The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

HOW TO: Official Tutorial Request, POST HERE

(52 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by milnerw
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 11073 times

milnerw

Please use this thread, and this thread only to request a tutorial. This will help us keep our tutorial section clean and uncluttered. Just reply to this post with all of your information pertaining to the tutorial you would like to see.

Example info:
Operating System - Only if you are asking for something OS specific (i.e. Vista, XP, 98SE)
Name of the program you are asking for - Plus download location if it is not a popular program
What you are looking for in the tutorial
Any other info you think might help us help you

Example request:
I am using Windows Vista. I would like to know how to split a video into multiple sections using Windows Movie Maker

Posted 8 years ago

cas34

Feel free to delete this. I am not sure if you are intending on collecting a database of tutorials. If so I think doing a tutorial on how to tweak Vista would be a good one. Just a suggestion, so feel free to do what you wish :)

Posted 8 years ago

ian2

I do not have Vista and I am trying to help my father change his screensaver to the windows digital clock ,the one that bounces around the screen..We are in different cities and trying to tell him how to do it over the phone is not working...He is not good with computers and needs something visual.
It would be great if someone could make a quick video showing all the steps so that I can just send him a link to here.

Hope someone can help .

Thankyou very much.......

Posted 8 years ago

Scott

Right click on Desktop,

click on Screen Saver

click on 3D from the dropdown menu

Choose 'Time' and any other relevant personal setting and click OK, OK when you're done

Posted 8 years ago

Scott

#1 is 'right click on Desktop and choose Personalization'

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Ian, there is also the option to have a video (any video) as screensaver. See this for details. It does, however, require a graphics capability of Nvidea 6150SE or higher. Nvidea 6150LE or ATI 3100 does not work.

Posted 8 years ago

ian2

scott, thanks he will be good to go now

Whs, thankyou, however he just wants his clock back..

Posted 8 years ago

szaemon

This is a very basic request, if the information is already here please point me in the right direction. I would like to know how to make to computers connect through a router. I have never done any kind of networking before and I'm not sure exactly what information I need or where to find it in my computer.

I have 2 computers running Ubuntu 9.04, a router: RT-200NE, and an ADSL Modem: GE-PON <M>A GE-PON-ONU<1><2>. Both of my computers have LAN cables connected to the router. And they both connect to the internet. This should be a very simple task, I just don't know where to start. The information I keep finding seems to be explaining more advanced aspects of networking or how to trouble shoot, assume people already know the basics.

Thanks in advance for any help that is offered.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Your router should have come with a wizard to set it up. But if you have both systems connected with an ethernet cable, it may work without much setup , because it will work like a switch (which you could have gotten instead for $20). Just connect the router to the modem and see what happens.

Posted 8 years ago

szaemon

Thank You whs.

They are both connected to the router and independently access the internet. They have been running separately for quite some time now(a few years). I have been thinking about learning how to network them together since I got them, but procrastination in mt demon....

Ill look for the router installation disk and see if that has the instruction... in English.

Posted 8 years ago

szaemon

I checked for the installation disk and unfortunately, I don't seem to have it. Yet I'm not sure it would have helped me much, as I recall it was all in Japanese.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Hmm, that is tough. I looked on the web and there is really very little for your router in English. I have 2 excellent tutorials on how to set up a router, but those are in German. I suppose they don't help you either.
But from what you say it sounds like you are using the router as a switch already. And the "networking" part you are talking about is really wanting to share files from one system to the other. If that is the case, that may be possible without going into any router details.

Posted 8 years ago

szaemon

Thanks! That sounds promising. Both computers are connected to the same router, so it seems to me they should be able to access eachother through it just like they access the Web. I basically want each computer to be able to access each others hard drive as if it were there own. ie. Programs and files completely accessible to each other.

Is that an uncommon function? Or difficult to set up?

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

szaemon,
Seek Help Under [ File Sharing AND Printer Sharing ] Subjects.
http://www.google.com/search?h.....outer+file
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Here are another few tutorials that might help

http://www.vistax64.com/tutori.....vista.html
http://www.vistax64.com/tutori.....n-off.html

But programs is another matter. You cannot run a program that is installed on PC-A from PC-B. At least I would not know how to do that. There is a lot more to a program installation than just the program file (register, etc.).

Posted 8 years ago

szaemon

Thanks Rick,

I'll check it out now.

Posted 8 years ago

szaemon

Thanks whs,

I'm still searching through the material. Honestly I was under the impression that this was rather simple to do these days. So far this seems to pretty complicated and made more so by all the computer jargon. Does any explain this stuff in basic English? As far as I know, a server brings me coffee and client pays me for work....

Posted 8 years ago

whs

LOL - this is basic English. Try the same in German or French (like I sometimes have to do). But most trades have their specialized language - I am sure that is the same in your trade too. After all, a computer is not an appliance. Given time, you will get used to it.

Posted 8 years ago

szaemon

Well, now that I think of it. I guess it wasn't such a basic question after all. If I ever figure out how to do it< I'll write the "How To" for it.

Posted 8 years ago

szaemon

I just caught what you said whs.

"But programs is another matter. You cannot run a program that is installed on PC-A from PC-B. At least I would not know how to do that. There is a lot more to a program installation than just the program file (register, etc.). "

So even if I do figure out how to share the files between each computer, they couldn't run each each others programs? ... Bummer!... Is that an impossible feat or just a really inefficient thing to do?

Posted 8 years ago

szaemon

No luck yet. Anybody else able and willing to offer help with this?

Posted 8 years ago

szaemon

Goodness! I feel so handicapped. How about a tutorial on how to begin using computers in this day? Everything I see and read which claims itself to be geared towards "Newbies" assumes the reader knows so many things which I do not. Stopping to research every few words in a paragraph leaves me lost on the total meaning of the text.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

About running programs across system boundaries: Next time you uninstall a program, use the Revo Uninstaller. Check the "advanced" option (4th option). In the second pass of Revo you will see all the other things that it takes to run the program (which is now being uninstalled). That stuff would not be on PC-B. So how would you expect it to run.
Regarding a beginner tutorial, you may start with this one: http://www.vistalessons.com/

Posted 8 years ago

szaemon

Thanks whs, I see your point. All those "other things" that it takes to run a program are only on the one computer. I guyess what I would be looking for then might be Remote Access (a new word for my vocabulary) from a computer in one room to a computer in another. Networking, File Sharing, Remote Access...are there any other words that lets one screen,mouse and keyboard affect the hard drive in another computer?

As for the link you gave me, thanks but, Firefox Detects it as an endless loop and stops processing it. I don't thnk it would be much use anyway. The link says Vista, I use Ubuntu.

I'll keep looking....

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Ya, you are right. That link is broken. Unfortunately I cannot help you a lot with Ubuntu. I am just trying to learn it myself. There is a good book I use. It's called "Ubuntu Kung Fu" by Keir Thomas, ISBN 10 1-934356-22-0 ($34.95).
As to running a PC remotely, there are a whole selection of programs available. But again, I don't know which ones would be good for Ubuntu. Here is one that the Geek describes. But if you Google "Remote desktop for Ubuntu" you will find more.

Posted 8 years ago

whs

I just found one in "Easy Language". You may enjoy this one.

Posted 8 years ago

szaemon

Hey thanks whs! I think this is a lot of what I'm looking for, though I have a feeling in I actually want to transfer files from one computer to another I'm still going to have to set up a file share. I followed the procedure for setting it up, now I just have to learn how to access it from the other computer.

I like the bathroom humour too....

Posted 8 years ago

madmacs

@ whs, lol. I have that as a desktop background where I´m studying!!! I love it, lol!!

Posted 8 years ago

szaemon

All Right! Thank you so very much whs! That works like a charm. But, I was right about transfering files though. I still have to find out.how to do that.

Posted 8 years ago

szaemon

Well I got that remote desktop up and running, but still no luck in establishing any kind of Network or file sharing between the two. I see all kinds of programs giving me all kinds of information to use for networking, I just can't yet figure out what to do with the information. It's like a blind man looking for a needle in a haystack, but he doesn't even know what a needle actually is. Tell me I'm wrong, but I think this deffinately needs a "How To".

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Remind me again. What operating systems are installed on the two systems? Vista, Ubuntu, XP ???

Posted 8 years ago

szaemon

Eureka! I got it! The 2 systems are Ubuntu. I went through a couple help sites with this query and someone in the Ubuntu forums clued me in to a program called openssh and other gave me advice on how to use it. Many people were talking about a program called samba, saying it was easy to setup and configure, Well. I guess how easy something is or isn't depends on one's own experience. Samba was not easy for me to work with. But openssh was very simple. I said if I ever got this figured out I would write the How To for it. I don't know that it will be needed by anyone or even adopted by this site but here it is:

How To Set Up a Home Network on Ubuntu 9.04 Through Your Router Using Openssh-Server and Openssh-Client:

This is just the most basic requirements for establishing and using a Home Network Connection, giving all computers equal access to each other. If you need security within your own household this How To does not cover it. If anyone else wants to improve on this How To with correction of any mistakes they find, with more detail or by widening the scope, please feel free to do so. I only ask that you do not lessen the detail in it. I am both ignorant of computers and slightly scared of using them. This is the kind of detailed How To I would like to find when I go searching for a means of doing anything with my systems. I wrote this for the benefit of any other eternal noobs like myself out there.

Chose any one machine to start with and repeat these steps on all machines.

1) Male sure that all Machines are connected to the router and have properly functioning Internet Access.
2) Navigate to System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager and click to start it.
3) In the Quick Search Box type in openssh. Look through the list below the to find and download BOTH openssh-server and openssh-client.
4) When they have finished installing close Synaptic.

You need just 2 pieces of information now. You need the user name of the account you will be logging into on the other computer and that computers I.P. Address. The user name is the what you log on with when you are sitting at that computer. The I.P. Address of that computer can be found by going to that computer's desktop and using the Network Manager. Network Manager is the double computer icon at the top of the screen, just right of the center.
.........1) Right click on Network Manager
.........2) Open Connection Information and there is your I.P. Address around the middle of the page.

Now to continue...
5) Navigate to Places>Connect to Server... click to open
6) In the box that pops up you must chose the Server Type. In that drop down box chose ssh.
7) The next box you need to worry about is labeled Server: Here you type the user name, the "@" mark and the I.P. Address of the computer you will be logging into. It will look something like this: John@194.286.1.65. That's all you need. The other boxes are options, if you know the information and you want to make use of it fine. If not, don't worry about them. Adding a bookmar is useful but not necessary.
8) Click connect. If the user account on the other computer you are trying to access has a pass word, you will be prompted to enter password.

Now you're in and you have complete access to that other computer. Enjpy.

Posted 8 years ago

urchin

Request for tutorial on Windows XP Registry, what is it for? how can it be used? and how to use registry editor .

Posted 8 years ago

Modgod

REQ: I would like to request a tutorial showing how to install a Virtual Machine with the VM running Dos and Win XP.

I would like to install Dos to play older games and I would like to install XP so I can test software that may be infected with a virus or malware.
If I understand correctly, if I install an infected program in a VM, when I close the VM it all just goes away.

Thanks
mod

Posted 7 years ago

whs

Maybe this thread helps. And do not get confused by the Windows7 title. You can, of course, install any operating system the same way.

Posted 7 years ago

Geo

I am using Windows Vista, and have been struggling to figure how routers work. I have found this great tutorial, but he doesn't talk about one last i am interested in. Port forwarding. No i am not quite sure what exactly it does or how it helps but that's why i would like a tutorial about it!

So I would love a quick tutorial on port forwarding. Currently i have a Linksys router, and was wondering how exactly it's done and what the advantages are of using it.

Thanks guys!

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

Geo,
---
Here you go for Linksys Routers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWPUdW1kIJA
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....re=related
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 7 years ago

davidoe

I am having trouble with vmware and cant find the solution anywhere i look. The thing is that i have windows 7 pro(Host) and installed vmware with Ubuntu 9.10(Virtual machine) and i have set up a site on the Ubuntu install and i can access it from the host system but i can't seem to find a way to access the site remotely from the internet. It just wont show up when i type its address in firefox from enywhere except the host machine. If some one knows how that is done and would be willing to share that information i would be thrilled.

Thx
David

Posted 7 years ago

ProstheticHead

David, you will have more success if you create a new topic for your question :-)

I'd guess you need to forward some ports through your firewalls (Ubuntu, Router & maybe even Win7?) Also, many ISPs BLOCK the ports required to host a website. Best call them to verify.

Posted 7 years ago

sheshadriji

Hi,
Am a regular user of windows .operating system. Am interested in linux os. i loaded LinuxMint 5 as suggestion for beginners. but am unable to understand how to use it and download the needed softwares/browsers just like i do in window's xp . but by now mint 5 has come out with mint 8 version . any step by step tutorials for mint 5 users . pl help .
also tutorial for windows xp ,as am new to computers ! .
Can both os be opened and operated simultaneosly instead of exiting and opening linux seperately . pl guide me sir
regards, sheshadri

Posted 7 years ago

vistamike

Hi sheshadriji, better to start as a new topic for a quicker response. In the meantime I will post some links when I find them.

Mike

Posted 7 years ago

vistamike

vistual

Firefox:
( Name of the program you are asking for - Plus download location if it is not a popular program ) ......
Add-ons : DownThemAll & FlashGot

(What you are looking for in the tutorial)
was hoping to see a tutorial on the set-up and use of these add-ons and a comparison of the two that show differences in
usability (ease-of-use), versatility (feature rich), conversion abilities ?, etc.,etc...

(Any other info you think might help us help you)
currently experimenting with DownloadHelper (homepage)

would also be great to see some mention about the impact on resources (ram/cpu usage)

thanks

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

How to use videos found here, http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/fr.....wnload.htm

Posted 6 years ago

TonyTheTiger

Hello HTG. I enjoyed the recent (and on-going ?) tutorial on Photoshop. I was hoping someone could run a (series of) tutorials on intermediate networking - specifically directed at Verizon FioS, but routers in general would be fine. I'm sure I'm not the only reader using their service/rooter who would like to understand what I see "under-the-hood". I understand some of the basics, but not all of the functions. For instance, (in my case at least) the DHCP Server assigns the local IP Address to specific MAC Addresses. But does it assign Subnet Masks, too. Or is there only one. And how is this different from a DHCP Relay? Why are there bother Primary and Secondary DNS Servers? When do I want a static address vs. a dynamic one and why is there an expiration time at all. QoS? DMZ? SIP ALG? Multicast IGMP Filtering?
Most routers give a little blurb for a field or setting. Sometimes nothing but a numeric range. But things are never actually explained. Everyone just uses the defaults and hopes it works. I've used routers by Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, Cisco, Belkin, and this one from Verizon FioS. I would love something more like a paragraph or two on these features.
As an aside, (though the above rant was prompted by it), my wireless connection mysteriously stopped working today after a year with out problems. it took 3 1/2 hours of poking around with all the standard power checking, rebooting, SSID and Encryption checking, retyping of passwords - both by keyboard and cut/paste, driver checking, etc. Finally I changed the password from my nice randomly generated 64 character WPA2 password to "TESTWIFI" and then back again to the previous 64 characters. That's it. It shouldn't have worked or even mattered. It's fixed but not solved. So, HTG... Why?
Thanks in advance.
Michael

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

They DO have an interesting Support Methodology.

http://twitter.com/verizonsupport

Subscribe
http://twitter.com/statuses/us.....435412.rss

Posted 6 years ago

LH

Michael hi. Can you please post your question in a new topic. Thankyou.

Posted 6 years ago

isakavkaz

Please someone can help me figure out hot to use Ave's windows style builder im very new to this so please detailed :)

Posted 6 years ago

vistamike

isakavkaz hi, can you please repost in the appropriate forum please ie Vista or Win 7

Mike

Posted 6 years ago

smithy1294

can you please post how to install windows xp or vista on a CLEAN sata II

Posted 6 years ago

vistamike

smithy1294 please start a new topic in xp.
And be more explicit so we can help.

This one is now closed

Mike

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.