The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Recovery failing - cyclic redundancy check

(7 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by sc0oter
  • Latest reply from Aguro
  • Topic Viewed 2955 times

sc0oter

Hello geeks. My Gateway DX4822 recently had the hard drive and the motherboard replaced by the manufacturer. Unfortunately the trouble was the power supply. When I attempted to restore the OS onto the computer using the recovery disks from Gateway, the power failed in the middle of the install. I had the power supply replaced after that, but now this is what I am experiencing due to the failed install.

"BootMGR missing, press ctrl alt delete" (circumvented by pressing ctrl-alt-delete and booting from the System disk in my restore kit)
1% into the installation, I receive an error that says, restore failed error code 23 cyclic redundancy check.

I contacted Gateway about this issue, and they told me that I needed to format my hard drive using a program called DiskFormatDT_V1-1D.iso. I burned this image onto a CD with my other computer. When I bring the program up on the Gateway, there is a drop-down menu for me to select a disk, but there are no options. The program reports as successful, but part of the DOS screen is showing and all I see is the word "selected". There is no other code, which suggests to me that no formatting took place. I believe it may be reporting an error such as "no disk selected" but I cannot see the rest of the screen to know for sure. After running this program (and a full scan of the hard drive which showed no errors), I attempted the installation again but it is still failing at the same place.

My question to you geeks is, is there another way that I can format the hard drive, since this program doesn't seem to be recognizing the disk? Or is there a way to make it recognize the disk? Thank you very much for you help in advance.

scooter

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Use this one: ( http://www.partitionwizard.com.....nager.html ). Burn the bootable CD (see left pane on the website) and go from there. It is very easy to use.

Posted 9 years ago

sc0oter

Can you give more specific instructions? i don't know what option to choose once I run the program. I tried "formatting the partition" option but I am still getting the same install error afterwards.

Posted 9 years ago

marks100

did you format to NTFS, try running the disk scan for errors option post back what it says .

Posted 9 years ago

sc0oter

Yes, it says NTFS
I used a GWScan512 program to scan yesterday and no errors were found. I don't see a scan for errors option.

Posted 9 years ago

marks100

in the left hand pane, might not be word for word.. hang on i will cheak mine ... right im back sorry my fault it says... 'surface test' run that to see if any-

thing is left on the hdd . wait till finished .. then post back

Posted 9 years ago

Aguro

Its your recovery disc which is giving you CRC problem I think that the disc is not usable though there can be other reasons also like drive problem or reader problem
have you tried downloading a new recovery disc and trying what you were doing?
http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/.....air-discs/

for formatting continue what suggested above

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.