The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

multiple instances of mshta.exe running

(5 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by ApostlesRus
  • Latest reply from blueize
  • Topic Viewed 13092 times

ApostlesRus

In my task manager I have multiple instances of mshta.exe running. More than 10, probably 14-20, if I close them they reopen again and again. Is this normal? I renamed mshta.exe in sys32 because windows would not allow me to delete the file. I DO NOT WANT MULTIPLE instances of programs running and taking up my precious ram. Is mshta.exe crucial to start-up, are there programs that won't operate without it? What's the scoop?

Posted 9 years ago

raphoenix

ApostlesRus,

mshta.exe (Microsoft HTML Application) is a Windows component for reading .HTA files, autonomous HTML applications which can load themselves independently of the browser.

The file that corresponds to this process is normally found in the directory "%SystemRoot%\system32\mshta.exe" (where %systemroot% is usually C:\WINDOWS by default).
-------------------------
You are running some application that is requiring mshta.exe to keep opening some files.

Find out what application requires mshta and stop that application (Probably in Automatic Start Services).

Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 9 years ago

jd2066

mshta.exe is a program I have rarly seen running.
The program runs HTML and Javascript code as an application.
.hta files are just HTML files rendered by the Internet Explorer engine with extra markup to control things like application title and application icon.
I use suggest downloading Process Explorer and looking at the command line used to launch mshta.exe.
It should show the .hta file that is loading and with that you can attempt to figure what it is.
If you need help with using Process Explorer, I can post more on using it.

Posted 9 years ago

jenngent

I actually found the answer!!! I had the same problem with multiple mshta.exe files multiplying in my task manager. The thing is, they're not really mshta.exe file, they're something else pretending to be mshta.exe. Go to your control panel, look in scheduled tasks, you'll see a bunch of AT1...AT2...AT3...etc. files that are scheduled to go off at various times. Delete ALL these and your mshta.exe problems will be over. Good luck and spread the word!!! I can't believe after all my searching and trying to remove malware blah blah blah it was such an easy fix.

Posted 7 years ago

blueize

Thank you so much jenngent. I had 24 scheduled to run. Every hour! It was giving me fits. I actually just backed up my computer and was getting ready to rebuild. Now I may not have to. Thank you!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.