The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - No Audio

(22 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by jocaan
  • Latest reply from jocaan
  • Topic Viewed 6906 times

jocaan

I have a Gigabyte P55A-UD4P motherboard with Realtek HD Audio Manager with Windows 7 Professional. You can do a "Check Audio System" in Realtek Audio Manager which, when I do I get a test sound on each of my speakers. However in any other way the audio will not play. Most importantly when I go to a website or a newsletter website that has a video clip the video plays but there is no audio. I make sure the speaker is on and the volume is high on each volume icon of the video clip screen but still there is no sound. I think I need someone who is an expert with this motherboard's sound system, with internet video and audio, but also with the Registry. Oddly I tried to install an old game Candyland for a child to play. The game would not install because it is too old but the introductory audio to the game did play before the incompatible error message came up.
Also I know there is not a speaker problem because I put in another hard drive to test where the problem was and the audio played without any flaws.
Frank C.

Posted 5 years ago

Xhi

Please try to do a system Restore to a date prior to when the problem began. No personal data will be disturbed by this process.
System Restore

If you want to do a system restore...

XP: Go to Start->Help and Support. Under Pick a Task click on "Undo changes to your computer with System Restore". Make sure there is a dot in "Restore my computer to an earlier time". Then click Next. Choose a date with a bold number that is before you did what you did. Then click next. Read and click Next again.

Vista , Win 7: There are two places that you can use the system restore feature from. From within Windows, you can just type restore into the Start menu search box, and you'll immediately see System Restore at the top of the start menu or you can type rstrui into the search box and hit enter. Your choice.

Watch it do it.

Posted 5 years ago

jocaan

This problem is about 8 months old. The system restore point is long gone.
Frank C.

Posted 5 years ago

ronniesonora

jocaan, you might try using "last known good configuration" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

Posted 5 years ago

rdunseith

Are you using the HDMI port on your video card?
Edit: What version is your motherboard? Bios Version? Have you updated the driver to the latest?

Posted 5 years ago

Xhi

Have you checked tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced Tab -> Under Multimedia insure Play Sounds on Web pages is Checked.

Posted 5 years ago

rdunseith

@Xhi
Good one. I had forgot about that option.

Posted 5 years ago

jocaan

I went to the "Last good configurations" page in the post. It looks like the page only refers to XP. But I don't think that is the main problem. As I said before this mishap started long ago, way past any "last good configuration" tactic would have a chance of working.
All my drivers and Bios updates are current.
Xhi, I like your suggestion. Tried it. "Insure Play Sounds on Web pages" was checked but I unchecked it, re-checked it and hit Apply. I even restarted the computer to try to see if a restart after clicking on "Apply" would help in some sort of reset. It did not.
Also the Microsoft 'Welcome' sound that comes on when you get ready to go to the desktop at Startup does not work. I'm wondering if there is a 'check' somewhere for this and if this might be an interferring factor for the sound not comming on.
Frank C.

Posted 5 years ago

rdunseith

Go to Control Panel-->Sound-->Playback Tab, check to make sure Realtek HD audio is the default device. Highlight it then hit the properties button.
Select the Advanced tab at the top right and tellme what your settings are.

Posted 5 years ago

jocaan

On the Playback Tab are 4 items:
1.ATI HDMI Output (ATI High Definition Audio Device)
2.Speakers
3.Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
4.Realtek Digital Output (Optical)
Speakers was the only one checked.
I selected the third one, Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio) and made it the Default.
I then went to the Properties>Advanced Tab.
On the Advanced tab there is a drop down list with 8 items listed as 2 channel -24 bit and 1 item listed as Dolby Digital Live (5.1 Surround). I chose Dolby Digital Live from the drop down list. When I seleted the Test button a pop-up message indicates: "Failed to play test tone." I then noticed I had not selected the "Apply" button before I played the test tone but once I clicked on the "Apply" button for the Dolby Digital Live (5.1 Surround) I got this message: "Format not supported by the device."
There are two other items in this Advanced box under the heading Exclusive Mode: 1.Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device, and 2.Give exclusive mode applications priority.
Both of these items are checked in the boxes that proceed them.
I went back to my Realtek Audio Manager in Control Panel. All speakers give a musical sound and play when I test them this way.
Hope you can help. This looks like the way to solve the problem.
Earlier I had closed out of this Sounds window temporarily after I had change the selection to 'Dolby Digital Live' and then reopened it but got this message: "Windows has detected that audio enhancements for the following device are causing problems. Would you like to disable the Driver Enhancements for this device? I first selected 'No' but got no positive test results, then closed out reopened 'Sounds' and chose YES but there was no change in the test results this way either.
Thanks, Frank C.

Posted 5 years ago

rdunseith

First, how are you speakers connected to your pc? Analog 3.5mm jacks, optical cable, digital output (orange plug looks like a RCA jack), or using HDMI through your ati video card?

Posted 5 years ago

jocaan

For my Creative speakers I have a pink, black and green plug. The pink goes into the 2nd column top orange like input, the black goes into the middle black input and the green plug goes into the greyish looking bottom input on the picture shown.
Frank C.

Posted 5 years ago

rdunseith

Your using analog input. It won't do dolby 5.1. I'm guessing you have two speakers and a subwoofer. Change to 2.1, speakers in both realtek settings and windows setting. See what happens.

Posted 5 years ago

rdunseith

The black should go to black input a that is your subwoofer.

Posted 5 years ago

jocaan

Well, can I do Dolby 5.1? My speakers are Creative 'Inspire' 5.1 speakers - although they are fairly old now. I have a bass box shaped speaker and 5 smaller speakers around my computer. In the Realtek settings there are these four choices: 1./Stereo, 2./Quadraphonic, 3./ 5.1 Speakers, 4./ 7.1 Speakers. In the stereo setting only two speakers are shown and none of them play. In the Quadraphonic setting four speakers are shown but only two play. In the 5.1 Speaker setting six speakers are shown but only 4 speakers play. In the 7.1 Speaker setting there are eight speakers shown and all 6 of my speakers play but of course two of the speakers shown do not play.
Yes I have the black in the black input but as I mentioned my other two jacks are also in that same column, not the column to the outside where the red line is drawn. The P55A-UD4P is a fairly new motherboard-I think. Also I have never moved the jacks so the speakers have previously worked before in this exact setup and with this same hard drive and OS.
But tell me what you want me to do and I'll try it.
Thanks, Frank C.

Posted 5 years ago

jocaan

Also in the Windows settings under Control Panel>Sound, on the Playback tab out of the 4 options only Speakers work when I make it the default and go to Properties>Advanced tab. Under advanced everything plays under any of the settings with Speakers selected not Realtek High Definition Audio. However I then went to my email and went to a newsletter cooking sight and the video clips play but still there is no sound. This is consistant with any internet sight I play a video clip-the video plays but there is no sound.
Frank C.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

What is the Bios setting and what are your choices ????

Posted 5 years ago

rdunseith

Are you sure that one pink jack is not orange? I have a similiar set-up. You should have three plugs coming from your speaker. Green, orange, black.
Green will be your center, front right and front left. Orange will be your rear right and rear left. Black should be your sub. The green should go in the green input not the gray. The gray is for side speakers or 7.1.( two front and center, two side, two rear and one sub).

Accepted Answer · Posted 5 years ago

rdunseith

You should here the video after you plug the green to green. Those or your front speakers. Most videos online are in stereo meaning only the front two and center will produce sound. Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. Got a call from work and had to rush out.

Posted 5 years ago

jocaan

You are right. I cannot believe it. I have sound. After I did the arrangement in Control Panel>Sound and in Realtek Audio Manager and then went to the back of the computer and put the green jack in the middle green plug in the other column I now have sound. Amazing. The thing is, I did install the same Widnows 7 Professional on another hard disk and disconnected my problem audio hard drive and booted up with a new installed hard drive with the same OS disk. And I did have complete sound, on the internet and within Windows (in playing Solitaire) with the green jack being in the wrong slot. That is why I never fooled around with the jack plugs because the old hard disk did work previously with the same arrangement and the new hard disk OS did work with the green plug in the wrong place. One other thing. A couple of months ago to duplicate my new OS installation with another hard disk I repeated the installation of the same OS on another hard disk, a 3rd hard disk, but on this hard disk the audio did not work. So I was going around in circles for quite a while in trying to get audio.
Well, now I have audio in a way I never would have expected. When I thought about it I wondered why I did not realize the green plug should go in the green slot-but then again it did work previously in the old slot. I guess I changed the arrangement in Realted HD Audio Manager and in Control Panel>Sound and that is why it works now. But, like I said I am using 7.1 Channel and have the Control Panel>Sound on the Speakers as the default and not High Definition audio. I don't know if I somehow switch to 5.1 Channel and HD Audio Manager if I would probably still get sound.
Thanks, Frank C.

Posted 5 years ago

rdunseith

You won't get 7.1 sound as you do not have the two side speakers. Your getting a virtualized 7.1 experience. You will still get sound with 5.1 setting as you have a 5.1 setup as I do. But hey it's working! Glad I could help.

Posted 5 years ago

jocaan

Thanks again. I appreciate all your help. The picture was very helpful-an excellent touch to our postings. The picture of the back panel of the motherboard gave me guidance and comfort to see the back panel and to see the arrangement of the plugs as we sent messages.
Much appreciated.
Frank C.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.