The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - My first build Please tell me what you think

(60 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by SkittlesTheCat2012
  • Latest reply from SkittlesTheCat2012
  • Topic Viewed 2999 times

SkittlesTheCat2012

Well i recently bought a nice laptop but cant play games on it do to the graphics card. So i decided to build me a gameing desktop. This is my first build so any feed back would help. I dont really have but $1000 after tax to spend so yeah.

CPU - Intel i5-3570k --- $189.99
Motherboard - ASROCK Z77 Extreme4 --- $84.99
Ram - Corsaie 8gb 2x4 D3 1600 DIMM CL9 --- $57.99
Hard Drive - HITACHIOE Hit 3.5 500GB 7200 SATA --- $64.99
Power Supply - OCZTECH 750W ZT FULLYMOD PSU 80BR -- Probably will change this out dont know what to get. But i know this one has bad reviews. -- $99.99
Case - Thermalta Commander MT ATX Case Black --- $47.99
Optical Drive - Samseom SAM 22x SATA DVD Burner --- $15.99
Video Card - Nvidia GTX 560 Ti 1gb PCIE DDH --- $229.99
Monitor AOC 23" LED --- $139.99

I ended up going a over my budget by $117 after tax so if you can help me cut this down a bit so its not aboue $1000. It would help but i still want something that can handle most games at high settings with out a problem. And of course im going to add some fans and a wireless card to it of course but thats cheap $10 20$ a piece.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Skittles,

Welcome to HTG.

Please post a link to your shopping website so we can compare items.

Is it newegg.com ??

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

No i went to micro center it has been years since i played pc games. So i dont know what todays newest games require to play on high and be smooth. I manly play FPS games some third person shooters as well like Hard reset or Hydrophobia. so on and so on maybe some call of dudty even though i think its been over done after MW2

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Skittles,

Ok I have the website now.

http://www.microcenter.com/index.html

Unfortunately it will be tomorrow before I can suggest some items as I to leave for the evening.

Maybe some of the others will jump in and help you out until I can get back. :)

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

Any ideas will help plaining on buying it friday but i need to lose around $50 = $100 on my build or i will have to wait like 2 weeks and im INPATIENT LOL Just need it to run any game at high setting with out lagging or well most any game

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

Quick Question how easy or hard is it to build and then set up a pc i mean i have some knowledge of putting it togeather but iu never set one up once its togeather. i know how to put OS on it and everything but is there anything else i need to do to make sure it runs good

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Skittles,

BEFORE ordering any parts for a BUILD, the FIRST thing to do is download and READ the Product Manual from the Vendor's Website. (Upper Left Hand Corner of the Page)

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overv.....20Extreme4

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

oh really helpful now that i kinda starting to understand it a bit more lol at first i was like huh. But it should be just what i need to get this thing running.
So do you think this setup will be able to run most games on high settings or is this not good enough :/

Posted 4 years ago

bobocheez

Hi Skittles, raphoenix suggested I look into your build since we have the same budget. You can check out my build here: https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/business-038-gaming-critique-my-build-038-a-few-qs?replies=4

If you want to reduce your cost, get a cheaper case. I build a PC about 5 years back and spent about $80 on the thing and that feeling of newness goes away very quickly. You could prob get rid of the DVD burners as well.

By the way, I looked on the microcenter website and it looks like the processor doesn't come with any cooling. That's a big one you don't want to overlook. If you post the links to the exact parts you're ordering maybe we can take a closer look.

Your current video card will play games that are out now just fine, but the next gen consoles (ps4, xbox720) are gonna come out in the next year or 2 so the games are going to be made with higher specs which will affect the new PC games as well. Maybe look into a 2gb card.

As far as help, I think we both are unsure of the power supply. I think I'll go with this one for my build:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6817182071

From what I've read so far, you most likely only need 500W to power your system at full capacity, unless you're planning on adding more things down the road. Take into consideration the efficiency as well, so a 600W one will probably fit your needs.

An expert opinion would be great though.

Cheers

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

650W PSU Good.

If you want to future proof, 750W would be great but is more expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6817139006

http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6817139010

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

I just noticed that the CPU does not come with a cooling fan as well. Do I really need one? Also this build only needs to last a year. And for the power supply would a 650 corsai or how ever u spell it be enough? I know u shouldnt ever use 100% of ur power. Sorry for all the question it's just that I'm going to micro center tomorrow to buy all the parts. And I just want to be certain I'm not lacking any parts to play most games on high settings. Also what's a good wireless card to buy? I will try and post links to parts when I get off work around 2:30 central time thx again for all the help

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Skittles,

YES the system MUST have a CPU Fan or cooler.

Your Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor.

http://www.microcenter.com/sin.....id=0388577

Let's get all this straighten out when you get off work. :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

Ok finally off work so im glad u managed to fine it i guess i was looking at wrong one so it turns out my cpu does come with a fan cooler yay. I was thinking and i have a old dell about 10 years or maybe less old. it has fans and opctical drive in it. could i use those in my build to save my self $30 $40 ?? its just what came with it nothing fancy its just old lol was not sure if it would work in a newer system.. Tommorrows the big day but i wont have a monitor due to funds i think i could find a old one to use in mean time thats not to bad just not 1080p or hd

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Skittles,

The old optical drive has most likely PATA (IDE) Connector that will not work with your build.

The video Card you picked is PCIe 2.0 so needs to be changed, etc......

Maybe Best since your budget is so tight that you go Mico Center in person and let sales folks help you.

What do you think ??

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

Links to the parts im go grab after work so tonight is the last night to decide LOL. As i am very impatient haha

CPU

Mother board. Note i did get a $50 discount when bundled with the CPU i5 3570k

PSU. Not sure if this is enough should be i hope. I dont plan on upgrading anything or OC

Optical drive. Like i said i have one from my old dell but not sure if it would work or not soe let me know :)

Monitor which i will buy in 2 weeks since i do have one from a dell my mom bought about 6 months ago its nothing fancy just ur standard thin monitor. But it will work till i can buy this one. :)

Video card-- M main concern. Like i said i dont know what the new games need now in order to run on high setting with no problem.

The rest of the parts are pretty much straight forward like ram 8GB and extra fan or two along with a wireless card as i wont be doing much online gameing. i prefure a good story playing in campaign not the online experiance like i used to just more about a good story to me. Also the case i will prolly just look around mite get one a bit cheaper that has good airflow and fans along with pleanty of room.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

Thats what i did i went to micro center and thats what they said i should get on my budget so my video cards GTX 560 ti wont work O_O grr they said it would

ok so how about this as a motherboard ? dont know if it good was a quick search lol

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Skittles,

The 560 ti PCIe 2.0 Video Card you picked out should work fine.

The other MB you linked to is a Rip Off.

Here is how to compare Asrock Motherboards and features.
Check Mark models and click on Compare button at bottom of page.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/compare.asp

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

Im so confused haha so do i need a diff mother board or no @_@ lol

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Best talk with Sales Folks in person at Micro Center so they can show you different choices within your budget. :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

k just a lil worried now since they said a ocz power supply is good and it has bad review across the bored for thermal sensors being bad and now they say a motherboard which looks like it has no pcie2 slot can take a pcie2 video card... lol guess ur right go back and talk to them more before u buyem tommorrow build should be fun sounds fun at least that is if i dont mess it all up lol :)

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

http://newbcomputerbuild.com/n.....july-2012/

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

Oh thx for the links been a real help :)

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K Processor 3.4 4 BX80637I53570K
Price: $229.99

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 Z77 DDR3 1600 LGA 1155 Motherboards Price: $180.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....B007QWIA52
Price $160

Graphics Card: VisionTek Products Radeon 7850 2GB DDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card 900505
Price: $239.99

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD Platforms SDRAM CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
Price: $48.99

Hard Drive: Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Blue SATA III 7200 RPM 32 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive – WD10EALX
Price: $94.99

Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD platforms – CMPSU-750TXV2
Price: $89.99

Computer Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer USB 3.0 Mid Tower ATX Case with Window and Black Interior (SGC-1000-KWN1)
Price: $79.99

Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive (Black)
Price: $17.99

Estimated Price: $982 (Each component varies by Supply Vendor so should be close to total)

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

If only i could afford that lol pluse tax and a monitor and im way over :(

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Was making it come down to less than a $1000 BUT you interrupted me so now I'm out time to post links. :( : (

You don't have to only shop at Micro Center, can order parts from any where in US that has a better price.

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

lol sry didnt mean to interrupt. I know but i rather be able to walk into a store and look at it and im not really a online type perosn with ordering stuff.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

They won't beat this !!!! Just Add Video card and go.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/app.....8;csid=_61

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

OHHH well hmmm me like

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

The Build on top I was working on when I was interrupted is much better.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

grr damn me for interupting lol

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

i like target direct never knew of it till now i found this build as well that would fit my budget perfect. just dont know about that motherboard is it any good ?? tried looking it up but review where good and bad so dont know wich to go with on review wise.

this oneeee

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

NO that's alright, I was just trying to meet your budget and come up with some different better parts.

Right now you really don't have the money to make a Good Build considering new parts are being introduced daily for Ivy Bridge.

Your FIRST Build will always be more expensive as you have NO older parts you can use so therefore you have buy everything all at once.

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

The MB in the Tiger Direct Combo is NON STANDARD atx form factor with NO features. Bad MB !!!!

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is your Best Bet considering Budget.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

But the video card not work with it idk ima go to micro after work see what's up prolly just order that one from tiger maybe. Only one way to find out. Bed time for me got work sigh.. Thx again for help :)

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Skittles,

OK. :)

But remember this is the MB that you need and it will fit your budget.

ASRock Z77 Extreme4
http://www.microcenter.com/sin.....id=0387554
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6813157293

Sleep Well My Friend, Sleep Well.

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

Hmm took one last look saw ur post and noticed the newegg one has a pcie3 slot and I read somewhere u could put pcie2 in it and it works hmm aren't those the same mobo or diff cause If same maybe micro has wrong specs lol knowIng my luck there diff haha anyways bed time

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

The Specs are the same for the two links to ASRock Z77 Extreme4

Just order the ASRock Z77 Extreme4, NOT the ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M

Good night,

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

Well then I'll get te asrock z77 extreme 4 :) can't wait to get off work so I can get the parts and begine building yay lol

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Skittles,

READ THE COMPLETE MANUAL FIRST BEFORE YOU EVEN TOUCH A PART !!!!!!!!! :) :)

IF YOU DON'T COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND SOMETHING, DON'T DO ANYTHING WITHOUT ASKING FIRST. :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

Ok well i ended up buying all the parts i mentioned first. But got a corsair tx650m psu. And a better video card. pluse some extra fans. for $994 after tax. wish me luck time to read and build ^_^

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Skittles,

The Corsair TX650M PSU is Good and has Excellent ratings by reviewers.

This will be an Excellent Build for your needs and budget !!!! :) :)

Did you get the 23" monitor too ??

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

no monitor having trouble getting parts to go in like mother board is being held by 4 or 5 screws instead of all 6 since it didnt line to well even when i tried bending to get them all to line up. that and the fan cable is to small to add a fan in the front. so ima have two at top and one in back shouldnt be to bad. but im confused a bit on where things r plugging in lol but its getting there taking my time 2 hours now haha

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Do NOT force anything that will not fit correctly in the Build !!!!!!

The MB is 12" x 8.6" and not the normal 12" x 9.6" so be CAREFUL when fitting up to the Stand-Offs and Case.

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

i dont under stand some of these cables and manual sucks no pictures just wierd drawing like rly gimmie some pics in a manual grrrr.. like the wire coming outa psu i know where the cpu and the biggiest ones go but other random ones arnt even marked so do they go somewhere ?? or the wires coming from my case cant find anything to plugem in to lol like power led or reset led or one that says +5v D- D+ Ground .... sigh

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

i see a power fan 1 slot but no cable from psu does that matter ??

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

May need Slim Line Fans like these.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6835185139

STOP !!!!

Let me download your manual and read it like you did yesterday.

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

i stopped idk what all these cables r sigh have every thing but the cables in

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Skittles,

The Manual is Very Bad !!!!

Page 13 is the key.

Item 19 on Page 13 is where you plug your Case cables into.

Let me see if I find you a picture of how they go.

For right now do NOT plug in the Case wires and just use the Buttons on the motherboard to test with.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

um yeah see what happened was i found a pic in the booklet it cam with that showed me and now it works everything the fans all the lights and it shows video when i plug into moniter lol

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Page 35 in The Quick Installation Guide will show you where the case wires go.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

Quick question ok i got most cables but how do i connect my optical drive ??? i mean i have no cable that i can find to plug into it isnt it supposed to come with one O_O :(

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Is that the new Optical Drive you bought today ????

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

yes it is and i found the sata cable that i LOST lol was in bottom of box was going crazy for min ok so i do have one cable that i cant find on the pages u gave me it says 5v D+ D- ground on it and it comes from my case also there is a usb cable coming outa my case but no plug in on MOBO so idk bout that one but i dont need it anyways just curious about this last cable 5v D+ D- Ground

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Page 2 of Quick Installation Guide
Items 24, 25, 26 for USB Case

Page 13 of Manual
Items 24, 25, 26 For USB Case

Some pictures from another site.
http://www.frontx.com/cpx108_2.htm

5v D+ D- ground LEAVE ALONE FOR RIGHT NOW.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

ok thx :)

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

OK.

Do NOT power that machine up until you have checked (10) times that the wiring and connections are ALL ABSOLUTELY CORRECT according to ALL the documentation that came with the MB. :) :)

NO NO Guessing.

If you are not sure, just ask, alright ????

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

every thing looks to be correct i checked and checked lol would it turn on and work if it wasnt ?? hmmm loading windows now and it seems to be running fine all fans are working nothing over heating. cpu and mb running around 28c for mobo and 32c for cpu think i did it :)

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

only thing right now is im not sure what sata to use on mobo i mean i picked to but the instructions on manual was a bit confusing it seems to be working i didnt use the ones that it said wouldnt work

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

uh oh got a error when installing drivers wrong gpu config then it went away and said enable something when fixed. NVM i feel so stupid i forgot to load the disc for video card haha now im good :)

Posted 4 years ago

SkittlesTheCat2012

well off to bed wanna thank yall for all the help. played a few games on the highest setting and it works perfect no lag and GREAT fps no complants so far. :) hope it stays working lol

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.