The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

printer takes for ever to print - HELP

(112 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by bg
  • Latest reply from bg
  • Topic Viewed 58141 times

bg

i am running windows vista home premium with ms word 2003 on my new hp wireless laptop. my printer is attached to my desktop. when i try to print a document on the laptop, it takes forever for the print dialog window to come up. during this time i get this message, Microsoft Office Word: The printer has not yet responded, but the MS Office program my be able to proceed without the printer information. Do you want to wait for the printer? Yes or No. after clicking on Yes, it still takes a long time for the printer dialog window to appear. when it finally does appear i click on Print and wait another 1 to 2 minuets. HELP

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Printer sharing can be long. How much RAM do you have on your laptop?

Posted 8 years ago

bg

whs, i have 3072 MB of ddr2 memory with a 2.1 Ghz amd turion 64x2 mobile processor with 512KB+512KB L2 Cache. the 160 GB 5400 rpm hard disk has approx 100 Gigs of free space on it. all of the non essential services have been disabled, the start up menu has only a few items enable it it all of the other performance tweaks have been done as suggested by Black Viper on his website.

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

I hope, in that case, you didn't disable "Print Spooler".

Posted 8 years ago

bg

no, i left it set to automatic

Posted 8 years ago

bg

the printer has acted this slow ever since i installed it. let me clairfy - i originally installed the printer directly to the laptop while my desktop was being serviced. then when i got my desktop back i set it up with a wireless router. i uninstalled the printer from my laptop and installed it to my desktop and set it to be shared over the network. i didn't do any of the services and performance tweaks until today. like i said this problem has existed all along. it seems as if ms word on the vista laptop just has a hard time locating the printer. i don't know if this is a word problem or a vista problem.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

You certainly are not resource constrained. I agree with Lighthouse - there must be a function you have disabled. Btw: with all this RAM you have, disabling start-up services makes little sense (except for the real bum ones - if you absolutely must).

Posted 8 years ago

bg

like i said, this was going on before disabling any functions.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

here is something interesting. i just checked my office 2003 and it has SP3. then i clicked on the Help tab in word and choose Detect and Repair and clicked Start. a window came up that told me it was checking word and then reconfiguring it. when it finished i tried to print a one word document. when i hit print the printer dialog window never came up at all this time but it did print exactly 70 seconds later ( i used a digital timer). so what is you opinion on this?

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

BG,

Believe you have duplicate Full copies of Print Drivers installed and laptop is becoming confused.

A correct way to install a printer on a wireless network is to install it to the laptop (over) the wireless connection from the machine connected to the printer. When your laptop connects to the machine connected to the printer, normally the machine will download some drivers across the wireless network to your laptop the first time it connects so you have only one (partial) copy of print drivers in the laptop and then the laptop knows to go wireless fast to use the shared printer there after.

This is an (Awkward) post so post back if you don't understand what I'm trying to convey.

Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

i just want to go ahead and thank all of you great guys for trying to help me out but this is a solution in progress so here is some more information. i have now determined that it is not vista or my computer per say that is causing the slowness - it is ms word 2003. i just opened an excel 2003 worksheet, clicked on print and it printed it in exactly 18 seconds. so, word is doing all kinds of funny things: printing slow, running a virus scan which is very very slow everytime you open a document, and still taking a long time to open documents even after the virus scan has finished. also, sometime when you open a document a warning message appears as stated in the beginning of this post that the printer has not yet responded - even though i have not hit the print button.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

raphoenix, just received your answer after i finished my last post. will give your suggestion a try in about 1 to 2 hrs - have to go out to dinner right now. will advise later how your suggestion works out.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

bg,

Reminder: Remove those original print drivers from the Laptop BEFORE attempting my suggestion.

Also running an Anti-Virus program in REAL TIME while trying to print over a wireless connection is a real disaster. No wonder the laptop won't print quickly. Didn't know you were doing that.

Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

raphoenix, i've been giving this some thought. if what you are suggesting is the problem, then why does ms office 2003 excel & power point print perfectly with no problems or delays? it seems to me that the problem lies inside ms 2003 word. also, if an anti-virus program running is a problem then how do you look up documents on the internet and print them without the danger of getting a virus. or do you constantly have to switch your anti-virus on and off?

Posted 8 years ago

whs

You can set your antivirus to check everything "incoming" but NOT check stuff "outgoing". The difference in your Excel and Word timings might be the size of the documents - might be. It's like with outgoing mail documents that have large attachments. The security suite can sometimes take quite some time to inspect them.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

whs - i have my anti virus set for incoming only and the "check for virus in ms office docs" is unabled. the size of these documents in power point and word are only one word long (i.e. - if you open the documents the only thing written on the page is "test" ). the excell document is only one page but it is full of data. so here are the current print times: excel - 18 sec. power point - 50 sec. word - 120 sec. here is some more interest things about word: when you click on print sometimes after 13 sec. you get the messagae "The printer has not yet responded....do you want to wait? If you click on Yes, then after 66 sec. has passed at the bottom of the word page in one of the information bars it reads "Word is preparing to background print" and after a total of 120 sec. after hitting the print button, it finally prints. If you click on No after getting "The printer has not responded .....do you want to wait" message then you get another message that says "Word cannot print. There is no printer installed".

Posted 8 years ago

whs

I have Word 2007. In Word Options > Advanced > Print there is a checkbox for "print in background". If Word 2003 has something similar, you may want to uncheck this - if it was on, which is default in W2007.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

bg,

My Opinion Only:

Configure and Run your Anti-Virus program (Manually) as a Maintenance Program at the end of the day just as you would run an Anti-Spyware program.

Unless you are hanging around some pretty "shady" sites with malious Macros embed in Word, Excel, etc., documents and download the items, then you are not apt to get a virus.

(DISCLAIMER) I realize that each must run their own system withn their own confort level.

Are you by chance using AVG Anti-Virus ??

Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

raphoenix: i am using norton anti-virus 2008 and nothing else. this morning i have been making up new one word documents, saving them, and then printing them. i am not getting virus scans on these new documents. i did go in and uncheck the "print in background" box in word, excel, & power pt.
after doing that the print time for excel was still 18 sec. - the print time for power pt. went down from 50 sec. to 35 sec. - and the print time for word went down from 120 sec. to 100 sec. (still way too slow). i guess i am at the point of disconnecting my vista wireless laptop from the network, uninstalling the printer software on it, and then reconnecting to the network and see if it can find the drivers and info that it needs from my desktop on its own. does this sound like the correct procedure to you?
best regards, Bill G

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

bg,

This is cut and paste from my post above. Read completely.

A correct way to install a printer on a wireless network is to install it to the laptop (over) the wireless connection from the machine connected to the printer. When your laptop connects to the machine connected to the printer, normally the machine will download some drivers across the wireless network to your laptop the first time it connects so you have only one (partial) copy of print drivers in the laptop and then the laptop knows to go wireless fast to use the shared printer there after.
This is an (Awkward) post so post back if you don't understand what I'm trying to convey.

Reminder: Remove those original print drivers from the Laptop BEFORE attempting my suggestion.

Before doing anything, DISABLE Norton Startup in Config file and also DISABLE Noton Autostart in Services.

Reboot and make sure Noton is (NOT) running ANYTHING, ANYWHERE for right now.

Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

ok, i unistalled all of the printer files and drivers from my laptop and disabled norton antivirus. when i print a page now Sometimes i still get the "Printer has not responded...do you want to wait?" message and sometimes i don't. if i print a document and then turn around & print the same document again the second print takes a lot less time except for in excel which still prints anything in 15 sec. power pt runs 33 & 14 seconds to print the same doc twice. word is running anywhere from 130 sec. for the first print to 60 sec. for the second print to 20 sec. for the third print. so things haven't changed that much overall and the problem still seems to be with word 2003.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Any chance you might get Word 2007. With that, I never encoutered the problem on 2 set-ups with shared printers. And we do a lot of Word 2007 work.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

i had word 2007 installed on my laptop in addition to word 2003 but there is too many other issues so i took 2007 off. i am running 2007 on my desktop without any problems but for my wifes work she needs 2003 on her laptop.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

bg,

The reason the printer is printing faster the second time is that documents are in cache and communications to the printer have already been established.

There is definitely something wrong in your equipment / software Setup.

Is the printer by chance going into power down or sleep mode between the times you use it for printing ??

Your problem is probably easily fixable BUT very hard to remotely trouble shoot and explain on a forum because there are so many variables involved.

If you think your MS Office programs are not setup properly, try printing a long plain TEXT document to the printer done in Note Pad.

What happens ??

Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Another thought. Is the laptop connecting via a router? Maybe the router setting is to blame - e.g. the idle time out may not be set to zero. I think the test that Rick suggested (print a Note Pad) would shed light on that.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

the printer is not powering down or going into sleep mode. a three page, line for line, from top to bottom, takes 100 sec. to print in Note Pad. what does that tell you? the laptop is connecting via a D-Link DIR-655 N router. i haven't been able to find anything about the idle time out - where do you find it?
this is a new hp photosmart C5250 printer set to print in fast draft mode and once it starts printing it is extremely fast - like less than 2 sec. for a full page of print. the problem is the long time that it takes from the time you hit the print button until it starts printing. it doesn't make any difference if it is a one word document or a full page document.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Sorry, I am not familiar with D-Link. In Netgear it's part of "Basic Settings"

Posted 8 years ago

bg

if the routers settings were wrong then my pages in excel should not print in 15 sec. total time as they do. it is only real slow in word.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Whatever you say. But you had the same problem with Notepad.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

bg

Since you are operating with PPPoE to get to the DSL line, change router main settings to 192.168.(2 OR 3).1, sub mask 255.255.255.0, Channel 11, beacon 50, fragmentation 2304, RTS 2304, 802.11 G Only.

Ensure all wireless machine(s) settings are set 802.11 G Only (High Performance and turbo Mode ENABLE)

(Assume Tower or Desktop is connect by USB cable to Printer. Machine Bios settings for USB should be set to (High Performance).

If connected by LAN cable, send me LAN configuration settings of machine directly connected to printer.

Idle Time refers to DSL operations with ISP. Don't worry about that.

Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

@whs,

You still up ??

Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Ya, barely. Thanks for correcting me on the idle time - I had mixed that up (at this late hour).

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

whs,

GO TO BED !!! GET SOME REST !!!

I think much of you.

Kindest Regards,

Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

rephoenix: in Control Panel>Internet Options>Internet Properties>Connections>LAN settings>Automatic configuration>Automatically detect settings (is unchecked) >Use automatic configuration script (is unchecked) >Proxy server>Use a proxy server for your LAN..... (is unchecked)
- so there is nothing configured in my LAN settings. i don't know if i mentioned this before but i am using the Network Magic software to run my wireless setup. i have discussed this with them and they thought my firewall(s) might be the problem, so i turned the windows firewall off on my laptop and desktop and it did not speed anything up.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

bg,

AH..... Another possible problem.

Why do use a Third Party Program for Networking ??

There is NO need to and they are probably correct bringing up the Firewall issue.

Your Router and XP or Vista will network together fine using the proper setup without the need of a Third Party Program. In my opinion, using Third Party Software on a (HOME) network is useless and normally causes all kinds of problems.

Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

raphoenix: vista seems to have a big problem. after you get all of your networking settings done, if one little change is made anywhere (like maybe a registry entry tied to the settings) then you start having all kinds of problems. i got this info from other vista users. network magic is able to find and repair its own problems and is the easiest way to set up a network. you can download a free trial to look at or try out for 7 days. the support is local and free. My d-link router had free installation support for 30 days and after that it is about $30 a pop & up. it's one of those deals, where you give them your credit card # before they will talk to you and then if they cannot help you just waisted your money. anyway, you may be right. the real reason that i started using network magic is: when i first installed my d-link router it came with a network magic disk and i installed it and tried it out. then i decided (like you said) that i didn't need to purchase $24 third party software so i uninstalled it and set my network up using xp & vista. it worked for a little while and then it started telling me that i did not have a printer installed. i could not get it fixed no matter what i tried. so, i put the free network magic trial back on my computers and everything started working again with the exception of this slow laptop printing which i think i have had all along. let me know what you think i should try next and i will do it. by the way, where did you find the really cool revolving pyramid avatar? - it looks like somebody made it in cad 3d solid or ashlar-vellum.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

bg,

To be perfectly honest, I use XP3 with MS Office 2003 and don't run Vista except I did testing for MS on Vista several years ago. I have (4) Computers (Towers Built From Scratch) and use a Linksys Wireless Router for networking when not using one of the Towers as the network router. One of my machines is directly connected to a large 4in1 HP color scanner/printer/copier/fax just as yours is. Since I setup my network myself, I know exactly how everything works and printing from (any) machine in the house is almost instantaneous. I use (NO) Third Party Software with the network.

Because of the above, it very, very hard for me to diagnose other's systems without knowing exactly how they were built, what hardware they are using and what software they are running.

Let me send an E-mail to one of the other members to pick up on this thread and see if they can help you.

The Avatar comes from my old company logo which I sold a couple of years ago. Click on Member.

Hang in Here,

Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

raphoenix: thank you so much for all of your patience and help so far. i will wait to here from you or your friend. if i send you my pertinent hardware and software info do you think you could give me some guide lines on setting this up myself?

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

Hello, bg! I was asked to look over this thread and comment. This configuration that you have sounds pretty standard. I have a similar setup with a desktop acting as print server and other systems connecting via a router (wired and wireless) to print. Here are my initial thoughts:

* What is the make and model of the printer? I don't believe I saw that anywhere. I would like to look up the driver software at the manufacturer and see what it says.
* Given that one Office program prints fine and another doesn't, this would seem to eliminate the router as a most likely suspect.
* The communications breakdown seems to occur between Word 2003 and the printer, where "printer" could be the local printer driver or the remote driver over the network on the server.
* If it were happening to me, I would do as Rick suggests and completely remove all trace of the printer software from the laptop, the restart and re-install the printer over the network.
* Another thought I had was to watch the print queues and see when the document shows up and what the status is. On mine, the local print queue never shows anything which I suspect means that the print job is transferred to the server side quickly. On the server side, watch the print queue and see: when does the job show up? What is the status?
* Finally, another suggestion I have would be to install a local printer on the laptop, such as a PDF printer. Since this is just a virtual printer all done in software, it should be very fast. This will help narrow down the problem to either the network printer or Word.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

ScottW: my printer is a HP Photosmart C5250 All-in-One. i did remove all trace of the printer software from the laptop but i did not re-install anything. the printer software was already installed on my desktop. after removing the software from my laptop i just tried to print a word doc and it worked but was still very slow as before. i really don't understand what you guys meant by re-install over the network. do i also need to un-install and re-install the printer software on my desktop? i looked up virtual printer on google search & it looks like to me that i need to download a virtual printer driver from the web. is this correct? i really don't know anything about virtual printing, so any guidelines would be helpful.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Use this as PDF printer. It is pretty straight forward and you can select it like any other printer in the print window. http://www.dopdf.com/ All it does is create a PDF file in lieu of printing on the printer. If that takes a long time too, then you know it is inside Word. Btw, if you have this PDF file written to an SD card or an USB stick, you can carry it to your desktop and print it there locally.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

i downloaded & installed the www.dopdf.com virutal printer. i printed a word doc using my normal printer & it took 100 sec to print. then i did the same thing with a different doc just make sure that the first doc was not still in the quere. then i set my default printer to the new virtual pdf printer and hit print on the first doc again. it created the pdf file instantly. so, according to whs the problem may not be in word. please advise as to what you think i should do next.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

bg, this is really a tough one. One more experiment you could make. Carry the laptop to the printer and attach it directly with the USB cable. If that prints normal on the printer too, then we have excluded both Word and the printer driver and are pretty sure it is in the communication part (not that we neccessarily know the solution then, but at least we would be focussed). In the meantime, for your wife's daily work, she might use the PDF printer with an SD/USB as output folder. Then at least you can easily transfer it to the printer via your desktop.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

whs: if i attached the printer directly to the laptop then i will need to reload all of the printer software onto the laptop. right?

Posted 8 years ago

whs

No, I don't think so. Just attach it. It should work. If there is a driver missing, it will usually find it automatically. That would also be a good check whether you have the right driver for the printer.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

whs: i attached my printer directly to my laptop as you suggested. it only takes a 2003 word doc. 12 seconds to print. then i uplugged the printer from the laptop and plugged it back into my desktop. i then printed the same document from my laptop wirelessly and it took 60 seconds which is about twice as fast as it was before but it is still too slow.

Recap - seconds to print a 2003 word doc.:
12 seconds - printer attached directly to laptop
60 seconds - printer attached to desktop & printing through the laptop wirelessly
120 seconds - printer attached to desktop & printing through the laptop wirelessly before we ran this latest test

one other interesting thing: when i hit the print button on the laptop it takes exactly 45 sec for the "Now Printing Page 1" window to pop up and then another 15 seconds to actually print. when the printer was attached directly to the laptop if the "Now Printing" window popped up it was so fast that i could not even see it.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Well, there is some progress. Question: When you attached the printer to the laptop, did the little bubble come up on the right bottom of the screen saying "installing device driver"?
I think 60 seconds is not too bad. I have observed similar timings on my setup in FL (although I never sujected it to a stopwatch). The setup there is similar to yours except we also have a printer on the laptop that I access from the desktop too. Where I am right now, we had your type setup. But I have dismanteled it because my wife got her own printer so I cannot test it any more.
The 45 second time delay you mention is probably to establish the connection and the 15 seconds is for the transfer of the print data (you know there is a lot more data than you see on the print page). In Vista, even 1 stored byte expands into 1KB because of all the descriptors - even if they are blank.
Just one other thing: I assume your router and laptop are set to the 801.11g protocol and not by chance to the a or b protocols (which are a lot slower).

Posted 8 years ago

bg

when i attached the printer to the laptop the "installing device driver" bubble did not come up but a small window opened asking me to install the drivers for the printer and i just ignored it and X'ed out of it. then i set the new printer as the default and printed.

Router Wireless Network Settings: (these are setup on this website 192.168.0.1 address)
802.11 Mode: Mixed 802.11n, 802.11g, 802.11b
Auto Channel Scan enabled
Transmission Rate: Best (Automatic)
Channel Width: 20 Mhz ( the other option is Auto 20/40 Mhz)

where do i look on my vista laptop to find the 801.11g protocol?

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Your router is ok. In the laptop go to "Network and sharing center", a few lines down you see "connection" and "view status" on the right, click on that. In the status window you should see "Speed". If that is 54Mbps or something close to it, then you are OK.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

the above mentioned speed is 130.0Mbps

Posted 8 years ago

whs

So you are probably on an 801.11N because g is max 54Mbps. This laptop must be a very recent one. I saw your router has an "N" capability. So, transmission speed is not a problem. But I have no experience with the intricacies of N-Routers (I think few people have since this is a very recent standard - in fact it is not even a standard yet, just a standards proposal).
I guess we have checked all the nooks and crannies I could think of. Unless someone else comes up with new ideas, you may have to live with the 60 seconds for a while. However, you may want to talk to the router people (Netgear or whoever) and ask them whether a setting of the router firewall could be responsible for that delay. I am pretty sure that it is in the router somewhere (since we have ruled out practically all other possibilities) - but as I said, with an N-Router I am pretty lost.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

@whs,

Been monitoring this Thread as I promised bg that I would.

Have you counted the number of networking problems with Vista just today ??

I'm flat worn out just trying to get some networks going.

How are you feeling today ??

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Rick, I am fine. Thank you for asking. Yes, there seem to be a lot of network problems. Unfortunately that is not really my specialty. I just manage to keep my router running so that the wife can visit her crafting websites (including her own).
What do you think about this problem here. Do you agree with my conclusion or do you see other openings. At the data rate bg is going, it can only be an "N". Now that we have ruled out all (or at least most) other sources of trouble, I can only imagine the router blocking things. Would be interested in your view. I would hate to chase bg around with half cooked conclusions.

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

We *are* going in circles now. The router was not the prime suspect because other Office programs, such as Excel and PowerPoint, print at normal speeds. If that is still the case, then the router is unlikely to be the problem.

bg: if you are still with us, I have another experiment for you to try. Right-click on the printer and select "Pause printing". Then open the printer to see the print queue and watch to see how long it takes the document to queue up when printing from Word. The idea here is to see if it is Word itself that is taking so long, or if the communication between the laptop and desktop is at issue. Once the document is queued and Word is done, resume the printer and see how long it takes to print. In this second step we have, in theory, taken Word out of the equation.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

ScottW, But we did your experiment in another way when we attached the laptop directly to the printer. It then printed in 12 seconds. So Word itself seems to work normally.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

@bg, thinking about the point that ScottW brought up (regarding the fact that only Word is slow via the router), I found this document which might be interesting in the context: http://ask-leo.com/why_does_my.....uters.html I can imagine that you may be tired of tests, but I was wondering what happens when you try to print the Word document converted to .pdf in lieu of .doc. In Word 2007 you can easily store a Word document in .pdf (with an add-on) but I don't think that is so easy in Word 2003. I therefore suggest you first write it to the doPDF writer and then you print this PDF document via the router. Would be interesting to see what happens.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

whs: i will let you all know when i can run the test mentioned above (trying to print a .pdf file wirelessly). yesterday just before your last post my desktop crashed and i have not been able to get it back up yet. may take a day or so. on my desktop i purchased a third stick of 1 GB ram and when i put it in it corrupted my registry (might be a bad stick of ram). i had a second brand new WD Raptor hard drive so i loaded my norton ghost backkup image of my crashed drive onto it and set the 1st boot to the new hard drive, but it will not boot to it - bootup keeps acting like it wants to boot from a CD. so, when i figure all of this out i will get back in touch. thank goodness i have a laptop that still works (except that it cannot print wirelessly).

Posted 8 years ago

whs

OK

Posted 8 years ago

bg

whs: i am back up & running again. after making & saving a pdf document from the doPDF writer, i deleted all printers on my laptop and then used add a printer to install my shared desktop printer to my laptop wirelessly. the last part of the add a printer install ask if i wanted to print a test page - it took 15 sec to print. i then printed a word doc and it took 60 sec. i then printed the pdf doc and it took 80 sec. so, there is the test. by the way, the new stick of ram was not bad - for some unknown reason the first time the computer tried to recognize it, it corrupted the registry enough that windows would not start completely. after wiping my hard drive clean and reinstalling everything, i reinstalled the new ram again and everything is working just fine now on my desktop.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

I DON'T KNOW WHO MARKED THIS POST AS "SOLVED" BECAUSE IT IS NOT. PRINTING WORD 2003 FROM MY WIRELESS VISTA LAPTOP IS STILL JUST AS SLOW AS WHEN WE STARTED

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

Sorry..My mistake :(

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

bg,

I'm still monitoring your topic and thread as I promised you.

Waiting for may be ScottW to jump back in.

HTG won't leave you out there all alone.

Go Aggies
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

what if i purchased a 25' ethernet type cable and plugged it into my laptop and my router, turned of my laptop's wireless broadcasting, and then printed via a hard wired connection to my router>desktop>printer? what do you guys think that would reveal to us? the only problem is i hate to spend $30+ just for a test.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

I would not spend the money just for a test unless you plan to make that the permanent setup. A 6 foot cable will do the same job if you move the laptop close to the router.
PS: Sorry I was not "on board" earlier. It was the wife's birthday and we made a little trip into France which is not far from here.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

Whs and bg,

I'm butting in but will jump out !!

I have a +100 foot cable I keep around just for maintenance issues but mine was made up for Free.

Just something to consider.

It is up to you guys and the old pocket book.

Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

I just caught up with your posts of today. It is interesting that even the PDF prints slow AFTER the word document printed. So the Word document throws some monkey wrench into the system. But now come the $100.000 question - what is it that word does? This, despite my earlier suspicion, does not really point to the router.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

once again; if it points to the router then why does the test prints and excel & power point 2003 print so fast? good grief, i have had to edit my own post 4 times - time for another bottle of champaign before supper

Posted 8 years ago

whs

bg, as your test showed, PDF prints fast BEFORE you touch Word, PDF prints slow AFTER you printed the Word document. That tells me that the Word 2003 changes some setting somewhere - in the desktop printer driver?, in the router?, somewhere else in the desktop or laptop O/S? - we just don't know. Agree so far?
PS: What is that champaign story? Btw, It's 1.10AM in my neck of the woods. I may only answer tomorrow.

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

I think that whs has latched on to an unproven assumption -- that PDF files only take a long time to print after a Word document has printed. This is easy enough to verify by restarting the system and printing a PDF file first before printing from Word.

BG, is the PDF file that you are printing the output from Word to the doPDF printer? That would be a curious result. Is Word embedding whatever takes so long into the PDF document?

I would still like to know the results of the experiment with pausing the local print queue then watching to see how long it takes for print jobs to show up. I'm wondering if print jobs from Word get queued as fast as Excel jobs, for example, or if most of the time is spent waiting for Word to finish whatever it's doing and only then does it queue the job.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

whs & ScottW: i guess i did not clarify my test. the PDF did not print fast before i touched word. taking a word doc and using the doPDF printer to convert it to a PDF file was very fast. first i took a one word Word Doc and printed it using the doPDF printer which converted it into a PDF file. second i opened the PDF file and printed it which took 80 sec. third i printed just the orig Word Doc and it took 60 sec to print. so the PDF file was printed before the Word Doc was. i don't know how to find out if Word is embedding the problems but i have thought all along that the problem lies in Word. i will run the "pause printing while in queue" test tomorrow and let you all know the results.

whs: i have now been screwing around with these computer problems for over a week. i do have better things to do, but as long as i am stuck here trying to solve these problems i thought a little champaign was in order.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Sorry guys. I guess I misunderstood the PDF print experiment. But the fact that the PDF file originating from Word is a slowpoke too is amazing. You would think that the file formatting of the PDF file is completely different to that of Word, especially as this was not stored by Word itself as one can do with Word 2007. And the content of the Word file could not be the cause either since you once said the document contained only "test". I am baffled. Maybe the newest from ScottW will yield something. - And keep drinking that champaign. I hope it's Veuve Cliquot and not Korbel - lol.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

ScottW: here is how i ran the queue test. first of all i went to Control Panes>Printers> & right clicked on the printer & selected pause. i then received an error message and it told me it could not pause (i guess because no document had been executed to print. so i right clicked on the printer again and selected open. this time the window came up that shows docs in queue and what is being printed. i left the queue window open and went back to my docs and hit print - here is the results.

Word.doc 50 sec to queue and 10 more sec to print for a total print time of 60 sec
PDF doc 70 sec to queue and 10 more sec to print for a total print time of 80 sec

am i right in assuming there is nothing wrong with the communication from my wireless laptop to the router to the desktop to the printer? all of the delay seems to be in these two docs getting into the printer queue. i don't know if my laptop has its own printer queue or it is sending info to the desktop printer queue (which if it is sending it to the desktop queue then it is a wireless communication slow down - right?).

whs: i cannot afford that expensive champaign like you drink. i found this new $10/bottle champaign and it is the smoothest and best i have ever had. it is Veuve du Vernay BRUT from France of course.

Posted 8 years ago

Lighthouse

http://www.winesonline.co.nz/v.....21098.html

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

BG, it certainly is looking like the problem is with Word and not with the network printer, printer drivers, or your router. Just one more thing -- it would be interesting to know what the times are for Excel.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

ScottW: Excel doc - 5 sec to queue and 11 more sec to print for a total print time of 16 sec

Posted 8 years ago

whs

bg, I cannot afford those expensive champaigns either. But I sometimes get them as presents. I am not really a champaign drinker. I prefer red wines from the Bourgogne and white wines from the Loire. There is where your Veuve du Vernay comes in. It looks like that is a sparkling wine from the Loire. But I had never heard of it before. I am glad you enjoy it. One should always drink what one enjoys - not by the label.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

Since this post is getting quite long i thought i would do a recap of what is so far.
Recap - Word 2003 docs take about 60+ sec to print
Disabling windows fire wall & norton anti-virus does not speed anything up

HP photosmart C5250 printer set to fast draft mode = less than 2 sec. for a full page of print once it starts printing
Printer is not powering down or going into sleep mode

My laptop computer: Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit - running MS Office Small Business Edition 2003 with SP3
3072 MB of ddr2 memory with a 2.1 Ghz amd turion 64x2 mobile processor with 512KB+512KB L2 Cache. the 160 GB 5400 rpm hard disk has approx 100 Gigs of free space on it.
nothing configured in my LAN settings - using the Network Magic software to run my wireless setup

Laptop>Network and sharing center>connection>view status>Speed =130.0Mbps

D-Link DIR-655 N GIGABIT Router Settings: 802.11 Mode: Mixed 802.11n, 802.11g, 802.11b
Auto Channel Scan enabled Transmission Rate: Best (Automatic)
Channel Width: 20 Mhz ( the other option is Auto 20/40 Mhz)

Downloaded & installed the doPDF virtual printer. set my default printer to the new virtual pdf printer and hit print on my Word doc again. it created the pdf file instantly. after making & saving a pdf document from the doPDF writer, i deleted all printers on my laptop and then used add a printer to install my shared desktop printer to my laptop wirelessly. the last part of the add a printer install ask if i wanted to print a test page - it took 14 sec to print

PRINTER ATTACHED DIRECTLY TO LAPTOP:
Word.doc - 12 sec to print a 2003 Word.doc

Printer attached to desktop & printing through the laptop wirelessly:
Word>PDF doc - 70 sec to queue and 10 more sec to print for a total print time of 80 sec
Word.doc - 50 sec to queue and 10 more sec to print for a total print time of 60 sec
Excel doc - 5 sec to queue and 11 more sec to print for a total print time of 16 sec
Test page - 0 sec to queue and 14 more sec to print for a total print time of 14 sec

All of the delay seems to be in these two originally generated Word docs getting into the printer queue.
I don't know if my laptop has its own printer queue or it is sending info to the desktop printer queue.
If it is sending it to the desktop queue then it could be a wireless communication slow down caused by Word.
If it has it’s own printer queue then it could be a communication problem between Word & the queue.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

bg,

Let me jump in for a moment.

The net is FULL of EXACTLY the same problems you are experiencing.

Word prints slow however Excel and other MS Office Programs print fairly fast over the network.

Did you say you or running an Anti-Virus Program in your Laptop in REAL TIME ??

What is it ??

Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

yes, i am running Norton Anti-Virus 2008. but as i said earlier, when i turn off windows firewall and Norton anti-virus Word still prints slow.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

Bg,

Are you sure Norton is completely cut off - Services and all ??

I'm not that familiar with Norton BUT to cut off AVG, one must (Disable) some Services which run in the background.

Also just trying to think of anything as your problem has been attacked by many members - Is the check box checked in MS Word Setup so that it (DOES NOT) Embed Common System Fonts ??

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

no, the box was not checked in Word that says "do not embed common system fonts". in order to check it you also have to check "True Type Fonts". after checking both boxes it takes 80 sec to print a Word doc which is 20 sec longer than when the boxes are not checked.

it is getting late, so i will go through all of the Norton services tomorrow and cut them off. will advise tomorrow the results.

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

BG, this thread is coming close to making the top 10 list for most posts in a thread. I wanted to address a question that you had above:

"i don't know if my laptop has its own printer queue or it is sending info to the desktop printer queue..."

When you have a network printer setup like this one, the local computer -- your laptop -- does create a print queue. Print jobs first go to the local print queue and then get transferred over to the remote queue which is on the print server. Since the local queue doesn't really need to process the data (in theory), it really doesn't need to stay local and can be sent to the remote queue immediately after it arrives. It is the job of the remote queue to convert the control codes in the data stream to a raster image as needed by the printer. This operation is what should really take the longest time.

The experiments that we have done show that print jobs from Word 2003 take a long time to get sent to the *local* queue. Once released for transfer to the remote queue, rasterizing, and such, the Word documents take no longer to print than any others. This suggests to me that the most likely culprit is Word itself. It's not likely the local or remote print queues, the printer drivers, the network, or the router.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

ScottW, that is an excellent summary of the situation. Easiest would be to use Word 2007. But bg said his wife needed some specific 2003 function (which I don't know what that could be). The one thing that baffles me though is that the .pdf file also took forever to print.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

bg,

I ASSUME You Have Updated MS Office 2003 With SP3 and ALL the Following Updates There After; Correct ??

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

yes, i have MS Office 2003 with SP3 and all of the latest updates. i run office 2007 on my desktop, but the reason i run office 2003 on my wifes laptop is because she does a lot of "Office" testing for job search firms and nobody is testing on 2007. 99.99% of them test on 2003.

i just completely uninstalled norton anti-virus from my laptop. nothing changed - it still takes 60 sec for a word doc to print.

as for the .pdf file taking so long to print just remember if was made from a 2003 word.doc.

at this point the only thing that i can think of is that word has some kind of code in it that has some conflicts with my particular set up.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

bg,

Did you put the Legacy FIX in Word 2003 that looks like below ??
Do you know how to make a .REG file registry change ??

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\Security\FileOpenBlock]
"FilesBeforeVersion"=dword:00000000

Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

i went through regedit and the above string is not there. when you click on Security there is no "FileOpenBlock...FilesBefore...=dword:00000000"

it has only two entries in Security:
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
Level REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)

and i do not know how to make the above change. what is Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00?

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

Bg,

Copy the following to the clip board (SEE BELOW)

Open Note Pad and Paste into text document.

Save Note Pad Document to Desktop with name FIX

You will have a Document on Desktop named FIX.TXT

Rename Document FIX.TXT to FIX.REG

Once Re-named, then click on Document to Atomatically Merge FIX.REG Entry into Registry.

COPY TEXT THAT IS BETWEEN LINES BELOW

======================================

"FilesBeforeVersion"=dword:00000000

======================================

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

ok, i just added the above registry fix exactly as described above (i didn't use clipboard - just copied and pasted into Note Pad and renamed)

opened the registry and verified that the fix was there

printed the same one word document and it took 65 sec to print

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

Bg,

Trying to go back in the thread to see times.

Is that better, the same or slower time to print Word Document ??

I had membered that MS purposely removed (4) Legacy Registry settings to force Migration to MS Office 2007.

Let me know as I have the other Fixes for Office 2003.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

actually the word doc took 5 sec longer to print than before after applying this fix.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

Bg,

Here is the Registry UNFIX.

Do the same as you did before to take the FIX OUT.
Notice the Registry Value Changes back to 65 from 00.

Was just hoping the Registry Change Would Work.
============================================

"FilesBeforeVersion"=dword:00000065

=============================================

As I said at the very beginning of this Thread; I have the COMPLETE MS OFFICE 2003 to even include MS Project, Visio, Front Page, etc., etc..... and don't understand the problem as I also print across a WiFi Network just as you do with almost the same setup.

May be ScottW will jump back in.

I'll keep monitoring the Thread and if I think of anything, I'll jump back in.

I never give up so hang in here.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

hey rick, to do the unfix do i still rename the doc to FIX.REG ? also, why can't i just go into the registry through regedit and just delete the fix that i put in?
regards, bg.

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

I think that we have narrowed this problem down. Word is the most likely suspect, not Vista or the printer, drivers, network, router, etc.

So, I would suggest that you post this question in a MS Office forum where many people with much Office experience will see it. Here are some Office forums that I googled up, the first being at MS and the others not:

http://www.microsoft.com/offic.....rview.mspx
http://www.techsupportforum.co.....e-support/
http://www.theofficeexperts.com/forum/index.php

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

bg,

Makes NO difference what you Rename file to except must have .REG extension.

You CAN manually reset DWORD in Registry to 65.

I suggest leaving FIX in as it makes Word 2003 Compatible with Older Programs.

I Have FIXED ALL My MS Office 2003 Programs to be Compatible with older Programs.

Your Choice.

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

ScottW: i will never again post on any of MS forums. they require your email address. i posted once before and immediately starting getting over 100 spam emails per day and a lot of them contained viruses.

I JUST WANT TO THANK EVERYBODY THAT HAS TRIED TO HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM. I NO LONGER CAN KEEP TRYING TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE - IT IS TAKING UP TOO MUCH OF MY TIME. SO, I WILL JUST LIVE WITH THE SLOW PRINTING IN WORD 2003.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

bg, too bad we could not help you, sorry for that. But if your wife prints a lot of files, she may consider writing them to an SD card or USB stick (as .doc or with doPDF) and carry them over to the desktop to print. This is not worth your time for single files, but for a whole bunch, it may be faster.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

for all the time everybody (included myself) spent on this problem i probably could have just gone out and bought another printer cheaper.
some of these new HP printers are great and fast except for one thing - they eat ink.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

bg,

Please Go To MS Update Site As Soon As Possible.

There Were a "Slew" of MS Office 2003 Updates Released Today (08/12/2008).

Could affect your MS Word Printing Issue.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

Rick: i cannot find what you are talking about. give me the exact address of where you looked. i just opened Word 2003>Help>Check For Updates and it took me to MS Office On Line and the latest Office 2003 updates listed are March 08.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

bg,

Sorry for not catching your post earlier.

Click on Start Button.

Menu should have MS Update Icon or Button.

Click on it and it will take you to MS Update Site.

Follow Directions BUT if you don't understand something, don't download but post back.

Regards,
Rick P. (Waiting)

Posted 8 years ago

bg

ok, i followed your above instructions and downloaded all the updates. now my 60 sec word doc takes 85 sec to print. after opening my printers window and making sure that the queue was empty i printed the word doc for a second time and it took 65 sec.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

bg,

Well the MS Updates didn't help your speed of printing but at least your security is improved according to MS so I guess that's Ok. Was hoping they had fixed some issues which would help you but they didn't.

Just keep looking at this thread from time to time or start a new one because someone in the group will come up with an answer sooner or later.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

bg

Rick: thank you very much for your help. by the way, what was it that MS did to try and force people to migrate to office 2007?

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

Well, it's official. This thread has hit the top 10 list of most popular topics. It's too bad that after all this, we were unable to resolve the problem. However, I think that you are right, BG, to live with the 60+ second print time rather than spend hours or days trying to resolve it.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

bg,

I do appreciate you kind thank you.

Your last question is better suited for a personal discussion rather than answered in a forum.

You can Always Contact me by clicking on Member under my icon, going to my Website and then clicking on the E-mail Button on the page. Also, I'm easy to google :)

As ScottW said in his post, it appears +/- 60 second printing is going to have to be adequate for now.

Sorry we couldn't come with a faster solution.

Kindest Regards To You And Yours,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

simmiepam

I've been searching for help with this forever.

My situation seems the same, but I haven't read this in any of the other posts.

Since installing Vista (and only then) my Word documents take forever to display the print window.

Before installing Vista, all was fine.

However, all other applications (i.e., Excel, Access, Adobe Acrobat, Publisher, etc) show the dialog box IMMEDIATELY when I request it to print.

Again, only Microsoft Word (Word 2003 with Microsoft Office Professional)takes more than 1 minute to show the print display box.

Any help for me?

Posted 8 years ago

bg

when i started this post i had just purchased a new laptop that came with vista already installed on it. the one variable that i have not taken into account for is that this is a vista/word 2003/wireless problem. i would not be surprised to find out that microsoft has intentionally included some code in vista to make it not work properly with word 2003 to try and force people to migrate to word or office 2007.

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

Simmiepam, hello. You should take this issue to a forum dedicated to users of MS Office. Now that we have seen two people with the same issue, there are probably many out there who have seen this. Someone may have an answer, but you need to get the question out where many Office users can see it. Try one of these forums, or any other you find that look helpful. The first one is the official MS Office forum:

http://www.microsoft.com/offic.....rview.mspx
http://www.techsupportforum.co.....e-support/
http://www.theofficeexperts.com/forum/index.php

Posted 8 years ago

bg

simmiepam: is your setup like mine as mentioned earlier in my post? i have a desktop with my printer plugged directly into it. my laptop is wireless and sends print to my printer via a wireless router. in one of my test i unplugged my printer from my desktop and plugged it directly into my wireless laptop and word printed without any delays.

Posted 8 years ago

baxev2005

I just registered facing a similar problem, but initially, when I first installed my HP OfficeJet J6400 printer as shared connected through USB in workstation I faced exactly the same delay problem, not only in Word printing, but in Acrobat Reader printing (WS with printer was OK, but 2 other WS using the shared printer suffered form delays). It vanished when I reverted to wireless printing, but now I have a Word lockup every ~5 secs when Word talks to printer!!!!

Posted 8 years ago

bg

baxev2005: are you using the Vista OS?

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.