How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - No OS disk will run!!! Help

(34 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by JamesTKirk
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 1947 times

JamesTKirk

Hey cybertechs,

At first, it was the DVD drive, which became "disabled". I thought maybe my OS disks were scratched.
ALL of my OS disks won't run!!!!!!!!!
They will not boot. They boot Into a partial boot or almost boot, but a full install cannot be completed, let alone barely even started!!!
I do not understand what is going on.
I have replaced the DVD drive.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

What O/S was on your system before attempting an install?
What O/S are you attempting to install?
Need more info on system.

Posted 4 years ago

Marksheet

Captain Kirk,

germ-x is right, we need the full system specs and the recent history that led to this problem. By the way, ANOTHER boot problem ???!! Is it the Compaq laptop or the Dell One ?? Awaiting your reply..

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

Hey Kirk, were into the next generation now. Forget the XP. My opinion.

Posted 4 years ago

G41M

Captain, Desktop or laptop? If it is a desktop, try another data cable.

Posted 4 years ago

JamesTKirk

Hello. Good to see you!

Compaq Evo N610C [HP]: Laptop

I was running XP. I am trying to install XP. Failing that, or to use as a method to be able to install XP afterwards, I have also tried other OS's.
The drive is currently formatted.

So here's what happened:

I put all of my OS disk in a stack. This stack got jostled around alot in the whole month long struggle for OS installation. I think they got scratched. This is my only conjecture.

As you know my DVD Drive has been disabled, and does not detect CDs. I got a new DVD drive. I seated it in the Compaq. Now I can "see" disks when I put them in the drive!!!

However, I seem to be having a whole noah's arc boat load of problems here, one problem after another, because, even though my previous DVD Drive went out and was replaced, it seems that now ALL of my OS disks do not work now. And when I say ALL, I mean ALL. And how do you know this, you ask? Because I have double tested ALL of them to make sure that it was not just a fluke or the probability of pure chance or bad luck.

Here are all of the OS disks that I have tested. When I refer to a number beside an OS CD, this indicates that I have another duplicate of this disk. #3 means that I have 3 disks of this same CD. The number after the OS is the number of times that I have tested the OS by rebooting/turning off.

TESTED:

Puppy 8 Boots [Partial]
Knoppex #1 7 Boots [Almost]
Knoppex #2 8 Boots
Fedora 7 Boots [Partial]
XP sp2 #1 7 Boots [Almost]
XP sp2 #2 6 Boots
XP sp2 #3 7 Boots
XP sp2 #4 1 Boot [Almost]
Mint 6 Boots [Partial]

Captain Kirk

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x

Why don't you copy one of those CD's on the hdd of the computer your using to post your problem. Then burn it to a new Cd.
If you can copy to the hdd without an error you should be able to burn and boot without problems

Posted 4 years ago

JamesTKirk

germ-x,
Hey Bro!

I did that. I burned another copy. It ALSO does not work. But you want to know something strange?
I thought my disks were scratched, but then I looked at the error messages:

Puppy: Splash screen. Enter or puppy pfix=ram. Kernal panic. List of input covering entire screen. Probability: every time.
Knoppex: Splash screen. Enter, and loads. "Loading Kernal". Wait 2 hours. Nothing. Probability: Sometimes; Otherwise doesn't get this far.
XP sp2 #1: Start Install. Then fail. Error Code*. Probability: every time.
XP sp2 #2: "Invalid System Disk."; "Non System Disk or Disk Error". Probability: every time.
XP sp2 #3: "Invalid System Disk."; "Non System Disk or Disk Error". Probability: every time.
XP sp2 #4: Start Install. Then fail. Error Code*. Probability: every time.
Fedora: Don't press any key; loads quickly with 1/2 splash screen. Then black screen. Probability: every time.
Mint: Splash screen. Enter, and loads. Wait 5 minutes. Nothing. Probability: Sometimes; Otherwise doesn't get this far.

*Error Codes: [Only for XP sp2 OS Disk]
XP sp2 #1:
Error Code 4 Probability: 2 in 8 boots
Unexpected Error Line 1773 Probability: 2 in 8 boots
Error Code 7 Probability: 1 in 8 boots
Error Code 14 Probability: 1 in 8 boots

XP sp2 #4:
Error Code 4 Probability: 1 in 1 boot

Error Codes: Definition:

Unexpected Error Line 1773 None
Error Code 4 The system cannot open the file
Error Code 7 The storage control blocks were destroyed
Error Code 14 Not enough storage is available to complete this operation

Captain Kirk

Posted 4 years ago

Marksheet

Captain Kirk,

Swap the hard drive from the dell to the Compaq, then see if the disks boot up (Don't go into installing the OS, just boot up from the CD), If it works fine, then there's no problem with the DVD drive... It's the fault of the Compaq hard drive..

Posted 4 years ago

owen123

Why not try installing it via USB

Posted 4 years ago

JamesTKirk

Marksheet,
Hey bro, good to hear from you!

Wow, that's a great idea. I didn't think of that. Excellent Diagnostic technique!!!!!
I have replaced the DVD drive. Now I will test with both DVD drives. Thank you.
Yes, as two different model computers, an install will be useless. However, diagnostic...

owen123,
Excellent idea owen123; however, I have already tried this several times and failed.
This is when I found out that the older Bios in my system does not support USB boot --
Imagine that.

Unless you know how to successfully conifigure the program called "Plop"....

Captain Kirk

Posted 4 years ago

JamesTKirk

Marksheet,
Hey Bro! Great to see you!!

My gosh man, you are a miracle worker. My God, you are cool. You just gave me an idea that is so amazing.

Situation:
Both my computers were down for the count, had no OS's, and nothing could be installed on them, nor recovery CD's would help.

You may only have a meager 40 posts, and some people think if you have a lot of posts, that your knowledge or good or something, but you have given me an idea better than people with 10,000 posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because of your idea, I have been able to fix one of my computers. [Now why didn't I think of that before. Thanks for your response bro!!!] But not fully, but this does not matter at the moment, as I have many more options open to me know. Now I have a much better chance of fixing them completely.

Laptop #1 [C#1]: Deleted Partition. Unallocated Space. No Partition Table.
Laptop #2 [C#2]: Formatted hd. No OS will install. No CD will run. Except DOS 7.1

I installed DOS 7.1, but do not know how to configure it correctly on the options that you select during the install process, and so I could not get it to run, or a Dos Prompt upon reboot.

QUESTION
Do you know how to configure Dos 7.1 so that it will run? And get a Dos Prompt?

DIAGNOSTIC TEST
I switched the C#2's hd into C#1 and it installed Windows without any problems. I have also ran a check disk on the hd and have returned with no errors or bad sectors. So the hd appears to function fine.

And by the way, if I didn't thank you, I just want to say --
Thank you very much!!!

What now, any ideas?

Captain Kirk

Posted 4 years ago

Marksheet

Captain Kirk,

Are you REALLY thanking me ?? The words above seems ironical !!

I'm assuming C#1 - Compaq and C#2 - Dell
Anyway, since you ended up blowing both your hard drive (I remember I told you NOT to install the OS on the C#2 Hard Drive... As a result, you'll have to install the C#2 hard drive into the C#2 laptop... Then re-install the OS in order to get it running).

BTW, I didn't understand one thing. You said you installed windows on C#2 hard drive. My question is, did you use your NEW DVD-drive to install windows on the hard disk ?? If it installed fine, then there's no problem with the NEW DVD-drive. The Compaq's HDD is the culprit. I need more clarification on this matter.

Regarding Installation of DOS, check out this video.

Posted 4 years ago

JamesTKirk

Marksheet,
Hey bro.

I was NOT being sarcastic.
I was truely authentic. I sincerely appreciate the advice that you gave me.
The advice helped to give me a bright idea that I had not thought of:
The result was that it raised my computer from the dead.

Both my computers are Laptops
Both of my computers had crashed.
C#1: Dell
C#2: Compaq

C#1 was revived from a crash by switching the hd's:
I installed Windows. It is now up a running, a okay.
However, it is not fully restored until it has its "original" hd back
because of the deleted partition situation. Reason: ability to recover.
Running C#2's hd.

C#2 has the NEW dvd drive. It is now running C#1's hd.

Unable to test the Dvd drive because it is not compatible/fit with the other model computer [boy, this is why I really like desktops better!!!]. The hd appears fine, no problems [Windows installed]

Yes, I wasn't going to install Windows, but what do you think is better -- having TWO crashed computers, or at least one up and running to work with?

I just want to be clear, and don't want you to get confused:
Thank you for the idea that you gave me.
I appreciate the advice that you gave me -- it helped.

Captain Kirk

Posted 4 years ago

Marksheet

Captain Kirk,

Okay Okay... I failed to understand it.. My bad !! And thank you for your appreciation **collars up**... You are right, having one computer up and running is better than having two dead computers (I had missed the part that BOTH the computers were dead)..

Okay So C#1 is running fine (I assume you are running DOS on that ??) Did you check out the video I had posted above ??
Regarding Restoring the C#1's hard drive, you can try out these steps.

1. Remove the C#2's HDD from C#1. DON'T DO ANYTHING WITH THE C#2 HDD NOW...
2. Install C#1's HD into C#1
3. Download Gparted Live CD from here and burn the .iso image onto a CD
4. Boot Up with the Live CD.
5. Create the partition, this will fix the "Deleted Partition Table" issue...

Waiting to hear more from you... All the best !!

Posted 4 years ago

JamesTKirk

HOWTOGEEK [NO OS...]
Marksheet,
Hey Bro!

Okay, I can see how you may have been confused. Lets stick with the model name instead then. Dell C#1/////Compaq C#2

Okay, so I ran the video, and even the guy who knew what he was doing ran into a "invalid system disk" error in the beginning!! Anyways, looks like he went with a full install for the Dos 7.1
But I thought that this required 2 disk, as the options appeared to indicate.

I didn't want you to think that I abandoned you. I have ran 2 7 hour recovery disk attempts, both of which have failed -- with a diiferent program. The one that you gave me said: "Warning, data loss can happen, please back up your data just in case". So that is what I am in the process of doing. I will back up the info, and then attempt the "recover". I am currently in the middle of a third 7 hour recovery data attempt -- this time with a better program. I didn't like the last one, AND it was not able to detect my data after 2 tries on a "Full Advanced Scan", the most complete scan that you can do. Instead of a "Quick scan".

On the other program, when you exited it, it deleted your 7 hour attempt!! How outrageous. A second recovery program was able to detect my USB flashdrives, but not my second hd...
Now I on the third recovery program. When I get the final results of your advice, I will keep you updated.

Captain Kirk

Posted 4 years ago

JamesTKirk

Marksheet,

I just finished 4 7 hour runs with 2 recovery programs.

Okay, I did what you said. I now have a partition table. And an actual partition now instead of unallocated space. I selected the hd so that it was highlighted. Now selected the "Attempt Recovery". This returned the error message:
"Failed creating read-only view. An error occurred while creating the read only view. Either the file system can not be mounted (like swap), or there are inconsistancies or errors in the file system."
I tried this selection 2 times with the same results.

But the funniest thing happened. Now when I boot the Dell, the computer boots as normal into the beginning Plop program [non functional]. However, when I boot from hd, I still get the error message:
"NTLDR is missing press CTRL + ALT + DEL to restart"

So what should I do now?

Captain Kirk

Posted 4 years ago

Marksheet

Captain Kirk,

Are the CDs loading up fine ?? If it does, the best thing to do is to perform a clean install of Windows. This NTLDR stuff is very irritating and difficult to remove.. So, a clean install is a best option... what'd you say ?? Since you have the partition table.. the OS disks should load up just fine, and so a clean install should be no problem... awaiting your reply.

For more details on the NTDLR stuff, check out this article.

Posted 4 years ago

JamesTKirk

Hello Marksheet,

2 Recovery programs could not detect any files to recover, so what I'm wondering is if when I deleted the partition in the XP setup process, that this may have wiped the partition insead of just formatting it.

Example: I put XP in and the blue setup screen came up. When it says what partition that you want to setup Windows on, it also gives the option to "Delete Partition". So this is what I did, by mistake; I "Deleted Partition".

Gparted Recovery attempt could not find anything either: this makes 3 recovery programs that were able to find any files, except 1: system information, a hidden file, or dll.

I then thought that maybe these programs weren't working because I had the deleted partition hd as a secondary drive that was attached via USB. So then I tried what you said, I reinserted the Dell hd [Deleted part] and reinstalled windows. Then I ran the recovery program, and it found some 44 partitions -- the most that I've ever seen on a drive. Then again I've never really used it and only check it on a flashdrive that had 6.

On the side, it says "files" and "folders" found. Then there is a numbe indicated. All down this list of partitions, the numbers range from 0-3 folders found, and have 0 files found for all of them. There are, however, 2 exceptions:
1> 1354 files found, 484 folders
2> 394 files, 0 folders

But these two partitions seem to be the current files that are on the hd now from the Windows installation.

QUESTION
Is the windows "Delete Partition" a wipe or killdisk that permanently deletes data, or is it a format instead?

Captain Kirk

Posted 4 years ago

Marksheet

Captain Kirk,

The delete partition erases the partition, and removes the entry from the partition file table... In simple words, it unallocates the space. The unallocated space consists of no data... just unused, RAW space, it's the job of the user to format it to the desired file system (NTFS, FAT etc.). So, yes the data will be wiped anyway.

My recommendation is to do away with the recovery programs, and do a CLEEEAAANNNN install of windows on both the machines... It'll solve ALL the problems and the machines will run like new !!

Posted 4 years ago

Hermitt

Excellent advice, Marksheet. JamesTKirk would be wise to follow your advice.

Jim

Posted 4 years ago

Marksheet

Thanks for the compliment Jim...

Posted 4 years ago

Hermitt

You're more than welcome. :)

Jim

Posted 4 years ago

JamesTKirk

Marksheet,
I know that when you create a new partiton, that it "formats", but I didn't think that it would WIPE it instead. The XP delete/create partition seems to be different from the normal create partition with other programs.

Anyways, since all my data has been completely wiped, this is what I have now, a clean install of Windows -- on the Dell. The Dell is fixed. I was NOT able to recovery "any" of my lost data on it.

But for the Compaq, I have run a Killdisk.
What happens if you have no RAM, does this mean that you can't install ANY programs?

Captain Kirk

Posted 4 years ago

Xhi

What happens if you have no RAM, does this mean that you can't install ANY programs?

Yes.

Posted 4 years ago

Marksheet

Captain Kirk,

If you have no RAM, the system will not boot only... Forget about installing programs !! The OS needs the RAM for loading itself up, so if you have no RAM... Your machine is virtually dead..

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Come on, we covered 'no RAM' 4 days ago...

https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/does-format-erase-the-mbr?replies=18

See LH's response to you...

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Tis time to close many posts....

@ Captain James T Kirk (T for Troublesome)
USS Enterprise (NCC-1701)

The crystal is running out of power and so is the forum.

Incoming message; from the crew;
Spock; Get rid of him, it is logical, because we're not going anywhere
Uhura; Captain, I am getting no response on all sub space frequencies
Scotty: Captain, I've giv'n her all she's got captain, an' I canna give her no more.
Sulu; Can you give us a status report, Captain? Temperature's still dropping. Now 41 degrees below zero.
Bones; What if they went nowhere?
Lighthouse (offshore); Trouble with Tribbles?...scanner beams working

Mr Sulu, Spock and our dear friend Scotty have now control and quite rightly so;

All power to forward shields. Prepare to fire all weapons!

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

There was much rejoicing.

Posted 4 years ago

Marksheet

Finally !! This topic is SOLVED !! **Phew**.

@Moderator
I didn't understand one thing... Does 30 days in the brig means 30-day ban ??

Posted 4 years ago

Lighthouse

Yes.

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

In normal cases a 30 day HTG ban is insignificant, it is a 'slight' warning to show that we disapprove regarding a certain post.
In more severe cases, you could be sent to the HTG dungeon for 30 days. Now this is not nice at all, no food, no love, no smoking nor beverages in the range 0% to 50%.

30 days in the HTG brig as opposed to our fully fitted / kitted dungeon is pretty well known and is scary to say the least.

However, the brig in this case is on a Klingon ship and is not contemporary with the Enterprise.

Due to the current economic climate, we outsourced the brig facility and the Klingons came up with the best price.

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

Lighthouse

"fully fitted / kitted dungeon" ? what you on ?

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Same as you, just slightly cheaper in the UK at the moment.......

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.