The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Please help computer is way too slow

(8 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by thumperforfun
  • Latest reply from robertcharlesent
  • Topic Viewed 2410 times

thumperforfun

ok i have a toshiba satellite c655 laptop with i3 core processor and windows 7 64 bit. well my computer is running slower than usual lately and i have 44 processes running. plus when i have 1 window of google chrome plus open in my task manager under processes there is like 3 or 4 google chrome running. i also have 11 host process forwindows services running. is this normal? how can i speed up my computer?

Posted 7 years ago

fortuna

Hi,

This problem can be a result of several things.. You might have installed too many softwares that caused too many processes to run in the background, you might need to defrag you hard disks.
However, i would check whether you have some kind of a spyware/virus running in the background.. a good and free software for spyware/malware is Combofix, search for it in google.

Hope it'll help...

Posted 7 years ago

vistamike

Please be careful with Combofix if you are inexperienced.
See this; http://www.bleepingcomputer.co.....e-combofix

Mike

Posted 7 years ago

mfletch

We need to know what is starting at startup so can you please download the latest version of CCleaner from here http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Install in then open Ccleaner click on TOOLS>STARTUP

Can you take a snapshot of it or tel use what is starting at startup

Posted 7 years ago

whs

44 processes running is normal - actually it is a low number. Several Google instances are normal - some are cached. Host processes run the .dlls. there can be many. That is not unusual.

You say that the problem occured recently. Can you recall an event (e.g. installation of a program) that could have triggered that. Have a look in Resource Monitor > Memory tab. There is a graph on the right bottom that shows Hard Faults. Do you see any activity there. Mayby you can post a snip of the whole page including the colored line graph.

Posted 7 years ago

gustavoamadorymailcom

I've noticed that with google chrome the # of tabs you have open in it is the # of process the task manager will show...but even then it does not take up as much resources as I.E. ; in the run command type msconfig, press enter, under the "startup" tab un-check any programs that you think are not necessary and apply changes (you'll need to restart your computer for changes to take effect). Then, like fortuna mentioned, you might also want to defrag your hard drive regularly. Good luck...hope we were some help.

Posted 7 years ago

edmenje

I once had to help speed up computers in the computer lab where I work, seems the previous instructor/maintainer loaded both AVG and Spybot S&D which were creating conflicts and slowing up the whole works (these were running XP with 512Mb or less ram and were slowed to a crawl as both were running live scanning and hogging resources). As fortuna states, this could be caused by many things, but conflicting AV's could be one possibility to look into. Only 44 processes you said, but how much of your resources are they accessing?

Running Defraggler and CCleaner couldn't hurt and may help increase speed by drfragging the HDD and removing unnecessary files and startup processes as mfletch and fortuna suggested.

If maleware is possible, you can run first Superantispyware Portable then Malwarebytes as a duo, I have found them to work great in most situations to find and dispose of lots of malware that was slowing down machines that were brought to me where the complaint was just "It's running too slow".

Posted 7 years ago

robertcharlesent

This always worked for me:
Go to my computer
right click - properties and disk cleanup
after disk clean up
go to run (XP) or search programs (W7)
type msconfig
go to start up and disable all except ur Apple and virus programs
go to services and check hide all Microsoft services then uncheck all except ur Apple and Virus programs
exit and restart ur computer.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.