The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Missing Background and Screensaver Tab in Desktop Properties

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by shahidmehmood
  • Latest reply from shahidmehmood
  • Topic Viewed 778 times

shahidmehmood

when i right click on my Win XP desktop, it does not show "Background" and "Screensaver" tabs. how to get these back?

Posted 6 years ago

Xhi

You mean right click then properties? Mine has Themes, Desktop, Screen Saver, Appearance and Settings TABs.

My recomendation would be to do a System restore to a date before this began to happen.

[u][b]System Restore[/b][/u]

If you want to do a system restore...

XP: Go to Start->Help and Support. Under Pick a Task click on "Undo changes to your computer with System Restore". Make sure there is a dot in "Restore my computer to an earlier time". Then click Next. Choose a date with a bold number that is before you did what you did. Then click next. Read and click Next again.

Vista , Win 7: There are two places that you can use the system restore feature from. From within Windows, you can just type [b][i]restore[/i][/b] into the Start menu search box, and you'll immediately see System Restore at the top of the start menu or you can type [b][i]rstrui[/i][/b] into the search box and hit enter. Your choice.

Watch it do it.

Posted 6 years ago

shahidmehmood

Desktop Properties does show "Themes", "Appearance", and "Settings" TABS; only "Background" and "Screensaver" are missing. It must be some regedit tweak to fix it ... i can't restore, because i donot have backtup ...

Posted 6 years ago

shahidmehmood

Found it ...

Just set 0 (Zero) value to "NoDispBackgroundPage" and "NoDispScrSavPage" at ...

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Thanks.

Accepted Answer · Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.