

Seems to me you have a heck of a lot more data on your Dell??

Dell - set to 11.55 G and current is already using 7.5G -- and that's just one (or perhaps two) restore point(s), correct? Makes sense that your system is deleting old restore point every other day...

Toshiba - set for 10G -- with five restore points using only 1.24 G? Given usage is only a small fraction of total -- then more restore points can accumulate without worries of older ones getting deleted.

Finally, when you run MS Disk Cleanup - do you click on the "More Options" tab to clean system restore points? THAT will erase all restore points except for the most recent one.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

No, I don't click on more options in ms disk clean up, how do I clean up the excess data on the Dell, and fix the deleting of the restore points?

Posted 4 years ago

whs

11.5GB is plenty of shadowstorage. It's good for 12 to 20 restore points (depends on size of data in C)

PS, use CCleaner for cleanup.

Just to let you know, restore points are not very reliable. Use imaging instead: http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....html?ltr=I

Posted 4 years ago

ReadandShare

whs:

OP said something in his Dell system is clearing out all but one restore points every other day. And yet, out of the 11.55G allocated storage, his one or two remaining restore points are still occupying more than half of that space (7.5G)! So given what he said, then no, his allocation is not adequate at all.

tsmith:

If you want to keep more restoration points, then allocate more space accordingly (say 30G or more) -- or else look at your system and see what is occupying so much space.

How big is your hard disk and how much of it is being used?

Posted 4 years ago

whs

A restore point takes 500MB to 1GB. No idea where the 7.5GBs come from. There must be more than 2 restore points. I wish the OP would look it up in cmd with vssadmin. Any other method is unreliable.

Posted 4 years ago

ReadandShare

Yes, I was taken back by the 7.5GB figure as well -- but basing on what he said, he shouldn't have more than 1 or 2 restore points if in fact something is deleting those points 'every other day'.

I have two restore points currently, and they occupy about 2G total.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I use Ccleaner daily and that dosen't seem to help, My hard drive is 1T. I currently have one restore point dated today accordng to Ccleaner

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

What I would do is follow the advice of whs above and make a system image. Then can go from there to check on restore point problem.

Posted 4 years ago

ReadandShare

You got 1,000GB (1T) -- and you allocate a measly 11GB for your restore points?

1. Go ahead and allocate 30GB for your restore points.
2. As above, if you haven't done a system backup -- do so -- plus make yourself a bootable rescue disk. I like EaseUS. It's reliable, easy to use, and free. Everyone should have both system backup and a couple of Windows restore points.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

whs, I ran cmd vssadmin and it said it not a valid command and it had little information, it says, delete volume shadow copies,
List registered Volume shadow copy providers, .
List shadows- List existing volume, List shadow storage- List volume shadow copy stroage associations.
List volumes eligable for shadow copies
List subscribed volume shadow copy writers
Resize a volume shadow copy storage

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I have a system backup already and I have a bootable rescue disk. I will change the restore points and make it 30gigs. I tried to change it to 30 gigs, but at max it will only got to 26.25 gigs that is the max it will allow.

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

Do what ReadandShare says above but follow whs post for using Macrium first.

Posted 4 years ago

Hermitt

Joe, something is wrong with that link you posted.
When I click it I get this.... http://www.sevenforums.com/

Jim

Posted 4 years ago

whs

You have to run cmd in elevated mode (open as admin). The command that lists the Allocated shadowstorage is:

vssadmin list shadowstorage

The command that shows you all restore points is :

vssadmin list shadows

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

@Jim, I don't know what happened there but whs is back. Was, just trying to say that a system backup was needed. Thanks.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

Do you have any maintenance utilities running on a schedule? like Defrag, check your A/V scan schedule and options

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

whs, here are the results, Used Shadow copy space is 7.247GB (27%)
Allocated shadow copy space 7.677GB 29%
Maximum Shadow copy Storage Space 26.25 100%
Used Shadow Copy Space 141.825MB 0%
Shadow Copy Storage Space 512MB 0%
Maximum Shadow Copy Storage Space 10GB 1%

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

germ-x no maintenance schedule running on anything

Posted 4 years ago

ReadandShare

@warlock:

"Do what ReadandShare says above but follow whs post for using Macrium first."

We all have our particular favorites... if you have specific insights as to why EaseUs falls short in systems backup -- please share. Otherwise, your post above is rather rude.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I already have a Macrium Image disk

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

Not trying to be rude but, what most here including myself use. If EaseUs works for you fine. Trying to make sure OP has a backup image before changing things. whs, a very senior member here has recommendations I would follow them. Again, just my opinion.

Posted 4 years ago

ReadandShare

warlock:

You succeeded without trying! Next time somebody recommends a solution and you wish to chime in with an alternative -- that's perfectly fine -- but word it as a suggestion for another good alternative. Unless you KNOW that an earlier suggestion is erroneous, there is no excuse to post as you did.

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

If you would check above I said Do what ReadandShare says above but follow whs post for using Macrium first. I still stand by that post. So that the OP has an image backup. As it turns out OP does use Macrium.

Posted 4 years ago

ReadandShare

warlock:

It's a shame that even after pointing it out, you simply do not recognize your own rudeness!! Try this:

Suppose YOU post a specific series of recommendations and I tell OP to follow the first part and don't folow the rest of it?? Unless the rest of it is plain erroneous, then I would be rude to you, no?

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

@ReadandShare, This is the end of our conversation. Stay on topic, help the OP if you can.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

@readandshare,

You have 95 Postings on the forum.

Please make and share a Profile with all of us.

Thanks,

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

ReadandShare

OP is already helped. You are the problem now. Over.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

See above.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Could we please stop the bickering and try to solve my problem. Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

Exactly and sorry, back on topic.

Posted 4 years ago

ReadandShare

Rick:

I never provide a profile on any of the forums. And I provide the barest minimum even on social sites such as FB.

To me, basic manners is not a function of profile, seniority or the number of posts.

Posted 4 years ago

ReadandShare

tsmith:

Following the steps I laid out for you earlier... I could configure the space all the way to fill my entire drive (or partition)! Not sure why you are only allowed 26GB maximum? Did you find that out via the command line, or did you click through the steps to configure as I suggested (Control Panel - System - System Protection, ....)?

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

@tsmith777, Did you try this, https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3195/create-a-system-restore-point-in-windows-7/

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

warlock, no since I only have one restore point that is dated today I don't think that will help

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

readandshare, both, followed your steps and whs's cmd post

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

Just thought we would see what size it comes up with. And if the old one stays too.

Posted 4 years ago

ReadandShare

tsmith:

Curious, while your entire drive is 1TB, did you create a 26GB partition -- and so that becomes the maximum available?

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

I don't know how to create a partition so the answer is no. I am a total novice when it comes to things like that.

Posted 4 years ago

ReadandShare

For now, tsmith, perhaps just leave the setting at 26GB -- and see if that will give you multiple restore points going forward. Truth be told, I find one restore point occupying 7.5GB extraordinarily large. But like I say, let's see how many restore points you can accumulate after a few days -- before your current one drops off...

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Ok

Posted 4 years ago

ronniesonora

tsmith777, have you looked at this http://news.softpedia.com/news.....9154.shtml

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

May be a little late or you have already discarded this but when the restore point box opens and you choose to restore there is a small check box that allows you to search for other restore points. Have you checked that.
One other suggestion is open Ccleaner and select tools > then click on system restore box. There it will show you all restore points stored on your HDD

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

ronniesonora, I have not tried that yet, is it safe?

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

germ-x, Ccleaner only shows one restore point dated yesterday. I don't see a check box to search for all restore points

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

Go to system protection > click on the system restore button > then next > in the lower left corner of the system restore box there is a small check box that says show me more restore points. Check this one and it should show all restore points available

Posted 4 years ago

ronniesonora

tsmith777, I haven't used it but being from softpedia I'm sure it's safe.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

germ-x Ok, I found it and it only show the same thing as Ccleaner the one dated yesterday.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

ronniiesonora, Ok I will try it. Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

Here are a few suggestions that might shed some light on the restore point dissappearing
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/missingrps.html

Posted 4 years ago

Straspey

@ tsmith777

Question for you:

Are you running a third-party defragmentation program ?

Sometimes these types of programs can interfere with the creation and/or delete the Volume Shadow Copies created by System Restore.

For instance, Diskeeper has a Volume Shadow Service (VSS) Compatible Mode defrag, which needs to be turned on.

Speaking of which - you should check to ensure that the "Volume Shadow Copy" service on your computer is enabled and set to run on Manual. System restore relies on this service.

You can also create a task in Task Manager to automatically create a restore point at the times you desire.

You can find the step-by-step procedure, along with the script which you can download and run yourself, in the following tutorial from Windows Seven Forums:

"How to Create System Restore Points with a Restart or Windows Task Scheduler"

http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....artup.html

Hope some of this is helpful.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

Volume Shadow Copy service was set on manual but was not started, I started the service

Posted 4 years ago

Straspey

That's a good start - see what happens and let us know.

Your problem is not all that uncommon, and a Google search will return threads on many other tech forums from people who had the same issue.

Posted 4 years ago

tsmith777

What I fail to understand is why it only effects this computer, I also have a Toshiba Laptop with Win 7 and the restore functions work perfectly.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

We don't know all the applications you have installed on this Dell. The other thing is Dell has preinstalled several maint apps that startup with the computer. Any of these can be causing your problem.
BTW I have a new Dell Inspiron and it has the Volume shadow set on manual and currently is in "not started state."

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.