The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Printer won't come back online

(16 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by NYCaribou
  • Latest reply from Bumpkin
  • Topic Viewed 1169 times

NYCaribou

I have a HP Deskjet 3845 Printer. A couple of days ago I tried to print something and the printer showed up in Device Manager as Offline. The "Use Printer Offline" is NOT checked, and I have unplugged the printer and then replaced the plug and the USB cord multiple times and restarted the computer more times than I can count. The LED for what I think is the power button (left most side of the front of the printer, just to the left of a button that has an X above it) will not stop blinking, and the printer will not show as ready, only as offline.

Is the printer completely dead? I absolutely canNOT afford a new one. If you told me it was completely FREE I absolutely could NOT afford the shipping.

Posted 6 years ago

Zagreus

Have you checked your troubleshooting guide for the model of printer (to see what the blinking light entails)? Have you checked your ink levels? Uninstall printer software and try again from scratch.

Daveh.

Posted 6 years ago

Zagreus

Have a look here, see if this helps. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr.....uct=372330

Daveh.

Posted 6 years ago

NYCaribou

The troubleshooter claims that the printer is turned off. I push both buttons repeatedly but it never says that the printer has been turned on, only turned off. I looked at the page you linked, and it had no viable solutions. Nothing there matched the problem with my printer.

Posted 6 years ago

ronniesonora

You could have a paper jam and the printer shut off until cleared.

Posted 6 years ago

Bumpkin

We have had the same problem with the HP printer being offline, clearing the Printer Spool has always been the answer.

Read this tutorial on fixing the problem. Reset print spooler

Posted 6 years ago

NYCaribou

Well, resetting the printer spool makes the printer now show as 'Ready' and the troubleshooter now says it can no longer find any errors with the printer.

Which makes me wonder WHY the LED still absolutely REFUSES to stop its blinking the same way it was before... and why it won't print anything. I try to print a document and I don't even hear the sound of the printer feed trying to grab a sheet of paper out of the tray. And yes, there IS paper in the tray, and the printer feed is NOT jammed with paper, and the ink/toner cartridges are NOT empty. I just don't hear any sound of the printer's parts moving when I send a print command, and it doesn't print. I even thought maybe the USB cord had been removed, but nope, it's still there, still intact.

Troubleshooting insists the printer is in perfect working order. Only problem is... it isn't.

Posted 6 years ago

GuiltySpark

NYCaribou ,

Make sure the Services that depend upon the Print Spooler are also active.

Posted 6 years ago

scorpion99

you could have wrong drivers installed , delete the printer and its drivers and download the recent drivers for it from the HP site and try.
Make sure of your windows (32 or 64) so you can download the right drivers.

Posted 6 years ago

NYCaribou

There is no driver available for my printer on the HP site. HP.com says the ONLY available driver is included on the setup CD for Windows 7. That means it couldn't install the wrong driver if I wanted it to, which of course, I don't.

GuiltySpark, what other services depend on the Print Spooler besides the printer?

Posted 6 years ago

GuiltySpark

Go into your Services and highlight Print Spooler, Right click and select Properties, then select the Dependencies tab.

Open up the Dependencies tree and it should tell you exactly what services need to be running. In my case I have 3 dependencies : LexBce Server, Remote Procedure (RPC), and DCOM which will probably already be running.

Posted 6 years ago

G41M

Just to eliminate possible printer failure, try installing the printer on another PC and see if it works.

Posted 6 years ago

NYCaribou

>>Go into your Services and highlight Print Spooler, Right click and select Properties, then select the Dependencies tab.

Open up the Dependencies tree and it should tell you exactly what services need to be running. In my case I have 3 dependencies : LexBce Server, Remote Procedure (RPC), and DCOM which will probably already be running.<<

All of these are running. I have exhausted every option I can think of. The LED I referred to absolutely refuses to stop blinking and blinking and blinking and the printer doesn't print.

I don't know what to do.

Posted 6 years ago

mitilini

NYCaribou

i have an almost identical printer from HP

and experienced a very similar almost identical problem to yours,

just a couple of days ago.

İ solved it by turning it on,then removing each cable(one at a time)

from the back of it,then re-connecting it,after a few secs.

The printer should then make some groaning noises(that's normal)

do the same with the other cable.

Then press on the downward facing arrow ONCE

wait for the printer to reset itself.

İf the blinking continues then open the lid

and carefully remove the black ink cartrigde,

then put it back in.(do NOT touch the copper part)

Do the same with the multicoloured one.

İf blinking persists,one of them is either faulty

and needs to be replaced,or empty.

Posted 6 years ago

Xhi

I perused this one quickly, but have you gone to Devices and Printers and checked the printer queue? Sometimes a document gets stuck and the queue cleared.

Posted 6 years ago

Bumpkin

Try the advice given by mitilini.
You might try installing it on another computer and see if it works.
if the printer still does not work maybe it's dead.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.