• Started 8 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 4852 times

whs

http://cid-475a0a48ca6d4035.sk.....ylane1.wmv
You have to download the file. It is a .wmv file - for Windows Media Player

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

There are about 10 things in there, relevant to the UK in that period.

Posted 8 years ago

Scott

Nice one, here are some commercials, http://www.roadode.com/classicindex.shtml

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

Thanks whs. That was an excellent visual illustration of this:

http://www.c-boom.com/humor2.htm

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

Hey Bartman. For me, especially this one "You look forward to a dull evening" :)

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

I know what you mean. Isn't that sad,pitiful? :)

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

Hehe. It's the only time I get to relax :) Doesn't happen often enough 'tho'

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Bartman, I like those sayings - I'll have to paste them on the wall.

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

whs, I thought you wrote 'em?

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

The one that really hits home for me is "you scout for a warmer place to spend the long cold winters".

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

So are you looking for some place cold (to hibernate), or some place warm (to luxuriate) ?

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

Some place warm to live, work, and luxuriate.

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

Where I live is good :) Can you speak French?

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

No kidding! No, but wish I did.

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

So you would probably be better in Florida?

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

That's what I've been considering. I do have a relative who lives in Bradenton, just south of Tampa.

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

Well, I don't know the area. But I am sure that there are some on this forum that do :)

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

I think that if I could sell my house today, I would move down there tomorrow. :)

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

Go for it. It's no good (at the end of your life, thinking:) "If only I had done that", or, "I wish I'd tried that"

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

I'm starting to have those kinds of thoughts already. ( Not that I'm at the end of my life )
Good advice, LH, thanks. :)

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

For example. I will probably move from here (maybe next year, or the year after). I've no idea where to. I will wait and see what the circumstances are the day before I go. I never plan things like that in advance :)

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

I'm not much for long range planning either. I tend to do things on impulse, which has worked for me
in most instances, but has also turned around to bite me a few times. Life is short so we might as well
make the most of it while we can.

Posted 8 years ago

sparky7415

I miss those days,when a young kid could collect coke bottles and refund them and see 2 feature movies for under a dollar!

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

Yeah, back when a dollar was actually worth something.
I long for those days too!

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

A dollar is worth a lot. (in the UK) :)

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

Don't rub it in!! :)

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

It's the metric system, right?

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

No. It's not the metric system. It's the £'s and the Euro's, that are attacking the $

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

I was trying an obscure movie reference on you.
Sorry, American humor can be a little hard to understand.

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

2 references I think
"Yeah, back when a dollar was actually worth something".
"I long for those days too"!

Wow...talk about obscure.

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

The movie reference was from Pulp Fiction. ( metric system )

What was obscure about the two other ones?

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

Forget it LH. I wasn't trying to start anything. :)

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Bartman, If you really want to move to Florida, I can give you some tips on what to do and what not to do. Bradenton is not bad, but there is a lot of crime in Manatee county. North of Tampa is better - and cheaper. A house like this currently goes for 200K.

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

Hey Bartman. I have not yet seen Pulp Fiction :)

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

whs: What I probably should do is pay a visit to my relative and take a look around.
I will take a look at north side. Thanks a bunch. PS:If you have some tips to pass along
please do. I would appreciate it.

LH: If you like Quentin Tarantino movies you will like Pulp Fiction. Reservoir Dogs
is good, too.

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

I have a DVD of Reservoir Dogs (for over a year). Haven't got round to watching it yet :(

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

What do I have to do, come over there and strap you into a chair and make you watch it?:):)
'Cause I will!!:)

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

Hey. I'm too busy hacking registry's and (other) things to waste time watching films
But you're always welcome. We have space for visitors (the weirder the better)

Posted 8 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i you want to work on your hacking skills you could go here: (Edit by mod. Not good to post that here).

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

Any space for space visitors from outer space?
What are these other things? Not visitors, I hope.:)

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

Space for all... and sundry :)

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Bartman, since you asked:
1. One tip is to look for a house that is on the market. Either a recent built or a spec home. That is usually a lot cheaper than building one yourself. And if it was preowned, it should be debugged - and believe me, the builders make a lot of mistakes. Other advantage is that you can check out the neighborhood. If you build in one of those new developments, you never know how things are going to develop.
2. Another thing to watch out for is housing taxes. They can vary a lot.
3. Further, don't build near the water or a river or creek. You will have trouble getting flood insurance. House insurance is anyhow a big problem in Florida. Most companies do not write insurances any more. Hurricans, floods and sinkholes being the most common reason. So get an idea of what the insurance bill will be before closing.
4. Energy efficiency is becoming more and more of a problem. Most houses in Fl are single pane windows and the insulation on the walls is reduced to a sheet of foil. That, of course, you could control better when you build yourself.
5. Pools are a pain in the neck. I know that this is one big thing for northeners when they move to Fl. But the cost is going to eat you alive - cost of maintenance and the cracks most people seem to get. We have a large hottub which is very easy to maintain (if you get an ozonator). No chemicals and I refill it every 6 weeks. This is very nice, especially if you have a courtyard house like us. See here http://i260.photobucket.com/al.....isk004.jpg
6. You must have your own well for the sprinklers, the hottub, etc. Else you end up with a $500 water bill during the winter months - during the summer it rains enough.
There are a lot more things, I am sure. Maybe techgranny has a few tips too. She is a builder, I think.

Posted 8 years ago

techgranny

Yeah, we're builders. Bartman, the area you're looking in is a lot more expensive than the Panhandle where I live, but there are some real bargains right now. As a builder, I disagree with whs about the new or spec homes. They use the cheapest possible building materials and labor. As a former realtor, I always recommend an older home that has been renovated up to code. Just be sure to hire your own inspector. Never rely on the realtor or lenders inspectors, they don't work for you.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

techgranny, you got a good point about the spec homes. I forgot about that. But the panhandle would not be my deal - you guys shiver in winter. The problem with the older homes is that they are very often built in wood - who wants that in the middle of termite heaven. They also have low ceilings - that may be energy efficient, but it is depressing. The point about the inspector is excellent. I built with a builder (whilst I was in Europe) and had a lawyer and inspector supervising it. Still, there were nits and lice.

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

Yes, I learned from my Aunt, the one who lives in Bradenton, she's about your age, btw, that insurance
is a big problem down there. Oh well, the price of living in paradise, I suppose. Maybe I'll look into
rentals, for the short term anyway. Well, this is alot to digest. I'm going to give this some thought
and do some investigating while I'm down there this winter. Aunt is a snowbird so she is in Ohio right
now. Thank again for your help whs, you are truly a kind and generous person.

Posted 8 years ago

techgranny

The only problems I've seen with termites is people who don't treat their homes. You can usually find most any ceiling height your looking for. We actually love people who buy new homes. They always end up calling us to fix them:) Also, the homeowner insurance in FL is a nightmare! If one more insurance company pulls out of the state, we're all going to have to be self insured.

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

House insurance? what's that. The only insurance I've ever had, was for riding motorcycles, (and only then, because it was illegal not to have it).

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

Oh! Just saw your post techgranny. The bargains you speak of, are they in the panhandle?
Yes,an older home was kind of what I had in mind. Actually, I would prefer to live in a
smaller town, but close enough to the best employment opportunities, if you follow my meaning.
The traffic and congestion of the bigger cities would be too much for me to deal with.
The panhandle area would be fine with me, still much warmer than Indiana!

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

LH: It's a curse we are blessed with here in the US.

Posted 8 years ago

techgranny

Bartman, actually, the bargains are throughout Florida. I think we have the largest glut of homes for sale in the country. The panhandle has plenty of small town charm but the employment opportunities are not that of larger cities depending on your profession. The weather here is fantastic and very much warmer than Indiana!

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

Looks like I might be booking a ticket on the QE2 (or whatever the modern equivalent is).

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

How is the home building industry doing down there? My profession has been in the home building area.
I say has been because I've been laid off since January due to the conditions in this part of the
country as well as many others. I'm really in between a rock and a hard place here.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

The panhandle is not really warm in winter - they get freezes very often (if I can believe the weather report). This is not the Florida you see on the picture postcards (in winter I mean). Even 30/40 miles north of us, it is already a lot colder. And that is far south of the panhandle. I live 40 minutes outside metropolitan Tampa (area of 3 million). There should be jobs there for anybody. But you should come and look around next winter. I am sure you will find the area you like. Rule of thumb: The further south you go, the pricier it gets. And near the water, it is unaffordable.
PS: just saw your post. There is very little building in Florida because of the high inventory that techgranny mentioned. And they say, that will last for at least 3 years.

Posted 8 years ago

sparky7415

Being a member of the IBEW(electrians)I see more work in other states than my own,Las Vegas looks real good at about $40.00 per hour.I might get back into gambling.

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

After living in the Midwest most of my life even some cold weather would seem nice compared with what I
have to contend with for 4-5 months out of the year around here!

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

Might have to go back to driving a truck, though it's not really what I enjoy that much.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Truck driving must be fun. I always wanted to be a truck driver.

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

It's a good opportunity to travel all around the country and see places you might not otherwise get to see. But it takes a toll on you after a while, alot of time stuck in that truck, you could be away from home for 1-2 weeks at a time.

Posted 8 years ago

techgranny

True, new houses aren't being built, but we're not speculators. We're small mom and pop community builders. People can't sell their homes so they're staying put and adding on and renovating. It's all good for us!

Posted 8 years ago

whs

I know what you are talking about. I had to travel millions of miles - but thru the air. And 1-2 weeks was a short leave.

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

I need a vacation anyway. Never been to see Aunties place yet, so I'm just going to give it a shot and see what I can find.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

In my development alone, I counted 68 out of 705 houses for sale - that was in April when I was doing my monthly crime watch night. That is about 10%. And they said that there were about 800 for sale in our zip code alone. Bad times for sellers, good times for buyers.

techgranny, how big is the town/county where you live?

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

That could be a bit of a problem for me too. Being able to get a decent price for my house.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

As I said, for 200 grand you can find a nice home. But then I do not know the price levels in Indiana. I know that most people that came from the north/east did very well.

Posted 8 years ago

techgranny

whs, I think Escambia is a little too big nowadays:) This might shed more light,

http://www.ewebengine.com/engi...../en/23724/

Posted 8 years ago

whs

techgranny, it looks like there is a good selection in the mid 200's. I would only consider offerings in a subdivision. It is usually a little more expensive, but a lot quieter and safer. With the crime rate in the US being 30 times as high as in Germany, that is always an argument for me.

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

Wow whs. Is the crime rate really that bad? I thought they had the 3 strike rule.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

The 3 strike rule is in California and maybe in some other state(s) that I don't know. But by us in Florida, someone gets killed every day as to the local news. Very often by the police. In my German home area I have not heard about someone getting killed in 15 years (but maybe I missed a couple).

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

Either your aim is getting bad. Or you need a better scope :)

Posted 8 years ago

whs

What is that supposed to mean?

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

I quote you "(but maybe I missed a couple)" :) All in fun whs.

Posted 8 years ago

sparky7415

I thought it was funny,I love it when you two mix it up.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

I DO NOT aim at people. Just at garden dwarfs. I hate those things.

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

gnomes, gnomes, gnomes :)

Posted 8 years ago

Scott

Let's all chip in and get whs a new companion

Posted 8 years ago

whs

That one makes a good target!

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqmM3_-qodU

Posted 8 years ago

Bartman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__5SpknFLC8

Posted 8 years ago

whs

What is this? A dwarf invasion?

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

You started it :)

Posted 8 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

wow lol

Posted 8 years ago

Scott

They're coming to take you away, haha

she is too :)

Posted 8 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

that is a lot of dwarfs/gnomes hehe

Posted 8 years ago

Gnome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-KLbW-3mhc

Posted 8 years ago

whs

lol, I guess I have to get the big guns out. That IS cute!

Posted 8 years ago

Gnome

Posted 8 years ago

techgranny

whs, this is what you get for disrespecting the gnomes:D

Posted 8 years ago

whs

ya, They are all over me. But I am prepared!

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.