The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

missing C files after bluescreen

(3 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by writphai
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 957 times

writphai

Hi. It all started when my computer suddenly flashed me with a blue screen (an already bad sign) when I was in the middle of working with my computer. Like a good computer user, I ran the safe mode. Then I ran the computer normally. Thinking that I might solve the problem, I ran the computer and it gave me another blue screen. After a few attempts, I noticed that all my desktop icons were missing and when I checked my local C drive, the folders were there but the inside files were missing. Panicking, I turned to the net and ran a couple of programs that might help (registry cleaners becuase I thought it was a registry problem). Up to now, I can't view my files but my files are still intact since I can see them when I scan my computer (that includes, programs, bookamrks, tags, etc). Can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong and what should I do to recover my files?

P.S. I can't defrag, scan or fix for errors the local C drive. It's like stoned or something. Advance thanks for the help.

Posted 7 years ago

whs

Did you enable "Show hidden files and folders". And stay away from registry cleaners or any other wonder weapons.

Posted 7 years ago

ispalten

How do you know the files are still there? They could be empty. Files in the Cache when the machine crashes can be corrupted. Did you do a DIR or use Windows Explorer to see if they were there? If so, what were the file dates and sizes... Dates would be the last time written, file size would indicate if it was sort of OK.

If you can go to the web, get BLUESCREENVIEW ( http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html ) and run it and report back the actual BSOD you had gotten and the info from it. For all I know, you could have a dying hard disk, and probably did lose some files. That data will tell us more.

Irv S.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.