The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

(Solved) - Outlook 2007: The Operation failed. An object could not be found

(4 posts)
  • Started 11 years ago by garrod76
  • Latest reply from WhyOutlookWhy
  • Topic Viewed 35718 times

garrod76

I have tried to find an answer for this problem, and although I found similar questions and suggested answers in different groups (even from the Microsoft Office site), I don't have a solution yet. Here is my best shot at describing the problem:

I use Outlook 2007 and Vista. The To-do bar does not show the tasks portion, only an error message in its place: "The operation failed. An object could not be found". This has been the case for a while, no matter if I restart the program or the computer. The To-do bar shows the calendar and appointments, which I like, but the problem is with the tasks. Also, when I go to the Calendar folder, the "daily task list" (which I have checked to show in the view options) does not show, and instead the same error message appears. Otherwise email, calendar, contacts and notes work fine.

When I go to the Tasks folder, on the panel to the left, under "My Tasks" I see two groups: "To-do list" and "Tasks". Every time I go to the Tasks folder the program goes by default to the "To-do list" group, and I don't see any item, only an error message that says "Cannot display the folder". When I click on the next group "Tasks", then all tasks that I have show up, but still they do not show in the To-do bar or in the Calendar view.

I found in the Microsoft side a suggested "workaround" to right-click the personal folder, click Properties, click to select the Display reminders and tasks from this folder in the To-Do Bar check box, and then click OK. I found that this check box was already checked, therefore it did not help my case.

Here is another piece in case it helps in diagnosing the problem--I do not know whether this is something important or not: When trying to figure out a way to solve the problem I found in the Tasks folder, on the left panel under 'All task items" (a search tool) that when I click on the arrow head next to it, it lists "personal folders" twice, but only one is selected by default. Not sure why it has 2 entries for personal folders, but I have tried clicking both as well and the problem still persists.

I would very much like to have the To-do bar work fine. Thank you for your help.

Garrod76

Posted 11 years ago

adrianf-c

Hi Garrod76,

I had the same problem. Fixed it with help from this site:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.outlook.installation&tid=7fdee272-036e-492a-8bf0-e41485f037f8&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1

Seems as though I had the same PST file listed twice in the data file setup

Posted 11 years ago

garrod76

Thank you, adrianf-c.

I followed the link you provided, all the way down to the response from Ian_C. That was the piece that solved my problem.

Thank you for the prompt assistance; much appreciated.

Garrod76

Posted 11 years ago

WhyOutlookWhy

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I tried following the link in adrianf-c's comment and unfortunately the page no longer exists.

Could anyone provide some insight into the suggestions listed there?

Thanks!

Posted 10 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.