The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Measuring mouse distance traveled

(50 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by ScottW
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 8015 times

ScottW

After discussion in a previous thread about computer mouses (or meeces :), I went looking for a utility that measures the distance a mouse travels. The one that I'm using is called Mousotron, and I would ask anyone who wishes to play along to get yourself a copy and we can all compare mouse usage. How far do you move your mouse in a day?

If someone knows of a better utility, speak up 'cause it will be hard to switch after a while. I sent Mousotron to virustotal.com and it came up clean from 40 scanning engines. Also, I used Universal Extractor to pull out the app and avoid the installer.

In the past half hour, my mouse has moved 35 meters and I have clicked the left mouse button 154 times.

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Installed :)
The "Mouseathon" commences.
I have always had mine set to scan the screen with very little hand movement. Don't know if that makes a difference. Probably not.

Posted 7 years ago

raphoenix

Deal !! :)

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

You can get even more into it by also counting your keystrokes =)

http://www.donationcoder.com/F.....8.msg93431

Posted 7 years ago

ScottW

@The Geek, Mousotron is counting my keystrokes. Since I started it, 3107 <-- that number "7" was the 3107th keystroke, it has gone up since then. It is not showing me how many times I hit each letter, though. For that, I just look at how much of the letter is worn off of the keycap. :)

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

I'm using a relatively new keyboard, with S, D, V, K, L, and M almost completely worn off =)

Posted 7 years ago

LH

The Geek. You don't need your keys marked, you can type blindfolded :)

Posted 7 years ago

Aleeve

Sounds like fun
Mousotron installed now at 22.51 on 4/4/09 :)

Edit: this does work for when I use a trackpad and a proper mouse (varying between the two)
Edit 2: 18 mins in and I already have around 20 times as many left clicks as right clicks

Posted 7 years ago

Odeho19

Okay, not that there's anything else going on, so this is what goes for fun on a slow Saturday afternoon. Neat little program, but the sys. tray icon is a little creepy lookin'. Installed 4/4/09 @ 17.21. Aleeve, I guess that makes you about 5 hours ahead of me. How's the weather over there? We're about to get snow here in MN. And lots of it to my south, up to a foot.

Edit: I bring up the weather because we're 2 days away from the 2009 Season Home Opener for my MN Twins, and the last year we have to endure the HHH Metrodome as a sudo-baseball park. YAY ME!!!

Posted 7 years ago

brad

Downloaded and up and running. so are we giving prizes out for this? LOL

Posted 7 years ago

Aleeve

Prizes?!
Well, the first thing to decide is whether there it is good to overuse your mouse and keyboard! (ie spend your life on the computer :P)

Odeho
Um, dark?!
Quite sunny today, but patches of cloud wore on through the day, so by late afternoon/early evening it was getting quite chilly and overcast!

Edit: Just went outside to have a look, pretty cold now actually, but skies are totally clear - lovely view of the night sky! (23.46)

Posted 7 years ago

LH

MN Twins ? I prefer V Twins (as in MG's)

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

That mousotron is pretty cool... I might have to write it up.

Posted 7 years ago

Aleeve

Nice idea :)
And props to ScottW for finding it too

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Check the log. Mine goes back to 1899

Disregard my above remark, I just found the OSD.

Posted 7 years ago

LH

If we want to make a competition of this, I suggest we synchronize our watches first (I don't have a watch, but the clock works fine :)

Posted 7 years ago

Odeho19

Okay..............................................Go!

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Hang on, hang on, hang on, the time has to be arranged by everyone that wants to participate. And we are all in different timezones.

Posted 7 years ago

brad

Very true lol. But it seems easy for someone to cheat the system.

Posted 7 years ago

LH

True. You just whizz your cursor all around, all the time. But us regulars wouldn't cheat !

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.