The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - PhatNoise Media Manager & Windows Vista

(12 posts)
  • Started 10 years ago by FlacoLDR
  • Latest reply from FlacoLDR
  • Topic Viewed 16269 times

FlacoLDR

OK, I have this program called PhatNoise Media Manager, works fine with XP, but my XP is a desktop, I ain't tryin to carry that beast around. My laptop is Vista, I wanna place the PhatNoise Media Manager on it. Already, I hit up the original manufacture of the program & I got this for reply.

---> Please note that Windows Vista is not officially compatible.

The AT&T Natural Voice Engine that ships with some versions of the PhatNoise Music Manager or PhatNoise Media Manager is not Windows Vista compatible. The AT&T voices are third party software and we are unable to resolve the incapability issue because we did not create this software.

Kenwood branded USB 1.1 (ISD) cradles will not work with Windows Vista. Please contact www.cypress.com for information about ISD drivers.

Note that the PhatNoise Media Manager will not work with Windows 64 bit operating systems.

USB 2.0 cradles DO NOT need drivers for Windows Vista. The PhatBox has been discontinued and we will no longer sell accessories. We apologize for the inconvenience.

There is a work around for the PhatNoise Media Manager to work with Vista.

Please follow the instructions below.

Please go to ftp://phatnoise.harman.com/

Download the file named PMM_3.92_setup_FULL.exe and install it OVER your current installation. (You can right click the file, click Copy, then go to your desktop, right-click and click Paste.) Double click the file to install the full latest version. You should no longer need an activation code.

Once the PhatNoise Media Manager 3.92 is installed, follow the instructions below:

1. Right-click on the PMM icon on the desktop and select "Properties"
2. Click the "Shortcut" tab
3. Click "Advanced" button
4. Check the "run as administrator" box
5. Click "OK"

Best regards,

PhatNoise Customer Support

Now, MY QUESTION IS: Is the effort of just erasing Vista of my latop & placing XP & having my program work correctly on it a better deal then jus going with Vista & having it not funtion at all & have days/nights of bullsh*t.....? Just asking for pointers & comments, if some actually got this problem & got it resolved please let me know what you went threw to get to your intented goal. 1

Posted 10 years ago

whs

Why are you so sold on this particular media player. There are dozens of fine media players around that work perfectly well on Vista. Do you use some specific function that is exclusiv on PhatNoise. Else it looks like pretty old stuff. Would be ashame to have to go back to the ancient XP just for that - seems to me at least. Maybe we can recommend a Vista alternative if you tell us what specifically you are looking for.

Posted 10 years ago

FlacoLDR

Well, I am running Ultimate on my system, Phatnosie is a 4 part compnent sys. There is a harddrive reader, a removable harddrive [DMS], A home cradle for the harddrive & the software. The harddrive reader connects with my receiver in my car [as a multi-cd player] the harddrive of course holds all the media [ie mp3's & wma's] the cradle os the section that connects to the PC where phatnosie software is & tranfers/encodes the media to be played in your car. I don't mind going back to XP.... It is better to me compared to Vista..... My Laptop is a HP Pavilion 6000 [6205us] with a Intel Dual-core @ 1.60, 1.5 gb memory, OS is a 32-bit. what else can I say or tell you?

Posted 10 years ago

jd2066

That sounds like a good reason to keep using the software.
I think whs was thinking it was software only like Winamp or RealPlayer where the software can just be replaced with something else with little or no loss of function.
Now on your options:
1. Try to make the software work on Windows Vista.
This is the better option if possible.
For help on this I have a couple questions:
Did you try following the steps in the email from the manufacturer for getting it to work?
If so do you get any error messages when trying it?
2. Go back to Windows XP.
This can be done but is usually a pain as you need to search online for all the drivers you need and some things will probably still not work right.
Most of the trouble is because the computer manufacturer will not provide Windows XP drivers so you end up using other ones that don't work that well on that computer model.
If you can't get the software to work I can help with installing Windows XP and finding Windows XP drivers if they exist.

Posted 10 years ago

pipo

You can probably try running it in Windows XP SP 2 compatability mode. (I can't seem to find the article about it here in HTG, somebody please provide the link :D).

to run in compatability mode, just right-click the shortcut or the application you want to run > properties > compatability tab > tick the 'Run this program in compatability mode for: ' then choose Windows XP (Service Pack 2) or if you want to try another mode.

Posted 10 years ago

whs

jd apparently joined the ranks of clairvoyants.

Posted 10 years ago

jd2066

It didn't have anything to do with being a clairvoyant.
I just figured with the comment "Why are you so sold on this particular media player." you didn't know it was a software + hardware package and thought it was something that could be replaced easily.
With the comment from FlacoLDR "what else can I say or tell you?" it seemed like FlacoLDR was confused as to why you said that and possibly not happy about being told to replace it.
So I added something in my post to clear up any confusion on it and explain what happened in the case of FlacoLDR not being happy about the response.
It would be really nice if I was clairvoyant. I wouldn't need to ask anyone about things like what OS or computer model they have or guess the answer if they don't know.

Posted 10 years ago

spram0

So I have vista, I've installed the CD software. I can't get the link to the FTP site above to work. I've searched high and low and still been unable to get the PhatNoise Music Manager to find the device to load songs on the cartridge.

any ideas?

Posted 10 years ago

FlacoLDR

Nah, Sry,..... I don't know what I can tell you Spram0. I took the alternet route on my PC... I put XP on my my Laptop... Once I get back to the states from Iraq, i will get my Phatnoise on it & go from there.... 1

Posted 10 years ago

FlacoLDR

O yea, Thanks jd2066, pipo, & whs.... For giving me a lil insight. 1

Posted 10 years ago

Roman

He,fist of all sorry for my terrible english i hope you can understand what i want.
I whant to download the PMM 3.92 version (i have a old version 3.5 and it dosent recognize my DVD-RW) but when i klick on the link to phatnoise.harman.com, it pop up a windows an ask me for a username and password.
My question is how or where i can get the usernamen and password to download the PMM ?

Posted 10 years ago

FlacoLDR

Update,... I got the program to work makin it Vista compatible by making Vista run it as Admin & under XP SP2 in the properties compatibility. thank you all for your assistance. I really appreciate it. 1

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.