The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - One CD-ROM listed as multiple drives

(6 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by JackBauer24
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 1478 times

JackBauer24

Okay, I just had this problem appear over the last day or two. All of a sudden, my built-in CD-ROM and DVD-ROM drives are showing up as more than one drive. In other words, the CD-ROM is listed as both the e:/ and g:/ drives. The DVD-ROM is h:/ and f:/. Now when I try to put in a CD (to copy into iTunes, in this case), it accesses the same CD twice and really slows everything down. Is there any way to fix this? I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff. What little information I was able to find on this suggested to check through regedt32.exe, but when I got to the MOUNTED DEVICES section, the G and H drives aren't even listed. Help me, Geeky-wan Kenobi. You're my only hope!

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

JackBauer24, hello. Let's have a look in Disk Management to see which drives are recognized. Go to Start -> Run and enter "diskmgmt.msc" to launch Disk Management. In the drive map at the bottom, each optical drive should have a "CD-ROM #" designation where # is a sequential number. Right-click on this CD-ROM box (left side) for each optical device then select Properties. This will show the Device Properties (which you could also view from Device Manager). The device properties will show the device name and the location. Then we can see if both drives are really the same and in the same location, which shouldn't happen.

Posted 9 years ago

JackBauer24

Hmm...I have NOTHING listed in Disk Management. No drives at all.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

That's odd. There may be a service that isn't running if disk management shows no drives.

Let's have a look in System Information. Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information. When the window comes up, expand "Components" and select CD-ROM to view optical drives. Expand "Storage" and select Drives to see volume letter assignments.

Also, did you check Device Manager?

Posted 9 years ago

JackBauer24

The situation seems to have resolved itself. Over the weekend, I discovered that there was a rather vicious virus hidden in my system32 folder. With the newest update to SpySweeper, I was able to get rid of it last night. Or so it seems. This morning, when I returned to the computer, the "ghost" drive volumes were gone. I'll have to check later tonight when I run another sweep, but that seems to have resolved my problem.

Thanks for your help, though. I know where to come the next time I have a computer problem! :D

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Well, I'm glad that's over! :-)

But, how vicious is a virus that hides your optical drives? Ooh, scary.

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.