The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - Reconfiguring the raid configuration on a Vaio Desktop

(15 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by hawkdawg
  • Latest reply from hawkdawg
  • Topic Viewed 5031 times

hawkdawg

I bought this used Sony Vaio VGC-RA920G Desktop PC, without hard drives. It seems it was configured in a raid array, something I'm not terribly familiar with. I installed a new hard drive, and tried to install XP, but it doesn't recognize the hard drive. I tested the drive and cables in a known working machine, with no issues. My question is, will I ever be able to make this work? I don't need or want raid, but I can't find a place in the set-up screen that will allow me to change it's current configuration. It's a very nice older machine, and I'd really like to fix it. Thx

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

hawkdawg,

Welcome to HTG.

Download The User Guide from here.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=VGCRA920G

Has a section concerning Raid on the machine.

Rick P.

Posted 7 years ago

hawkdawg

Thanks Rick, I tried that, but couldn't find any information about how to change any settings.

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

hawkdawg,

With Intel chipsets, Press CTR + i when booting.

Do you know how to get into regular part of Bios ???

Rick P.

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

1.Restart the computer and then at the initial VAIO screen, press the F2 key.
2.In the BIOS Setup Utility screen, press the right-arrow key until the Advanced tab is highlighted.
3.Press the down-arrow keys to until RAID Configuration is highlighted and then press the Enter key.
4.Use the up or down-arrow key to select Show and then press the Enter key.
5.Press the right-arrow key until the Exit tab is highlighted.
6.Press the down-arrow key until Exit Setup is highlighted and then press the Enter key.
7.In the Save & reset window, verify Yes is selected and then press the Enter key.
8.Immediately, press the Ctrl + I keys to display the Intel® Matrix Storage Manager user interface.
NOTE: If the Intel Matrix Storage Manager user interface does not appear, restart the computer and try the previous step again.

If a RAID volume exists and you want to delete it, proceed with the next step. If a RAID volume does not exist and you would like to create one proceed with step 10.

9.To delete a RAID configuration, use the arrow-keys to select Delete RAID Volume and then press the Delete key.
If you have deleted a RAID volume and do not want to create another one, select Exit and then and then press the Enter key. If you want to create another RAID volume continue with the following steps.

10.To create a RAID configuration, use the arrow-keys to select Create a RAID Volume .
11.Enter a name for the volume and then press the Enter key.
12.Select RAID Level 0 and then press the Enter key.
NOTE: While other RAID levels are available only the original configured RAID level is supported.

13.Select Strip Size (recommended default size 128KB) and then press the Enter key.
14.Select Capacity and then press the Enter key.
NOTE: The default array size is listed. You are able to change the size but it is not supported.

15.Select Create Volume and then press the Enter key.
16.Select Exit and then press the Enter key.
17.Insert the first Recovery disc and restart the computer.
18.Follow the on-screen prompts to reinstall the operating system and bundled software.

Posted 7 years ago

hawkdawg

In the bios setup screen, there is no option for RAID configuration under the advanced tab. In fact I could find no reference to RAID anywhere, with the exception of one time when it was booting, and I was offered the Ctrl-I option. I went into a configuration utility and turned the RAID off, thinking that this would solve my problem. Now it won't give me an opportunity to go back to that utility. All I'm trying to do is set it up as a normal non-RAID PC, and every time I get to the windows set-up point where I choose where I want to load windows, it says there are no discs in the drive, and listed where the HDD would normally be, is a list of four rather cryptic entries that also show up under the advanced tab in BIOS as usb mass storage devices. Does this make any sense to you?

Posted 7 years ago

hawkdawg

Being new to this forum, I accepted answers without thinking that it would label my problem as solved. (it isn't)

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

hawkdawg,

I pulled those instructions directly off the Sony public website.

The Bios may need to be Re-Flashed and the Hard Drive plugged in and Prepared before the Used machine can run.

Let me go back to the site and read more.

Rick P.

Posted 7 years ago

hawkdawg

Thanks Rick,
Thee HDD was wiped and formatted in a different machine. I had considered the possibility of needing to flash the BIOS.
I've never done this, so I'd need some help with that.
Thx

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

hawkdawg,

Sony refers to SOME CTO Machines as having Raid.

Since you have CTL + i, am assuming your machine has it.

Then they refer to Intel site for better understanding. Read all of this.
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-020670.htm

Next I have to find Sony Updates for your machine.

The hard drives should ALWAYS be prepared on the machine they will be used on as Bioses and chipsets differ greatly.

OEMs don't make anything easy, so that's why I prefer to Build my own machines. (LOL)

Rick P.

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

There is (1) Bios Update

Here are directions. Am going to have to figure out what is happening in below instructions.

======================================================================

AMIBIOS® Update Utility

Please read all information thoroughly before downloading and installing any files.
Filename :
AIBSYS-00787108-US.EXE
Version :
Last Modified :
11/26/2004
Size :
1.19 MB
Download Now

What does this do?

This utility updates the BIOS to version 2004 and resolves the following issues:
•Compatibility issue with certain non Sony PCI-Express video cards.
•Hardware monitor error during startup.

What products and operating systems does this apply to?

Model:

VGC-RA920G

Operating System(s):

Microsoft® Windows® XP MCE

See all applicable models and operating systems.

Note: Not all models are sold in all countries. This file is only for use with the products identified and sold in United States, Latin America, or Canada.

Important Notes

•During the installation of this file, be sure that you are logged in as the Administrator or as a user with Administrative rights.
•To ensure that no other program interferes with the installation, save all work and close all other programs. The Taskbar should be clear of applications before proceeding.
•It is highly recommended to print out these instructions as a reference during the installation process.

Download and Installation Instructions

1.Download the AIBSYS-00787108-US.EXE file to a temporary or download directory (please note this directory for reference).
2.Go to the directory where the file was downloaded and double-click the AIBSYS-00787108-US.EXE file to begin the installation.
3.At the "AMIBIOS™ Update Utility for Microsoft® Windows® XP" screen, click "Next".
4.At the "License Agreement" dialog, read the agreement, then, if you agree, click "I Agree" to continue with the installation.
5.At the "VAIO BIOS Update Tool" screen, click "Update" to perform the BIOS update.
6.At the "WBFLASH" screen, click "OK" to update system BIOS.
7.At the "BIOS update successful" screen, click "OK" to shutdown the computer.
8.Wait 10 seconds and then turn on the computer.
9.At the "BIOS boot up" screen, press the "F2" function key to enter the BIOS Setup Utility.
10.At the "BIOS SETUP UTILITY" screen, press the "F5" function key, make sure "[OK]" is highlighted and press the "Enter" key to load the BIOS Setup Default.
11.Press the "F10" function key, make sure "[OK]" is highlighted, then press the "Enter" key to exit the BIOS Setup Utility.

After computer restarts, the installation of the BIOS update is complete

Posted 7 years ago

hawkdawg

Thanks again Rick, I really appreciate all the effort you've put into this. I have two more quick questions.
How do I flash the BIOS with the computer in its current state, and does the fact that I'm installing XP Pro,
not the media center edition have any bearing on the outcome?
Thx

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

I don't know or think the Sony Bios update will Flash in a Dos environment without a utility ?!?!

The machine has a 915G series chipset.
================================================

Original - Intel® 915G/P/GV Chipset Driver Utility

10/21/2004

6.37 MB

This utility installs the originally shipped version of the Intel® 915G/P/GV Chipset Device Driver.
================================================

We may have to cross reference over to Intel "Make Floppy Driver" to install XP using F6 method.

You can try an install and see what happens without chipset driver.
If it installs, then can load chipset driver before anything else.

If NO-GO, will have to make F6 Floppy install.

NOT SOLVED :(

Rick P.

Posted 7 years ago

hawkdawg

Thanks Rick,
I think I have enough to go on for a while.

Posted 7 years ago

hawkdawg

Thanks Rick, you rock! Problem solved!!

Accepted Answer · Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.