How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Physical Memory constantly running at 40%+

(16 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by chocky909
  • Latest reply from chocky909
  • Topic Viewed 9343 times

chocky909

Hi

I've been having a problem since last night. I'm not sure what triggered it but my Physical Memory has been running at upwards of 40% minimum even with nothing running and persists despite several system reboots. There is nothing obvious in the Task manager that I can see and I've run virus scans and anti spyware.

I don't really know where else to look. I very rarely have problems that aren't solved by turning my PC off and on again. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

chocky909, hello. How much memory do you have? In Task Manager, go to the Processes tab and click the button "Show processes from all users". Sort on the Memory column. Click the column header twice to sort form high to low and find what is hogging memory. If you don't see a Memory column, go to the menu View -> "Select Columns..." and pick one of Working set, Private working set, or Commit size. You could also try the Resource Monitor on the Performance tab which has a memory section.

Posted 9 years ago

chocky909

I've looked in there but there's nothing obvious to me. Is there?

I noticed there seem to be a lot of svhost.exe processes.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

How much memory do you have?

Posted 9 years ago

chocky909

Oh sorry I thought I'd put that. I'm running Vista Home Premium on an Athlon X2 4800 with 2Gb RAM. My system keeps struggling to do basic things today.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

I'm not sure that there is a problem. I also have 2 GB of RAM with Vista Home Premium. Right now, with lots of apps running, I have 55 processes and my memory is running at 50%. Your numbers from above, 31% and 48%, don't look so bad.

It's normal to have lots of svchost.exe processes running. Those are services and we all have some.

Posted 9 years ago

chocky909

Maybe I am worrying about nothing. So is it normal for the memory usage to be around the 40% mark with no main programs running? That puts my mind at rest anyway. Thanks Scott.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

If your pagefile is too small, that could cause more main memory to be used. Let us have a look at your Performance tab in Task Manager if you want more assurance. My pagefile is system managed and is at 2346 MB.

Posted 9 years ago

LH

Looks about average to me.

Posted 9 years ago

chocky909

I'm starting to feel a bit silly now...

Posted 9 years ago

whs

All your numbers look completely normal. For the RAM usage it is not only important what programs you are using right now but also what you have used (directly or indirectly) in the recent past. Vista "remembers" what was used and assumes that you might be using the same program again. That's why it keeps the program (or parts of it) at hand. Over time it will age and disappear and be replaced by more recent ones. Often you may not even be aware of what was used - e.g. if your security program did a scan in the background, it will take a chunk of RAM although you yourself have not used a lot of other programs.
Bottom line: nothing to worry about.

PS: If the system is sluggish, it may also be a contention problem for the disk. E.g. if Vista is in the process of writing an shadow (restore point) or writing an error report, normal disk access may be delayed and the whole system feels sluggish. If this, however, persists over long periods of time, one should try to trace the cause - e.g. with Process Explorer. http://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
Also, although 2GB is sufficient to run Vista, 3GB (or even 4GBs) is better.

Posted 9 years ago

chocky909

OK thanks guys. I guess I was seeing problems where there aren't any although it was really struggling at points. I was doing some intensive stuff yesterday that I've not done before. Encoding video stuff. Maybe that's got something to do with it. It seems OK now although I think I might invest in some more RAM anyway. Is there any way to find out what speed/type I have already without opening my machine up? It's only 2 yr old.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

Scan your system with Crucial. They will tell you exactly what your options are and what they cost. Crucial is a decent company, but it never hurts to shop around once you know what you need/want.

PS: Video encoding is heavy duty stuff indeed. That's where you need Mips and RAM.

Posted 9 years ago

chocky909

Excellent stuff. Just ordered myself 2x1gb 667mhz RAM to go with the two already in there. That should ease any strenuous activities in the future.

Thanks again for all your help guys/gals. You're all lovely.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

chocky, the pagefile use looks good. I have noticed some things, though. The number of processes is jumping around -- 62, 55, 66. Some fluctuation is normal when nothing is going on. If that was you rebooting, launching apps, and closing them, then no worries. If not, let me know.

I also notice that the CPU usage is non-zero, 3%, 4%, 7%, which is OK if you know what is running. It could be the OS running background tasks, as whs suggests. Maybe a restore point, or the indexer, or superfetch. At some point, though, it should calm down. Lots of non-paged Kernel memory, relatively, which also suggests that the OS is working. What kind of CPU is it?

Your numbers are all within normal ranges and 3 snaps in time is not a good indicator. You should clean out your Startups as much as possible -- I see iTunesHelper in the process list and you don't need it. Do you run a security suite (firewall, AV, malware checks)? Obviously, you have Spybot S&D, but anything else? It never hurts to scan for malware, especially when things aren't working just right.

What are you using for video encoding? I use TMPGEnc 4.0 Xpress for best quality and speed.

Posted 9 years ago

chocky909

Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 2.5ghz. I just use AVG Free and Windows Firewall.

I'll check out later some of those things you mention. I've already gone into Windows Defender and gotten changed a load of 'startup programs' that I'd rather start if and when I need them. Hopefully when I reboot it'll be a little quicker. I'll get back to you. Cheers.

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.