How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Random Sound Distortions

(34 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by Solitary
  • Latest reply from ashizuri
  • Topic Viewed 5202 times

Solitary

Good afternoon.
For a while i have been facing a random sound distortion problem. What i mean by random is that it occurs from time to time. It can happen when i am listening to music via iTunes, or watch a youtube video or anything else that has sound.
By distortion i mean a distortion similar when you pull out the head phones from your ipod not completely and the songs get distorted and interrupted. Or it can also be comparable to a bad microphone signal. When you are too far away from the receptor i mean.
It is very annoying and aggravating because i dont seem to be able to find a solution.
If i reinstall Windows,it stops for a while. I dont know if it is cause by the software i have or if it is a hard ware (i do not want to pay 70 dollars to BestBuy to run a diagnostic).
I am running Windows 7 Home Premium on a Gateway NV52 Laptop.

Posted 7 years ago

mickeyblue

hmmm, try downloading the driver for Win7 for your laptop,
here

it might be a faulty driver. don't be hasty with the diagnostics, be patient, we will find a solution :)

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

Thank you, i will try and let you know:)
the negative part is that since its random, i cant just install the driver, then turn on my itunes and tell you that its all fixed..

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

And I am pretty sure i already tried reinstalling/updating drivers but i will give it a try again =)

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Is it through internal speakers, external speakers, headphones ? Via a soundcard or headphone socket.

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

LH, it does it through the built in speakers, but i also tried plugging in my external sound system ( a 75 watt JVC "music center") via AUX cord. Did the same thing.

Posted 7 years ago

LH

How long does the random distortion last for ?

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

It just keeps going. Like something gets in the way. I get so annoyed that i just turn everything off.
Like last night i tried watching that Ahmed the terrorist comedian on youtube (which is really funny).I just watched like 5 minutes out of 8 because i couldnt take it anymore.

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

I actually let Windows install a driver on its own after i removed the Sound driver i had installed. I will give it some try and see if the problem occurs and then i will write back.

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

ugh it just did it for a split second while Firefox was loading a page. Is there a chance that that could be a reason? I used safari for a bit, but never tried reinstalling firefox yet.

Posted 7 years ago

mickeyblue

test it while watching a movie, give it a day, if it still persists, post back.... process of elimination is a good way to disolve a problem

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

mickeyblue
will do.

What I dont understand the most is why does it occur so randomly. Since my laptop is still under warranty ( bought in July) i took it to bestbuy for them to just take a look. I looked like such an idion because the geek played itunes, WMP, watched a youtube video and everything was awesome. But the fact is that i would've not taken it there if the night before it wasnt doing it. I got so annoyed that night that i just listened to my ipod rather than music form my laptop.

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

It does that even during watching a movie..

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Is your computer close to a wall, with a fridge or freezer behind it. Is someone using a vacuum cleaner nearby. Microwave oven. anything like that ?

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

Nothing close. A Microwave is good 30 feet away and fridge is even further.

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Umm. The only other external influences I can think of, would be florescent light, power saving lamp, cordless, or mobile/cell phone.
Internally. Maybe the fan.
When it happens again, also look in Task Manager, and see if there are any heavy duty processes running.

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

LH, Its not cell phone for sure cause i thought so too:)

I will look at task manager next time

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

is there a chance that uTorrent could be causing it?

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Is it pushing your CPU or memory usage to maximum ?

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

No, only to like 25k ( when i look at the list of processes), but what i noticed is that higher the speed of donwload, worse the distortions. I tried couple of times and it seems like it affects the sound.

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

Actually, you are right! In the performance tab the usage goes waay higher than it was. It also seems to depend on the speed. The distortions didnt start until like 250kbs

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

I am really fascinated by this discovery =)

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

Any suggestions on how to fix it from here? I am confident that it is it because i tried multiple times just listening to itunes, then opening utorrent and distortions start.
When i earlier said that while watching the movie it happened, i had utorrent working in a background.

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

Or could it be not the utorrent itself, but internet itself? Like the adapter? I dont know, i am just guessing here pretty much.

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Try exiting uTorrent next time it happens.

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

I did. Im just asking is there a way to manage utorrent to the point where it doesnt affect my CPU that much. Its not like its a program heavy on requirements.

Posted 7 years ago

LH

If you are sure it's uTorrent, you might try also looking through/posting here,
http://forum.utorrent.com/viewforum.php?id=3

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

Okay, thanks a ton guys.

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

I tried last night, but the site was not opening ;)

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

Okay I am right back to you.

Just tried using bitTorrent. Same thing.

When i stopped the download, a little notification poped up saying that disk is busy. Could it be my hard drive?

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

Sorry for posting this much, but i just want to solve this problem..
Just noticed, higher the speed of download ( and i believe that affects the disk cause you have to write that data), computer starts glitching..

Any suggestions for a good disk diagnostics utility?

Posted 7 years ago

Solitary

and maybe a CPU check?

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Many drive manufacturers produce their own diagnostic S/W. I should look on their main site > support

Posted 7 years ago

ashizuri

was having the same problem with my Gateway NV52 notebook.
it does that scratchy distorded sound while i have my headphones on and playing Winamp
with a paused youtube video in the background.

this link might help you with this problem... certainly solved mine.

http://technicallyeasy.net/200.....cpu-usage/

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.