The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - New computer won't show anything on monitor

(6 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by Unmannedperson
  • Latest reply from Unmannedperson
  • Topic Viewed 5615 times

Unmannedperson

First of all, I wish to apologize if I break any forum rules, but when I tried to visit the page I kept getting "MediaWiki internal error." followed by a long list of code.

Anyhow, so I built a new computer using custom parts off of Newegg.com, it arrived, I assembeled it, and now it will turn on, BUT won't display anything on the screen, no BIOS or anything. I am stuck in an infinite loop. In order to connect to the monitor, I have to install the gfx card drives (currently nothing is installed on the computer, not even an OS). However, to install the gfx card drivers I have to be able to have my monitor connect to my comp.

And to top it all off, my motherboard doesn't have a monitor port, so I can't connect directly to it.

My rig:

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Graphics cards: (2x) MSI N250GTS TwinFrozr 1G OC GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CPU: Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMP6GX3M3A1600C7

Power supply: COOLER MASTER GX Series RS650-ACAAE3-US 650W ATX12V v2.31 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

CD Drive: LG Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

CPU fan: COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

Case: COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

and Windows 7 (currently not installed).

Sorry for any useless information, I just wanted to be sure all my bases are covered. If you need any more info, don't hesitate to ask!

And thank you to any who can help, or at least tries to =)

Posted 8 years ago

Drizzle

Hi Unmannedperson
Welcome to HTG, sorry I cannot help with your blank problem , but am sure someone will be along shortly to assist.
To answer, your query re not being able to read the forum rules,this happened to me yesterday, and appears to be due to the recent upgrade of the HTG site,and there are still several hiccups to be ironed out Doh! I still cant get access to my Priavte E. mails LOL!!

Good luck and hope you get sorted soon.
Granny Kate

Posted 8 years ago

germ-x

@granny, I type pm in th eweb address bar after the www.howtogeek.com/forum. I can make a pm but it just sits there when I hit send.

Unmannedperson, are you getting any beeps or anything to indicate your mobo is getting power, cooling fans?
If no beeps and no other signs of life I would start looking at the PS or mobo, double check all your connectors.
Remove your Ram and power up, listen for beeps. Do you hear any?
Are all your little front panel wires connected with the correct polarity and correct terminals?

Posted 8 years ago

ispalten

Define 'infinite loop'? Is something happening or do you mean nothing is happening?

What I'd do is reduce the installed parts to the minimum for starters...

All you should need is the video card... REMOVE all other cards on the backplane and the drives (just removed power supply and cables to the drives).

Now try booting... no go, remove 2 sticks of memory and try again. No go, replace the stick with another one, no go, replace that stick with the last one. No go, probably a motherboard short (I'm assuming no PSU fans go on). If the PSU fans do not come on, then remove the video card and reboot. If the fans come on, bad card probably. If they don't, either a bad motherboard or you have forgotten to remove a post from the case and it is shorting out.

Might want to call NEWEGG, they might have a support person who can help you verify if a part is bad or not? You do not need to load display drivers to use the monitor, at least at the standard VGA resolution so it should show BIOS screens.

Also, look at the motherboard documentation, it might have troubleshooting info and should tell you what keys will get you into the BIOS, so try pressing those when you power on the system and see if it goes into the BIOS.

Irv S.

Accepted Answer · Posted 8 years ago

ProstheticHead

Hi. If system fans power up and you get a black screen and nothing else, try resetting CMOS. On most mobo's this is done by removing power from the system and removing a jumper (or placing it on another pin) for 10 seconds or so, but check your motherboard manual for exact procedure.

Posted 8 years ago

Unmannedperson

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice to this newbie! The reward goes to ispalten, since it turns out the issue was that both graphics cards were plugged in, and so the motherboard must have been receiving conflicting messages. I unplugged the power to one, turned on my computer, and BAM! there was the BIOS.

Thank you again everyone!

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.