The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Restore Back to Factory Settings

(45 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by sgs
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 118619 times

sgs

I have an Acer Aspire 4920G notebook running on Windows Vista Home Premium and I want to restore it back to factory settings. But when I went to the "Repair Computer" option in the advanced options screen, I got these options only:
Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows complete PC restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

There was no option for me to restore it back to factory settings.
So I just want to know how do you restore it back to factory settings without Recovery Disks.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Here is the procedure for a Gateway/E-Machines. But it should be very similar for your Acer:

1. Copy all your own files and folders to an external storage (Disc, USB stick even SD card - 1 GByte capacity should be ample - even 512 MB)
2. Shut the PC off
3. Turn the PC back on and keep hitting the F8 key repeatedly until the Advanced Boot Option Screen appears
4. Click "Repair Your Computer" –if you are not already on it, use the up and down arrows to maneuver to it and then press ENTER
5. Next you have to pick your country and click OK
6. On the "System Recovery Options Screen" click "Restore Application" (last option)
7. Follow the on-screen instructions
8. When prompted, click on "Full Factory Recovery"
9. Click "Next"
10. Click "Yes"
11. Go and have a cup of coffee - don't touch anything - for a while it seems like nothing is happening
12. After many minutes, recovery will complete and you click "Finish"

Posted 9 years ago

sgs

But I was not given the "Restore Application" option. Do you know why?

Posted 9 years ago

whs

It may say something a little different on an Acer. As I said, this is a Gateway setup. Since I do not have an Acer, I am not exactly certain what the option is at that point in time. Just look on the system recovery screen and pick the one that sounds most logical.

Posted 9 years ago

sgs

I tried "Windows Complete PC Restore - Restore your entire computer from a backup" but an error occured.

"An internal error occured. The following information might help you resolve the error:
Incorrect function. (0x80070001)"

And the thing is that I do not have a backup.

I also tried "System Restore" but it says that I do not have any restore points.

Posted 9 years ago

sgs

Are there any other ways to restore it back to Factory Settings?

Posted 9 years ago

Bartman

Just a shot in the dark but try start > type recovery in the start search box > does that bring up
recovery manager?

Posted 9 years ago

sgs

nope... it does not.

Posted 9 years ago

sgs

What should I do now? Should I bring it back and ask them to help me retore back to fatory settings?

Posted 9 years ago

whs

OK, let's go back to basics. Do you have a recovery partion (usually D:\) Have a look into "COMPUTER" > double click on D:\ and tell me what is on it.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

It would be handy if you could post a screenshot of your Disk Management window

Posted 9 years ago

sgs

Mine's on C:\. I have a "Partition" text document that read inside it:
rescan
select disk=0
select partition 4
assign letter=F

Does this help?

Posted 9 years ago

whs

I really don't know what this is. Don't you have a D:\ partition. It would help if you posted what Lighthouse suggested. It should look something like that. Note: My recovery happens to be E:\ because I have 2 disks in my box and D:\ was assigned to the second disk.

Posted 9 years ago

sgs

Posted 9 years ago

Bartman

Try alt + f10 at startup.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

sgs, whatever you posted last does not show - at least not here. That is what I see.

Posted 9 years ago

Lighthouse

Good one Bartman. (Alt+F10 for both Acer and Compaq)

Posted 9 years ago

Bartman

I have my moments :) Thanks!

Posted 9 years ago

sgs

Posted 9 years ago

sgs

er... can the screenshot be seen now?

Posted 9 years ago

Bartman

Nope. Are you using Photobucket or similar?

Posted 9 years ago

sgs

yea. but anyway... i tried ur suggestion and it works. thanks a lot man Bartman. restoring my notebook to fctory defaults now...

Posted 9 years ago

Bartman

You're welcome :)

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Very good Bartman. Now we know how to deal with Acer and Compac (I never had one of those).

Posted 9 years ago

Bartman

Thanks.

Posted 9 years ago

jestinu

dose anyone know if u save some stuff in the recovery drive <D> or the partitioned drive, will that data be saved when u do the factory restore?

Posted 8 years ago

whs

1. You should have no data on D:\ if D:\ is the recovery partition.
2. If you restore with an OEM installation disk, D:\ is most likely wiped out and recreated (but I cannot speak for all OEM's)
3. If you restore from D:\ (being the recovery partition), then D:\ is not being touched.
4. If you restore with a genuine MS Vista installation disk, I really don't know. But my guess would be that they format the whole disk because they let you size the partitions.
5. Some OEM's have a data save function (e.g. HP) during the reinstallation. But do not rely on it. The HP version, I happen to know, does not work and you loose your data.

Posted 8 years ago

jestinu

thanks for the quick responce, after i restore gonna add this web page to my fav's.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

You are welcome. Glad you like what you see.

Posted 8 years ago

LatinQueen

I just got a new work computer with vista installed. I have a dumb question. I have a D: drive called factory image. I want to know if I compress the data to save disk space will it help or hurt my computer.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Do NOT touch the D: partition. This is your lifeline for recovery. Do NOT write on it, do not compress, just do nothing with it. The one thing you should do asap is burn a recovery disk from D:\. I f you need guidance, let me know. But tell me what make your system is.

Posted 8 years ago

LatinQueen

Thank You. I have HP Pavilion Slimline. Plus, I found out I will get a laptop also for emergency. I was told the laptop is a HP Paviion Entertainment. I know I need some guidance. I don't want to mess up. I forgot both have Home & Student 2007.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

OK, several points:
1. To create your recovery disk (very important), type REC into the start/search field. Go to "Recovery disk creation" above (may take a minute to show up). That will get you to the Recovery Disk Creation Wizard that will guide you. You MUST have 2 DVD-R's handy to burn the recovery disk (CD's are no good - it would take 12 and there is too much risk of error). Note that you can burn this disk only once - so get it right the first time. This procedure should be good for both HP system - and make sure you burn the disks for both seperately.
Btw: I have an HP desktop and an HP laptop too. They are good machines. Only my Gateway is better.
2. The MS Home and Student 2007 that came with your system is only a trial version. Buy the full version eventually ($100 to $149 depending where you buy). This package is worth every penny. Experiment with the trial version in the meantime. That will give you an idea. Especially Word, Powerpoint and the Picture Manager are what I use all the time. The books on this site http://perspection.com/office_books.htm are excellent for learning.
3. Do not hesitate to contact us with any question you might have. We will be glad to help. But next time, start your own thread. You kind of highjacked this one.

Posted 8 years ago

LatinQueen

I have bought home & student 2007. so far, i like the programs. I have burned the recovery disk. will i get more free space? i have another question. I have notice on my friend's laptop the free space bar is just started to turn red. How can i help her to fix that problem. she also the same type of laptop.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

1. After burning the recovery disk you will not get more space. Keep the recovery partition (D:\) because it may come in handy one day. And make sure nothing is being written on it. Especially if you initiate file/folder backup/restore you have to watch it because D:\ is the default there. You have to assign another drive (e.g. an external disk, a USB stick, optical drive, etc.).
2. I do not understand the question regarding the freespace bar on your friends laptop turning red. Can you post a picture?

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

When a disk starts to get full, Vista shows the capacity gauge in red. This is taken from "Computer" with the View set to Tile:

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Ohh, OK, Of course. That's it. If this is happening on your friends Recovery partition, the cause could be from Backups. You better clean this up and assign another drive for the file backup.

Posted 8 years ago

LatinQueen

How do I get started? Please write down step by step how to creat another drive.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

I don't think you want to create another drive (disk partition). If it is your recovery disk that's full, just delete the files that do not belong there - or you can move them to an external device (USB stick, external disk, CD). If you are not sure which is which, double click on the drive, take a snip of the files/folders it shows and post it here. Then we can have a look at it and tell you what does not belong there.
PS: When I said "Assign another drive for backup", I meant an external drive (USB, CD).

Posted 8 years ago

LatinQueen

I will tell my friend to take snip fo the file/folders before she transfer the files to her external hard drive. Once again, thanks for all your help.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

OK, post the snip when available.

Posted 8 years ago

LatinQueen

We are still learning how to use the computer. We are having trouble to snip. I can tell you when i open recovery (D:) I don't see any files or folders. It warns me this is a recovery partition. I looked at the properties. Free space is 3.26 MB Used space is 6.26 GB.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

1. The D: partition looks good. Is that the one that turns red? It should not, because there is enough free space. And you should see at least one folder when you open it. It is usually called "Recovery" or maybe "Acer...something". That folder, however, you cannot open because it has hidden files. No point to look into it anyhow.
2. For snipping, press start > All Programs > Accessories > Snipping tool. Right click on it and "Pin to Start menu". Then you can launch it from the start menu. But you can also do "Add to Quick Launch" or whatever is most convenient for you. The snipping tool is easy to use. Just drag the cursor from left top to bottom right over the area you want to snip. Release the cursor once you covered the desired area, and voila the snip. Then go to "File" > Save as > give it a name > save. Then you find the snip in "Pictures".

Posted 8 years ago

musta

Hi, guys here is a tough one for ya...
I had brought an Acer Aspire 4520G in April 2008. Out of some real bad judgment I deleted Vista home premium that came with it. I partitioned the hard drive and installed XP professional. But I could not use any of my hardwares. So I reinstalled Vista but Vista ultimate. Now at present I am still unable to use all my hardwares. Has my laptops "factory reset" option permanently gone or do I have any hope?

BTW I read that you helped a guys with the same laptop with some what similar condition.Will be glad if you could help.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Welcome musta. Please could you post your problem in a "New Topic". It will get more attention.

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.