The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

RegClean Pro says I have 1433 Registry errors

(48 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by billy12345
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 17699 times

billy12345

Reading an old thread, came across some thing about comp acting slow, and a "speed test", which led to "RegClean Pro" which said I would see an amazing difference in speed. Never said it was $29.95, though. I did the free scan, and that's what it said, 1433 errors. It "fixed" 15 errors for free. But $29.95 for the full program to fix the rest to really speed up computer performance.

Registry Section - 1033 errors
Com and ActiveX errors - 86
User related errors - 42
Startup and Uninstall errors - 272

I think my comp is slow, can this be the reason? Or is this bogus, just another scam to get some money?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

billy12345,

Just another scam to get some money !!!!

Are you running FREE Ccleaner and Defraggler ????

They will help. :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

No, I don't have Ccleaner and Deefraggler. This RegClean thing says its a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner, all official lookin' stuff.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

billy12345,

I was once a MS Cerfied Partner.

That does NOT mean anything but a Business Relationship.

It's your money, do as you please with it.

If you Must have registry cleaner, I'l post a link for you to a Free one.

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

No, I don't want to pay for it, and I believe what you said previously, that's why I was asking here. They sure can make things look fancy and tempting, like it is the answer to all your problems. I can't really have 1433 errors, can I?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Trow this thing into the bin - but asap. It is all fake.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

billy12345,

They are NOT errors but just left over bits and pieces of orphan Registry entries that
normally occur when running Windows.

Even after a Clean Install, there may be 500 to 700 such Registry entries that don't hurt anything and are not used.

I'll post you a link and you can check but don't remove them.

http://www.eusing.com/free_reg.....leaner.htm

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

Okay, so much for a quick easy fix to speed up a slow poke computer. Thanks for the info and the heads up on a fancy looking bogus site.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Billy, there are no quick solutions for a slowpoke system. The best cure is usually a reinstall, more RAM and an SSD. But there are no shortcuts.

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

whs, I told you before in another thread how I had doubled my ram from 1GB to 2GB and saw no difference at all. You explained how I could check to find out if the new ram was defective, but the process was complicated (for me). But I really would like to see if I could make it through it, even though I would guess it must be a long shot, it can't be very common to have it be defective, but as I said I had no difference. And I ran one of the memory configurators at the time to make sure I got compatible sticks, I even spoke to them on the phone about the system I had and about them being compatible, etc.

Not much info on "tweaking" XP to get more speed out of it from what I have looked at so far.

Posted 6 years ago

marks100

CCLEANER- http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/

DEFRAGGLER- http://download.cnet.com/Defra.....52905.html

REVO -to remove all trace's (most) of unwanted programs - http://download.cnet.com/Revo-.....ag=mncol;1

mark.

Posted 6 years ago

JohnZoher

The truth is the more corrupt registry files your computer has, the more it struggles to read them. The files which makes it run slower and slower. To fix this, you simply need to use a registry cleaner which will work by scanning through the registry and fixing any bad files that are in there. This then allows Windows to read as many files as it wants, when it wants to. That's why registry cleaners are useful. Isn't it obvious?

Posted 6 years ago

marks100

@ JohnZoher hi, that is true but if you use revo in one of my above links to remove unwanted programs, then ccleaner you will find it will run nice i have all

installed on my desktop Xp pro runs really well and a DEFRAGGLER makes all the difference as it sorts out your system files in order makeing it run faster in Xp .

mark. your statement '' That's why registry cleaners ( we recommend ccleaner) are useful. most give a false sense indication that they are doing the job

you will find they do more harm (slowing) than good.

Posted 6 years ago

JohnZoher

Yeah, I used CCLEANER before but now I prefer PC Tools utilities and SpeedUpmypc from uniblue. Also auslogics boostspeed is very good with even more features. Just my 2 cents.

Posted 6 years ago

Seasider2

Take marks100 s advice. That is software that does the trick, will not mess up your pc and is recommended by many experience people on this site. Any other stuff could cause you more problems.
Make my pc faster software is rarely, if ever, suggested here.

Harry

This is just one review on SpeedUpMyPC. http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews146947.html

Posted 6 years ago

JohnZoher

I used SpeedUpMyPC on one of my old computers. Luckily I haven't installed it on my new pc.

Posted 6 years ago

vistamike

Steer well clear of uniblue products, they will certainly cause more problems. Stick to the above as recommended by mark and others.
So called registry cleaners are mostly scams. You will find many topics here regarding reg cleaners

Mike

Posted 6 years ago

ispalten

John,

"The truth is the more corrupt registry files your computer has, the more it struggles to read them.", sorry, NOT true...

If anything is CORRUPT in the registry, you are in big trouble.

Usually Registry problems, missing file links, empty keys, and orphaned entries, are about all you'll see in the registry in terms of problem. Missing file links are the most prevalent I'd say. Point to a program or file that doesn't exist. None of these are CORRUPT in the sense the entry can't be read.

Dangerous removals are the non-obvious ones. Those 'empty' keys and missing file links, which can contain other data. Remove some (not all) of these and you can have problems, some a long time later.

Why is the Registry a contributor to slow running and booting? Because it is a LARGE file and depending how accessed it can take time. That is why cleaners tend to offer up some relief in booting and starting some programs, but it isn't really a significant time savings either. Matter of fact, many things removed, such as Most Recently Used (MRU) Lists will be put right back by programs.

If a system is running slow and gets slower over time, it usually can be traced to added start up programs and services, not the growth/bloat of the registry.

Irv S.

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

As per marks100, think I'll give a shot at running Ccleaner, Defraggler, and Revo, in that order and see how things go...we shall see. Thanks all.

Posted 6 years ago

LH

Run Defraggler last.

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

billy12345, What are the spec's of your system? Mobo, CPU, Ram, Hdd,
Have you looked at your startup programs to see if something is hogging your system down.
When was the last time you removed all your unwanted cookies, temp files, etc.
Ccleaner will do this for you.
When you did your free scan and got the 1433 errors did you scroll down and look at some? They might be leftover junk from uninstalled programs as mentioned above. Some you probably recognized at least in part.
Stick with the recommended utilities as suggested above as they are safe and infact they do a pretty good job.

g-x

Posted 6 years ago

marks100

revo will show you a screen of all your programs you have installed any you wish to remove click on the icon the select ''uninstall'' at the top ''toolbar'', you then will see a box select ''advance mode'' it will make a back-up then create a ''restore point'' if the program came with a uninstaller it will use that when its finished click ''scan'' then select all, > delete > then click Finnish all traces of that program will be removed.

mark.

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

I did all 3 of them.
1. Is running Ccleaner the same as deleting temp internet files, etc...only more efficient?
2. Is Defraggler the same as running disk defragmenter... " " "
3. Is Revo same as add/remove program I have... " " "

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

billy12345,

YES and BETTER if you Configure the programs correctly. :) :)

Enjoy !

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

germ-x - Don't know anything about specs on mobo or where to find it. Processor says 3800+ 1.01GHz. A 250GB Hard Drive, memory is DDR PC3200. Has 4 slots, came with 1GB (2x512). Maximum is 4GB. I later doubled it to 2GB by adding another 512 into each of the 2 remaining empty slots, but it made absolutely no difference at all. I spoke with whs on here about it, he said there was a way to check if they were defective, but it's a complex process (for me) to try to do. Everyone said I should have seen a good difference. I was thinking maybe the CPU of only 1.01GHz can only handle 1GB well? But then, why would comp have 4 slots and be rated for a maximum of 4GB?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Billy, is this a HP system?

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

no, Acer

Posted 6 years ago

ispalten

Adding RAM and going from 1GB to 2GB's will have LIMITED improvement. You will see IMPROVEMENT in 2 SPECIFIC CASES....

1) Booting WILL be faster than before. How much faster, depends on other criteria, CPU, system BUS speed, Disk rotational speed, and amount of programs, device drivers, and services loaded at start up.

2) Program loading, and occasionally data loading and saving.

All this usually would be under ONE special circumstance. You had USED all available memory before. XP's foot-print, the amount of RAM it normally uses is around 1/2 a GB but other programs will consume more. If you NEVER were swapping, you'd see NO IMPROVEMENT. Also, even if you were, the performance gain or improvement would be miniscule compared to the overall time to do something, like boot or load a program or data. We're talking seconds of improvement at best, not minutes.

Irv S.

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

Think I'm about ready to lay this to rest, going back and forth getting conflicting opinions on here as to whether or not doubling that ram from 1GB to 2GB should have made a difference. Like I said, it made NONE. Nada. Zip. I have broadband internet connection (Comcast Cable), and when I doubled the ram I was hoping it would be faster when I clicked on something to change to the next page. I would like that better than a faster boot/internet connection, because once you're on, you're on. Then you don't have to deal with boot speed for a while again. Every so often I call Comcast and tell them things seem slow and they check, etc. But no difference.

Now I'll see if doubling the ram from 1 to 2 on my laptop makes a differrence, I got the memory in the mail the other day, bunch of things they say I should do before putting it in.

So, looks like I'm beating a dead horse as far as speed goes on the desktop. Maybe it's just a "lemon". I know guys with similar, not exact, setups, that have Verizon Internet (slower than Comcast Cable), and when they click on things, the page changes alot faster than mine.

Maybe I should put aside some $$$ and think about some new W7 systems. I hear XP is kind of on it's last legs, and Vista was never a favorite. My desktop is XP, laptop is Vista. And besides, it really stinks working on one, then going to the other one and being on a different OS. Sure would make things simpler having desktop and laptop both have the same system.

Posted 6 years ago

LH

You are confusing computer speed, with Internet speed. 2 totally different things.

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

I am? So do you mean adding ram has nothing to do with how quickly the page changes after you click on something? What is the difference?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Right, The internet speed depends on the speed of your DSL and the amount of hops that you are being routed thru. More RAM does nothing for you there.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

The computer CAN be setup to give the PRECEPTION of FAST GUI speed by "tweaking" and "configuring" properly.

(Can Flip a Screen in a Blink of an Eye)

However, the Internet Speed is the speed plan that you purchased from your ISP.

That's All Folks. :) ;)

Rick P.

Posted 6 years ago

LH

I pay for 28mbs. I get 5 (on a good day).

Posted 6 years ago

whs

There are really two components:

1. The upload/download speed - that is ruled by the speed of your DSL and the speed at which the respective server feeds or receives.

2. The access time to a webpage - that is ruled by the amount of hops thru which your request is being routed. This you can check with the Tracert command:

C:\Windows\system32>tracert /?

Usage: tracert [-d] [-h maximum_hops] [-j host-list] [-w timeout]
[-R] [-S srcaddr] [-4] [-6] target_name

Options:
-d Do not resolve addresses to hostnames.
-h maximum_hops Maximum number of hops to search for target.
-j host-list Loose source route along host-list (IPv4-only)
-w timeout Wait timeout milliseconds for each reply.
-R Trace round-trip path (IPv6-only).
-S srcaddr Source address to use (IPv6-only).
-4 Force using IPv4.
-6 Force using IPv6.

The simple command is TRACERT WEBADDRESS, e.g. Tracert howtogeek.com - the result is:

Tracing route to howtogeek.com [208.43.115.82]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.254
2 14 ms 14 ms 14 ms adsl-179-105-1.gnv.bellsouth.net [74.179

3 21 ms 21 ms 20 ms 70.159.215.10
4 20 ms 21 ms 20 ms 70.159.215.8
5 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms 12.81.80.6
6 20 ms 21 ms 20 ms 12.81.80.1
7 21 ms 21 ms 21 ms 12.83.23.182
8 20 ms 20 ms 20 ms 12.81.28.21
9 29 ms 29 ms 29 ms 74.175.192.34
10 49 ms 49 ms 48 ms cr2.ormfl.ip.att.net [12.122.106.70]
11 49 ms 48 ms 48 ms cr1.attga.ip.att.net [12.122.5.142]
12 49 ms 49 ms 48 ms cr2.wswdc.ip.att.net [12.122.1.174]
13 47 ms 48 ms 47 ms 12.123.10.137
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 48 ms 47 ms 47 ms border2.te7-2-bbnet2.wdc008.pnap.net [21
.99]
16 50 ms 49 ms 51 ms te1-1.cer02.sr01.wdc01.networklayer.com
100.70]
17 47 ms 49 ms 48 ms po2.fcr01.sr01.wdc01.networklayer.com [2
8.138]
18 48 ms 47 ms 49 ms howtogeek.com [208.43.115.82]

Trace complete.

Posted 6 years ago

ispalten

You are looking at apples and oranges, at least I think so without more info.

Is the Desktop using the SAME way to get too the Internet as the Laptop? That is are they both wired or wireless?

Even if the wired same connection, there are 100Mbps and 1Gps network cards.

If wireless, there is basically G and N Protocol devices today, are both the same?

If even the same, are they the same distance from the router and are walls in the way? Are there possible INTERFERENCE devices nearby?

Best thing to do is RUN one of the MANY SPEED TESTS available on the web on both machines. If they are the same, then the problem is within your computer that is slow.

There are TCP/IP tweaks one can do (with what seems to me to be minimal gains) to get more speed, see http://www.speedguide.net/articles.php?category=93 so maybe all you need is some tuning?

In any event, ONLY if you were actually SWAPPING memory out to load a NEW web page (and it had to be larger than the one before and the old memory space would have been used) would the addition of more memory helped.

I don't think you ever got conflicting advice? Adding RAM is the best/cheapest way to get better performance, HOWEVER, there is a caveat on this. You must be swapping, and even in XP, it can use over the old 1GB you had in the machine. It is a subtle point, but you should have understood this?

Irv S.

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

So what's an example of computer speed vs internet speed?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Billy, those are 2 pairs of shoes. Your CPU and RAM is essential when you run programs - and some programs (e.g. video work) require a lot of it.

On the internet, CPU speed and RAM are of very minor importance. Here you depend on your line speed and how well your ISP is routing your requests.

Posted 6 years ago

ispalten

Billy, I don't understand your last question?

Computer speed is determined by the operation to be performed and speed of the individual components involved. There is a big difference between playing a game and a disk intensive program for instance. Another would be writing a letter/document. Three different processes that would act differently.

Game - depends on genre, action or fairly static, let's say a first person shooter, car race, or hidden object game. Let us just consider non-internet versions too. The first two would more depend on the video aspects of the game, that would determine the level of detail and the speed of the action. A good example of this is MS's Flight Simulator. It outputs the video, called frame rate based on the detail an options you enable. Don't have enough video memory and select a lot of options (video detail) and the frame rate slows down. Part of that equation is the processor and how fast it can create the needed image as well. Go below 20 or so frames per second and the output will appear jerky. Not a good experience.

'Stable' display games like Hidden Object games might not put a load on your system, in that the display will show the detail that it can, set by the resolution you choose. Since the scene hardly changes, other than a removal of an item and some word changes, even the slowest computer can handle this easily. Only performance related item based on CPU and disk speed would be going between scenes.

Internet speed, well it varies all over the place. Some or actually most of it, out of your control. What you can control is the speed you purchase, depends on your ISP and even how much traffic is on the ISP's line you are on. Individual network cards AND drivers can effect overall speed too. Almost all h/w in desktops that are hard wired is fast enough to handle any speed an ISP gives you. Wireless, another story. Depending on Protocol used (speed, N or G), distance from the Router, quality of the router and its firmware, and any possible signal interference (portable phones, microwaves, etc.), and distance from the router, you can drop below the speed delivered by the ISP.

Do you have a specific question?

Irv S.

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

here is some interesting reading that might help clear things up a little
http://forum.soft32.com/window.....50918.html
What kind of video card do you have?
Have you run the speed test as suggested above. If it's very slow then call your ISP provider and explain what results you are getting vs. what you are paying for. I am sure they have their own site for speed testing so you can try the one they suggest.
One of several other things is your wireless card. You might want to check for either a firmware or software upgrade.
I don't recall you saying if you are wireless or hard wired when on the internet. Are you going through a router? If yes, when was the last time you reset it.
The other is you never answered if it is internet speed that is a bummer or computer speed when not on the internet.

g-x

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

sheeesh...lotta' stuff you guys are throwing at me, I think you forget that most of the jargon you guys use is way over my head. I don't want to wear out your finger tips typing lots of stuff I can't understand.

When I talk about speed, and things being slow, I'm always thinking about internet stuff. Looking up stuff on the internet, clicking on different things and waiting for the page to change, etc. Because that is what I am using comp for almost always. I'm thinking that to you guys, when I talk about speed and things being slow, you guys are thinking about things like doing something in Works, or Word or Notepad, etc., where the internet isn't even involved. Ya' just click away at certain things, and see how fast or slow things change. Is that the difference? Like where LH, above, said I was confusing computer speed with internet speed.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Billy, reread this. That should make it clear:

Billy, those are 2 pairs of shoes. Your CPU and RAM is essential when you run programs - and some programs (e.g. video work) require a lot of it.

On the internet, CPU speed and RAM are of very minor importance. Here you depend on your line speed and how well your ISP is routing your requests.

And if you are mostely on the internet and that is slow, you should talk to your Internet provider. And be aware that a faster line speed (which they may try to sell you) only helps with uploads and downloads. But clicking between internet pages is a matter of the amount of hops as I have explained earlier.

Posted 6 years ago

germ-x

Billy, You keep asking questions but haven't provided any good input for us to help you.
Does your internet connection go through a router?
Do you have a wireless adapter card in your computer? Are you running a wireless or hardwired connection.
We have all pretty well figured out you are having slow internet problems. That is about all so far.
When you installed Ccleaner and ran it did it help any?
Was you computer ( internet )ever faster then it is now? If so what changed?

g-x

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

Some answers being asked of me:

ispalten - you asked if my dsktp/lptp both wired or wireless? Dsktp plugged in to power, and to Comcast Cale. Laptop wireless, using a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router. Don't know about the network cards, or G and N Protocol Devices. Router sits on the comp desk. Laptop usually used with one wall separating it from router.

whs - you say on the internet, ram is of very minor importance. So I guess all the times when people are saying more ram, more ram, they mean it will benefit "computer speed", not internet speed?

So you cannot buy more of "-------" to speed up your internet clicking going page to page, etc.? You are at the mercy of your ISP. I have cable, thats the fastest.

Did a speed test. Download 1968kbps/Upload 2918kbps. Is that considered slow or fast? Don't know what Comcast Cable claims to give me, I'll have to call and ask.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

"whs - you say on the internet, ram is of very minor importance. So I guess all the times when people are saying more ram, more ram, they mean it will benefit "computer speed", not internet speed? "

Correct - you got it.

PS: Your download speed I would consider "average". Your upload speed is fast - better check whether that is the right number. But as I said, that says nothing about the access and switching between webpages. Here you are at the mercy of the hops.

Posted 6 years ago

ispalten

Billy,

"Did a speed test. Download 1968kbps/Upload 2918kbps."

Something IS clearly BROKE on your end... what I don't know, but 2Mbps Down and 3Mbps Up (I rounded your figures up and used Mega instead of kilo) both slow for cable and very rare that UPLOAD speed would be higher than DOWNLOAD speed.

I have a 40Mbps cable line. I usually get 39Mbps Down and 5Mbps Up. Normal for my ISP on its standard cable is 10Mbps Down and 768Kbps Up...

Comcast should be about the same as my ISP's standard speeds. Comcast seems to indicate 12Mbps as the speed on this link?

HERE is a web page that details how to measure the speed.

Also get the results from the Laptop. It should match or be fairly close. If it is off quite a bit, you have s/w or driver problem in your desktop. Note that some older desktops might only have a 10Mbps Network card in it, newer ones have either a 100Mbps or 1Gbps card which is fast enough for almost all ISP speeds available today.

Irv S.

Posted 6 years ago

billy12345

Well this time the speed test is much different. That other "Uniblue" offshoot site must be kind of bogus.
Download 18.66Mbps
Upload 3.40Mbps

But, I was always satisfied with upload/download speeds. And there is not much to do about how fast the pages change when ya click on them when on the internet. Except for a little tweakin' here and there? Now I get the difference between computer speed and internet speed. When I talk about speed, I am always thinking in terms of speed of clicking on things while on the internet. So much for shoving in a couple of sticks of ram to speed things up the way I want. Oh well, thanks all for the info...or, for as much as I was able to understand.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

You are doing fine Billy. We all had to start somewhere.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.