The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Printer problems w/ Vista?

(29 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by krsn89
  • Latest reply from hep18
  • Topic Viewed 15074 times

krsn89

I have a Lexmark X74-X75 All-In-One from around 2003. Yeah, it's old, but it prints stuff and that's what I needed with my XP desktop. I bought a new HP printer for my desktop and so I decided to try and hook this one up to my laptop, which is running Windows Vista. As soon as I plugged the USB cord into my laptop, Windows recognized it, downloaded the drivers, etc. When I go to "Print" in Word, it shows up on the printer list, and if I click Preferences, the Lexmark preference list comes up too.

Now the problem is when it comes to ACTUALLY printing. An error comes up and says:

Microsoft Office Word:

Windows cannot print due to a current problem with the printer set up.

Also, when I push the Scan button on the printer, a box pops up that says:

Lexmark X74-X75:

Scan Button Press - Select the program to launch for this action:
- Scan
- Photoshop

When I choose Scan, another box comes up saying Error: Automatic Scanning could not be completed.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the Installation software, and I even tried going to Lexmark's website to see if there were any driver updates. As I had guessed, this printer is so obsolete that Lexmark doesn't even make drivers for it anymore.

Does this printer not work because I'm using Vista? I had it hooked up to a home network before and it worked fine, but at the same time, it's a different situation considering I'm using a USB.

Any solutions or insight would be sincerely appreciated.

Cheers everyone,
- KR

Posted 10 years ago

jd2066

That is odd. If a driver was automaticly found and installed then it should be working.
The drivers included in Windows Vista are ones Microsoft has worked with the manufacter on and/or tested to make sure Vista works with.
I have hooked up two older HP printers to computers with Windows Vista and they worked just fine.

Edit: The above is in reference to installing an older printer with Windows Vista.
From reading your post again, it sounds like you have a slightly different problem.
Are you trying to hook up both an older Lexmark printer and a new HP printer to the same computer and it's not working?

Edit 2:
Here are a few other questions to clarify things:
If so Where did the drivers for each come from?
If you are using an older Lexmark driver and a new HP driver there could be a conflict between them.

Posted 10 years ago

krsn89

Yeah, that's exactly why I'm confused. I don't know that much about computers, but I can usually get around problems like this. The odd thing is that Vista recognizes my printer! The Lexmark programs show up and everything when I'm going to print, but it doesn't actually print. Arghhh =(

Edit: Sorry, I wrote it in a rush so it might be confusing. I'm trying to hook up the old Lexmark printer to my new, Vista laptop (the HP printer is hooked up to another comp). So, the printers are in no way connected to each other. Hope that clarifies things.

Posted 10 years ago

jd2066

So the new HP printer is hooked up to an older Windows XP computer and the lexmark is hooked to the new Windows Vista computer?

Posted 10 years ago

krsn89

Exactly. You can just ignore the HP + XP comp, sorry, I don't exactly know why I mentioned it anyways.

I have a feeling that maybe it isn't compatible with Vista, but at the same time, I've used it before, though not thru USB.

Posted 10 years ago

jd2066

Did the Lexmark drivers you installed come from Windows Vista or the disc that came with the printer?

Posted 10 years ago

krsn89

I tried both. I didn't put the disc in the first time, and I guess Vista just searched for it and installed. When that didn't work, I tried installing the printer drivers from the disc. Both times the results were the same: the programs work on my computer, my laptop recognized the printer, it was on the printer list etc, but I still can't print OR scan at all.

Posted 10 years ago

jd2066

If Windows Vista found a driver itself then like my first post said it should have worked. That is odd.
I don't really know what to do about that.
For an older driver you can try running a program as Administrator and see if printing works then.
Just right click on a program shortcut and click "Run As Administrator".
Also do that with notepad. The option doesn't appear for Microsoft Office shortcuts for some reason.

Posted 10 years ago

krsn89

Thanks for replying.

I tried it on WordPad, and nothing happened. The Print dialog box came up but that was it. Not even the printer notifier thing (?) came up in the notification area. When I use it with Notepad, after the Print dialog box, another error message comes up. It says "The handle is invalid."

Any suggestions?

Posted 10 years ago

jd2066

Did you try running WordPad As Administrator and printing?

Posted 10 years ago

GaardCeteru

Download the driver by yourself from internet, that way you can make sure its vista compatible and be sure it is set as the "default printer that may fix many problems with all in one printers, you could also make sure you have some "imaging center" on or some kind of software that installs itself with the printer and helps control it (i your printer has any).

If the driver is not vista compatible vista wont be able to do anything from it no matter if the computer says "correctly installed" (I had the same from a Lexmark z25 printer about 4 months ago, ended up disabling it and leaving it for my sister's XP machine).

Posted 10 years ago

krsn89

@jd2066: Yes, I tried running WordPad as administrator. I tried it w/ Notepad too.

@GaardCeteru: I tried looking for the driver on Lexmark's website, and they don't have one. When I plugged in the printer the first time to my ocmputer, Windows automatically found a driver & installed it, so I assumed it was compatible? The Lexmark Solution Center & all the other things that came on the disc are installed & working properly, which further complicates the problem.

Posted 10 years ago

jd2066

I searched for the error message and found the page at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223420
It's for troubleshooting printer problems under Windows XP but the steps may work under Windows Vista too.

Posted 10 years ago

krsn89

Thanks for the link jd. The first solution on that page was to basically delete the printer & re-install it. I tried that, and no results. Everything seemed to be the same. If I try to print something in Notepad/WordPad it still says "the handle is invalid." If I try it in Word, a dialog box comes up and it says that there's a problem with the current printer setup, and then a list of possible solutions, which I've already tried.

After installing and reinstalling several times (both through just the USB & then the disc), Windows keeps saying that "this device has been installed successfully" and when attempting to update, Windows says that I already have the most up-to-date drivers.

Lastly, I forgot how I got there, but on an Install Printer dialog, a list came up of Printer brands & models. I clicked "Have Disc" and then proceeded to Browse for it. When I clicked the Drive that the disc came up on, an error message came up saying "The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for 32-bit systems."

So, even though Windows says it's been properly installed and everything, does this message basically indicate that I should give up? Is there no other way to get around this?

Posted 10 years ago

jd2066

It seems like it should be working. I wouldn't want to give up yet though I don't really have any more ideas on that problem at the moment.

Posted 10 years ago

krsn89

Well, I've kind of given up now, so that's ok. I got my laptop to work wirelessly with the computer printer downstairs. This is really unrelated (I don't want to start a new thread), but is there any way I can print from my laptop to the printer downstairs (hooked up to my XP comp) without having the XP comp ON?

The only way my Network sees my XP comp is when that computer is actually on. That's the only time I can print things from my laptop too.

So essentially, my questions are:

(1) Can I print things from my laptop without the XP computer being on?

(2) Is my computer always supposed to show up in my Network screen? Even when it's not on? Because if it isn't on, it doesn't show up at all. Only my laptop & my router show up, but not the other computer. Is there a way to fix this or is it supposed to happen?

Posted 10 years ago

jd2066

No, your computer will not show in any lists or share any files or printers while it's off.
Those have to served by the computer sharing the files and it can't do that when it's off.
There are USB Printer server devices you can connect to do printer sharing but they can be a little costly just to share a printer (Netgear has one for about US $50).

Posted 10 years ago

krsn89

That's true. Oh well, maybe I'll get a wifi printer next or something. Those ought to work shouldn't they?

Anyways jd, thanks for all the help & info.

Cheers,
- Kelly

Posted 10 years ago

jd2066

Assuming it had a compatible Vista driver then it should. I haven't used a Wifi printer before so I don't know for sure.

Posted 10 years ago

hep18

Hi there.
I have a similar problem. I have recently bought a Dell PC with Vista Home Premium as the OS. I have a Windows XP (home edition) PC with a printer attached and also a laptop running XP Pro. My Epson RX520 printer is attached to the XP PC and my laptop can access the printer through the wireless network.

The vista PC can see the printer and also the network. I have no trouble accessing shared documents over the network.

I have tried installing the vista compatible printer from Epson and also tried access the shared printer but the 'Install Driver' hangs when trying to Add Printer but everything appears to install and configure correctly on executing the Epson driver.exe. The printer does not get the messages to print though.

It is most definitely a driver problem but I am going round and round in circles trying the same things over and over.

If the printer can be manually installed, which port should it use? LPT?

Is anyone able to help?

Many thanks.

Posted 10 years ago

Lighthouse

As for the port, LPT1 is correct (as long as it is not in use by something else)

Posted 10 years ago

jd2066

If you have a printer with a parallel port then LPT1 is correct.
If you have a printer with USB then it is not and will not work.
You cannot manually add a USB printer though the Add Printer wizard.
It will automatically appear when plugged in if a driver is found.
I'm not sure but I think you need to use Device Manager for a USB printer. I'm not sure though as my USB printer is plugged into a Linux server not a Vista computer.

Posted 10 years ago

Lighthouse

@jd2066, If it's a usb printer, I don't think the correct driver is automatically found when you plug it in (just a generic). You still have to select your printer and let the wizard install the correct driver. If I have time, I'll try it out later.

Posted 10 years ago

jd2066

@Lighthouse: I think it depends. If the needed driver is already installed or in included set of drivers in Windows then it's automatically installed and if it's not a wizard appears asking what to do.

Posted 10 years ago

Lighthouse

@jd2066. That may well be the case. I have an old LPT printer which obviously doesn't auto detect (drivers for it are on Vista DVD). And a newish Multi (Printer/scanner etc) on usb, that installs a generic driver (drivers for it are not on Vista DVD)

Posted 10 years ago

hep18

I have been trying out everything I can think of to try to get the printer to print from the Vista PC.

On examination of the Event Log I am finding an entry of:

Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 2. The system cannot find the file specified.

Has anyone managed to overcome this problem?

Many thanks for all your suggestions.

Posted 10 years ago

hep18

I would also like to add the following Event Log entry:

The print spooler failed to reopen an existing printer connection because it could not read the configuration information from the registry key S-1-5-18\Printers\Connections. The print spooler could not open the registry key. This can occur if the registry key is corrupt or missing, or if the registry recently became unavailable.

I am currently trawling websites to find any clues and suggestions.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Many thanks.

Posted 10 years ago

jd2066

According to http://help.wugnet.com/vista/P.....01387.html creating the key connections in the registry key HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Printers will solve the problem.

Posted 10 years ago

hep18

Finally conquered the problem.

I added a local port using the \\computername\printername and this found the printer.

I can now succesfully print.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.