The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

partition error [there is not enough space available ] please help!

(15 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by butcherknife
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 11198 times

butcherknife

so, i have been trying to partition my c drive for almost five days now with not luck.
first thing i tried was my computer-right click-manage-disk manager...i tried to partition from there only to find i only had 75mb available for partitioning (when i actually have almost 30 gigs unused, in theory anyways!), so i googled that and tried all the work arounds possible...i.e disabling system restore, paging file, difrag ( windows' and several other 3rd parties')..that did free up some space, about 7 gigs! oh well, i thought i'd partition that much at least but NO, now i'm getting a "there is not enough space available on the disk" error message!
i have already tried third party partitioning programs such as easeus, partitioning wizard, etc..but like i said, no luck. they seem to the job but as soon as it asks me for a reboot the computer just crashes and im back to the beginning. this is so annoying!
any help will be greatly appreciated! thanks (:

Posted 8 years ago

LH

butcherknife hi. What are you actually trying to achieve ?

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

You can't partition your O/S partition through windows, which is oyur "C" partition.
The 71mb is reserved for windows7 boot files so you can't do anything with that unless you want to start from scratch.
Looks like your "D" partition has 6.2 gb free + 22gb from "C" that comes to 28gb free.
Problem is you can't take some from "C" and some from "D" and make another partition the way it is currently.
You will have to delete "D" then shrink "C", then in the unallocated space make another new partition
What are really trying to do???

Posted 8 years ago

butcherknife

i was thinking i could shrink my C drive, specially since they're able to do it on tutorial videos and having only one partition, c.
but anyway, you're suggesting i delete my D which is the recovery partition? can i make a recovery dvd and or partition image in case i need it later on?
also, if i was to delete D's and merge it with C, would that then let me use the partition shrink option or do i leave it unallocated and use it for whatever purpose i want it to?

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Leave the recovery partition as it is.
Run multiple passes with this, (on C:)
http://www.filehippo.com/download_defraggler/
After the 1st pass, see how much you can shrink C:
Next pass, shrink C: again. etc, etc.

And you should make recovery DVD's as well. That should be in your computer manual.

Posted 8 years ago

butcherknife

i have done that, i think i have defragged it at least 15 times since last night, about twice with
each program.
i read earlier that, both vista and 7 aren't able to relocate centain files when defragging, files like paging file and shadow copy storage areas,
making it hard for the partitioning to take place. is this true? is there any programs that can help move those types files or maybe, can i even moves those manually?
thanks a lot for the replies, though. i will try your defraggler right now.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

You can disable Paging, and Shadow storage, which I'm guessing is what you need to do right now.
See what DeFraggler throws up.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

1. This disk is unusually small. Is tha a SSD?
2. I am still not clear what you are trying to achieve
3. With what operation do you get the message you displayed - when you want to shrink?
4. The 71MB patition is not your boot partition. It contains tools and is possibly used for BitLocker (in Win7 Ultimate)
5. Is this a desktop or a laptop?
6. Defrag will not buy yiu much - if any.
7. Moving files is easy, especially user files. But for that you would need another drive.

Posted 8 years ago

butcherknife

yes, i click on shrink and i get the loading cursor, next comes the "there's not enough...." error message.
it is a laptop and well i was trying to free up a few gigs to try ubuntu. double boot. just for a few days.

would diskpart help at all?

can i temporarily move those files to a removable drive?

Posted 8 years ago

LH

If you move them, they will only re-create. So turn off paging, and system restore, completely.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

whs

Quote: "can i temporarily move those files to a removable drive?"

That depends on the files. If you are talking about user files, the answer is yes. With system files I would not mess.

But ultimately will have to consider to get a bigger disk. In the interim, I would suggest you burn the recovery DVDs from the recovery partition and free this partition up for Ubuntu. As an extra security take an image of your C partition to your external drive with free Macrium

Posted 8 years ago

sanjayadixit

hello everyone
this is me not posting a solution rather my problem with the disk management system.
i installed ubuntu LTS as dual boot on an unallocated space and later removed it and deleted the contents , now i have a free space of 100 GB left and then the NEW simple volume wizard says, there is not enough space available on the disk to complete this operation, so i am trapped not being able to use that space in my hard disk, any solution please
Thanks in advance

Posted 8 years ago

LH

sanjayadixit hi. Please start a New Topic for your question.

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

butcherknife, Since you are tight for free space and if you want to try Unbuntu you can run it off your disk or you can make a backup image of your "C" drive to external storage then install Unbubtu on "C". When you are finished then just use your image to restore your system.
The reason you can't shrink "C" is because there is data at the end of the partition and it can't be moved.

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.