The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Network adapter problem

(11 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by anoname
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 7735 times

anoname

I just installed Windows XP onto my Vista laptop using the guide on this site (many thanks!). I tried setting up an internet connection with Network Setup Wizard, but it doesn't work. I don't know how else to describe it; I setup my network in Wizard, restart my laptop, and my internet connection doesn't connect. I have a wired and a wireless connection, but my laptop only detects the wireless. Even if I have my laptop plugged into a wired connection, it doesn't detect the wired connection at all. And even though it detects my wireless network, it cannot connect to the internet with wireless (even after network setup wizard). It certainly is odd.

So I right clicked my 1934 Net Adapter and clicked repair, but I got this "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot Proceed." I thought that was strange, so I went into cmd prompt and typed "ipconfig". The only thing I got was:

Windows IP Configuration

That's all there was, there wasn't an IP or anything. Is it possible to not have an IP? Is that why my internet is working? Also, my internet works just fine when I'm on my Vista operating system; it doesn't work when I'm on Windows XP operating system.

Laptop: HP Pavillion dv2000, ver. 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
router: Linksys
Network: 1934 Connection Adapter

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted 9 years ago

raphoenix

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr.....ct=1817074

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

anoname, I think that your "1934" network adapter is a 1394 port, or firewire connector. This is NOT the port that you want to use for wired networking. Your wired connection should use the ethernet port and will show up in Windows as "Local Area Connection". If you have the "1394 Connection", you should disable it so the system won't be confused looking for network access on the 1394 port.

Posted 9 years ago

anoname

ScottW, you are right it's a 1394 port. However, I do have an internet cable set up in the ethernet port, but nothing shows up. It's like Windows doesn't detect the wired port at all. I tried disabling the wireless connection, too, but it doesn't seem to help. It's weird because I can connect to the internet with a wired connection when I'm using Vista, but not when I'm using Windows XP.

Suggestions...?

Posted 9 years ago

raphoenix

anoname,

The reason I put up the Link to the dv2000 CTO Machine Drivers is because I figured you may not have installed (all) the correct applicable drivers to your particular machine SKU.
The series is HP dv2000.
Please post the (EXACT) Model Number of your machine.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:)

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

anoname, first of all, check in Device Manager under Network Adapters to see that you have the hardware and drivers. You should see the 1394 Net Adapter, a wireless adapter of some kind, and a wired adapter. If you see an "X", "!", or "?" anywhere in Device Manager, let us know.

Once the hardware if confirmed working, go to Control Panel -> Network Connections and see what connections you have there. You will probably have a 1394 Connection, which I still suggest you disable. For the wireless, I would expect a "Wireless Network Connection" and for the wired, a "Local Area Connection". Check the status of these connections and report back.

Posted 9 years ago

anoname

raphoenix, sorry, I was a little confused by your first post. I'm not quite sure what my exact model number is, so I'll just post what I see.
s/n: 2CE7130C1G
p/n: RV322UA#ABA
There's something else that reads "dv2310us"
Also, there appears to be 5 different network drivers on the site you gave me, but I only have one: the 1394 Net Adapter.

ScottW, the only Network Adapter that is listed is the 1394 Net Adapter. There's also like 10 different "?" icons listed under "Other devices". The little icons look like a "?" with a small "!" in front of them. I think each "?" represents a driver.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

anoname, I see. That is a LOT of "?" icons in device manager. Each one of them is a device that does not have a proper device driver loaded. Things will never work right until you have this all sorted out.

The model number that raphoenix asked for is that dv2310us. This specifies exactly how your machine is configured. You can go to HP's website, select Support, Download Drivers, then enter the model number there. Then select Windows XP to get the drivers specific to your system. This is the page I got to using those steps:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr.....ct=3370089

Posted 9 years ago

raphoenix

anoname,

(LOL) I figured my first reply with just a link and no comment would get your attention and that my second post would get you thinking. As ScottW said, my second post was to get your model SKU.
DO exactly as ScottW advised.
Post Back as to results after you completely install (ALL) Machine Drivers.
Here is your Service Manual.
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01035657.pdf
EVERY Machine Conversion or Reconfiguration Must be CAREFULLY PRE-PLANNED.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 9 years ago

anoname

Ok, I installed the correct drivers, and I've finally connected to the internet with a wireless. Thanks a lot you guys. Also, it seems that there aren't any drivers for a wired connection on the site. Can someone help me find a driver for a wired connection?

Posted 9 years ago

raphoenix

anoname,
Have you tried the LAN Port ????
----------------------------------------
I think the machine uses the Intel PRO Network Adapter Driver (BUT AM NOT SURE).
PLEASE CALL HP Support Monday to VERIFY !!!!!!!!!!
The Driver can be found on the dv2000 CTO page (IF) this Driver is correct for your machine.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr.....ct=1817074
I do (NOT) want you to install the wrong driver on (my guess).

Kindest Regards,

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.