jeremydup

I have a new PC with Windows 7
I installed Outlook 2007
I used Windows easy transfer to transfer everything from old PC
I opened Outlook and all my emails are there
If I click the Contacts navigation bar I can see all my contacts

However:
If I create a new email and click TO, there are NO contacts shown

If I right click on Contacts and click properties and click Outlook address book tab, I cannot tick "Show this folder as an email address book" because it is greyed out.

I have tried going to Tools, Account settings and selecting address books. There it shows "Outlook Address book MAPI". If I click change the dialog does not list any address books. I can't remove it because remove is greyed out
I can't create a new address book because it says "Account or directory type already
exists" !!

How do i make my address book show?
How do I just delete the address book and start entering them manually?

Posted 8 years ago

Narf

Jeremydup,
What shows when you select Tools / Address book? Are your contatcs listed there? Which address book is being displayed? If there are none showing from inside the address book once again select Tools / Options. from there you can change which address book to show first. That will set it as a default. This used to happen quite a bit in office 2003 and prior.

Narf

Posted 8 years ago

jeremydup

Thanks Narf

Image 1 shows what I see when I click the contacts navigation pane. As you can see all my contacts are there

Image 2 shows what I see when I right-click on the Contacts at the top and click properties. Then select outlook address book tab. The tick box is greyed out so i can't tick it

Image 3 shows what I see when I select tools/Address book and when i click To on an email

Image 4 shows what I see when I select tools / options and select mail format

image 5 shows what I see when I click change to change the address book

Posted 8 years ago

Narf

Jermeydup,

That's not right! I see by your post on office-outlook.com that Brian Tillman Showed you one way to fix it. If it was me, The first thing I would do is Move your pst file to another location (Desktop is a good place). Then open outlook and step through setting up your account. Once done Import all your information from your old pst file on your desktop. This seems like a quicker way than the long steps Brian listed. If it doesn't work then you could do it his way.

If you need help locating files feel free to ask.

Narf

Posted 8 years ago

jeremydup

Thanks for your advice. I did the following

Unistalled Outlook 2007
Moved the PST file to desktop
Reinstalled Outlook and started it
It complained there was no PST file and seemed to be looking for the one I moved ! How does it know?
I clicked cancel but it won't let me in to outlook to set it up. Is there some other file I must delete?

After posting this, I clicked OK instead of cancel and outlook opened up with no emails or contacts obviously. I then went to import and imported the PST file from the desktop. Unfortunately, it shows the same as I had before and images above. :-(

Posted 8 years ago

jeremydup

If I want to start again, how do I do it?

I have a vista PC with Outlook 2007 running fine

I want to get Outlook 2007 with same settings, emails, accounts, addresses onto a new Windows 7 PC where I have already installed Outlook 2007. I am happy to remove all traces of Outlook 2007 on new PC if I knew how to and start again.

Posted 8 years ago

Narf

Before reinstalling again try this:

Close Outlook
Click on Start, right click on outloook that's pinnned to your start menu - Properties - Show Profiles - Add. After you walk thru the setup make sure the new profile is selected under "Always use this profile". Then open outlook. You should have no data in it until you import it. If that works go back to outlook properties and delete the old profile.

Narf

Posted 8 years ago

jeremydup

Narf thanks again for your help and advice.
I right-click on Outlook 2007 on my start menu and click properties.
I don't get 'Show profiles'. I get General, shortcut, compatibility, security, details, previous versions.
None of these have a Profile details .

As you will have noticed, i am also communicating with Brian on the outlook site but no getting anywhere with that either. As I said to him. I have a vista PC with outlook 2007 working perfectly. All I want to do is get it on to my new Windows 7 PC and for it to show and work in exactly the same way. I find it amazing that such a simple request seems virtually impossible and is preventing me from migrating to the new PC.

Jeremy

Posted 8 years ago

Narf

Jeremy,

Sounds like your right clicking on outlook from the recently used programs. There should be another outlook at the top just under IE. That is the one to right click on. (The one above the grey bar) If it isn't there locate Outlook in your menu system right click on it and select 'Pin to start menu' that will put it there.

Narf

Posted 8 years ago

Narf

This is the one to right click on!

Posted 8 years ago

jeremydup

This is where I am clicking

this is what i see

thanks again

jeremy

Posted 8 years ago

jeremydup

I have finally resolved this by repeating the advice many times in a different order each and suddenly I got all my contacts. I lost all my Account settings though, but at least I could enter them manually.

I can't advise anyone else how to resolve this because I don't know what I eventually did.

The only advice i can give is NOT to use Windows Easy Transfer.

Thanks to Narf for all the advice

Jeremy

Accepted Answer · Posted 8 years ago

Narf

I'm glad that you got it running! Headaches like that can be a real pain. I don't care for WET. I perfer to transfer things the old way, copy to an external and then copy to the new system. At least your up and running.

Narf

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.