The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Password-Protect a USB Flash Disk

(8 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by Hatryst
  • Latest reply from eddissonuk
  • Topic Viewed 4178 times

hatryst

Hi. Here's the scene: I want to password-protect my USB flash disk (Kingston - 4GB). I want to do it so that when i connect it to some other PC, and try to access it, it should require a password to open it, or to open any particular folder. I read an article about encrypting the USB but it would work with only my own PC, i want to use such a USB on any PC, so that i can access my data anywhere, as well as it is secure. I hope i've made myself clear :)

Help/ideas would be appreciated... Thanks in advance !

Posted 8 years ago

whs

I have never used it myself, but this looks like a possible solution: http://www.newsoftwares.net/fo.....drive.html

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

Hatryst, encryption is the only way to keep your data private. Using software such as Folder Lock to "lock" the files will not prevent them from being read without the password.

Truecrypt does encryption and runs on Windows, Mac OS X, and is available for Linux. You will need the executable, truecrypt.exe, and driver (.sys file) on the USB in order to run it and access the encrypted data. Also, Truecrypt is freeware. If you want a USB drive that requires a password without any extra software, you need to buy a secure USB drive with built-in encryption hardware. These are more expensive than regular USB drives because of the extra security hardware. The Ironkey drives are an example of a secure USB flash drive.

@whs, looking at neosoftwares.net, it looks like they sell software that others provide for free. Folder Lock or USB Secure can be replaced with Truecrypt, History Clean can be replaced by CCleaner, and Macro Keys can be replaced by AutoHotKey. I think that we should never recommend this kind of paid software without mentioning the freeware alternatives that are available.

Posted 8 years ago

hatryst

Thanks whs and ScottW...

ScottW, i have a question. If i use truecrypt (i have read an article on it once), will i be able to access my data ANYWHERE where i plug in my USB, like, if i encrypt my data from my own PC, will i be able to access that data in any other PC?
And if YES, will it require any password as well?

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

Basically, the answer is yes. When you create a Truecrypt volume, it is encrypted and password protected. Once it's created, running Truecrypt and entering your password is the only way to access that data -- it doesn't matter which computer you are on.

One problem to watch out for is the need to run the device driver. That requires administrative privilege. If you are only given a standard user or limited user account under Windows, you won't be able to access your encrypted volume.

Accepted Answer · Posted 8 years ago

hatryst

and that ends it, because i wanted to use it in my university and we don't have admin privileges there !
but thanks for the help :)

Posted 8 years ago

0zSpitt

i found this on a computer once my lockbox i never used it before and a security scan, i think with spyware doctor showed the program as hidden files. which is the purpose. so it might show a false positive.

Posted 8 years ago

eddissonuk

hatryst, i recently bought a verbatim usb drive and it came with a password software. i havent found the need myself.. but maybe it might be suitable for you.. or use winzip and set passwords on the files if the zip files are executables you shouldnt need to install software on the pc youre visiting.

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.