The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - MsMPEng.exe memory drain - from MSE? (no win defender)

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Kristy27
  • Latest reply from Kristy27
  • Topic Viewed 2743 times

Kristy27

Hey guys,

Switched from Norton Security Suite to MSE on my mothers bloated Acer & it worked beautifully.

Tried to do the same thing on my Asus Eee PC (1 lonely GB RAM, windows xp home edition, version 2002, service pack 3) and suddenly have this MsMpEng.exe using over 80,000 K of memory.

Tried ending process because I can't find it in MSE folders - or anywhere else for that matter - but result was MsMpEng is still merrily devouring every byte available, while MSE is out of commission - get "error has occurred in the program, blah, blah, if it continues, reinstal Microsoft Security CLIENT - error code 0x80070002"

Is MsMpEng.exe a standard component of MSE? Because didn't notice it on other pc, & if it was the 2nd-3rd highest memory hog I definitely would've...

This Asus is a truly screwed up mess, but can't stand only having an iPad.

Looking for simplest solution - should I just uninstall and replace with Avast?

I read HTG open source security program reviews, so I'll be going with one of those if this is all I need to do. Opinions & preferences for particular programs - especially in regard to memory requirements - very welcome and appreciated :)

As always, thank you,

Kristy

Posted 6 years ago

ispalten

Kristy, uh, it isn't MSE, it is Windows Defender...

http://helpdeskgeek.com/window.....mpeng-exe/

Norton ISS 2011 is on all the computers here.

Irv S.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

The MpMsEng.exe is Defender when that is used and MSE when it is used. And 80.000K is normal. Nothing to worry about. If you want less, use NIS2011.

Posted 6 years ago

Kristy27

Thanks for the response :) Believe it or not, lol, I do TRY to find an answer before bothering you guys - and I read that EXACT article, but I absolutely cannot find it - even tried Copernic, and just typing MsPcEng.exe into run - nowhere to be found!

Ugh. Well, glad to know that 80000k isn't too huge. Maybe I'll just reinstall it.

THANK YOU

Accepted Answer · Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.