The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Measuring mouse distance traveled

(50 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by ScottW
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 8015 times

ScottW

After discussion in a previous thread about computer mouses (or meeces :), I went looking for a utility that measures the distance a mouse travels. The one that I'm using is called Mousotron, and I would ask anyone who wishes to play along to get yourself a copy and we can all compare mouse usage. How far do you move your mouse in a day?

If someone knows of a better utility, speak up 'cause it will be hard to switch after a while. I sent Mousotron to virustotal.com and it came up clean from 40 scanning engines. Also, I used Universal Extractor to pull out the app and avoid the installer.

In the past half hour, my mouse has moved 35 meters and I have clicked the left mouse button 154 times.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Installed :)
The "Mouseathon" commences.
I have always had mine set to scan the screen with very little hand movement. Don't know if that makes a difference. Probably not.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

Deal !! :)

Posted 8 years ago

The Geek

You can get even more into it by also counting your keystrokes =)

http://www.donationcoder.com/F.....8.msg93431

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

@The Geek, Mousotron is counting my keystrokes. Since I started it, 3107 <-- that number "7" was the 3107th keystroke, it has gone up since then. It is not showing me how many times I hit each letter, though. For that, I just look at how much of the letter is worn off of the keycap. :)

Posted 8 years ago

The Geek

I'm using a relatively new keyboard, with S, D, V, K, L, and M almost completely worn off =)

Posted 8 years ago

LH

The Geek. You don't need your keys marked, you can type blindfolded :)

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

Sounds like fun
Mousotron installed now at 22.51 on 4/4/09 :)

Edit: this does work for when I use a trackpad and a proper mouse (varying between the two)
Edit 2: 18 mins in and I already have around 20 times as many left clicks as right clicks

Posted 8 years ago

Odeho19

Okay, not that there's anything else going on, so this is what goes for fun on a slow Saturday afternoon. Neat little program, but the sys. tray icon is a little creepy lookin'. Installed 4/4/09 @ 17.21. Aleeve, I guess that makes you about 5 hours ahead of me. How's the weather over there? We're about to get snow here in MN. And lots of it to my south, up to a foot.

Edit: I bring up the weather because we're 2 days away from the 2009 Season Home Opener for my MN Twins, and the last year we have to endure the HHH Metrodome as a sudo-baseball park. YAY ME!!!

Posted 8 years ago

brad

Downloaded and up and running. so are we giving prizes out for this? LOL

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

Prizes?!
Well, the first thing to decide is whether there it is good to overuse your mouse and keyboard! (ie spend your life on the computer :P)

Odeho
Um, dark?!
Quite sunny today, but patches of cloud wore on through the day, so by late afternoon/early evening it was getting quite chilly and overcast!

Edit: Just went outside to have a look, pretty cold now actually, but skies are totally clear - lovely view of the night sky! (23.46)

Posted 8 years ago

LH

MN Twins ? I prefer V Twins (as in MG's)

Posted 8 years ago

The Geek

That mousotron is pretty cool... I might have to write it up.

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

Nice idea :)
And props to ScottW for finding it too

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Check the log. Mine goes back to 1899

Disregard my above remark, I just found the OSD.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

If we want to make a competition of this, I suggest we synchronize our watches first (I don't have a watch, but the clock works fine :)

Posted 8 years ago

Odeho19

Okay..............................................Go!

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Hang on, hang on, hang on, the time has to be arranged by everyone that wants to participate. And we are all in different timezones.

Posted 8 years ago

brad

Very true lol. But it seems easy for someone to cheat the system.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

True. You just whizz your cursor all around, all the time. But us regulars wouldn't cheat !

Posted 8 years ago

brad

I'm just pointing it out. I wouldn't cheat.

Posted 8 years ago

Odeho19

And that'd be fine (the whizzing around of the cursor as long as you), a) weren't in the competition, and b) didn't stare at it while it was going "round, baby right round", and getting dizzier than heck. Although the idea of getting hypnotized by your own mouse while you're on your computer is kind of a funny idea! LOL

Posted 8 years ago

Odeho19

'Cuz I REALLY REALLY like the speedometer at the end of the panel. Anyone get up to double digits yet with their cursor? Try it, it ain't easy to sustain! LOL (I really need a date on Saturday nights)

Posted 8 years ago

LH

It's Sunday :)

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

Regarding the different time factors, I propose that we specify time and distance. So I might provide the distance at 6 hrs, 12 hrs, or 24 hours and others could compare their times at those same intervals.

For even easier comparison, we can measure the speed (r = d / t). This will allow a speed measurement under different environments such as work, home, busy time, quiet time, etc. In the Setup screen, Time Logging tab, hit Log Now to start a measuring interval, then at the end, click it again. Obviously, making the time easy to subtract is a plus. For example, let's say I start a log, then use my system for an hour and log again. I calculate the distance change and tell you I'm doing 50m per hour during that interval.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

I prefer to set the start at, E=MC²

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

OK, it has been 12 hours with the Mousotron running and here are my numbers:

2009 Apr 05 0 days 12 hours 3 min 56 sec 0 km 313 m 88 cm
(keys, left-b, right-b, mid-b, 2-click, wheel): 10003 1177 94 0 29 4906

That's a speed of 26 m/hr. This is normal usage, but with long away periods when I wasn't using the system.

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

After 24 hours, I have only racked up half a kilometer:

2009 Apr 05 1 days 0 hours 32 min 31 sec 0 km 515 m 53 cm

21 m/hr 'cause the mouse doesn't move while I'm sleeping!

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Your mouse covers a bigger distance than I walk in 24 hours - LOL

Posted 8 years ago

brad

Interesting note: When I have mousotron on my rocket dock does not work. Any ideas?

Posted 8 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i suppose that i should join in on all of the fun even though i am a bit late in the game lol

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

Brad - that's quite odd, because mine works absolutely fine.

Do you have your rocketdock always showing?
Mine is on autohide, so perhaps that affects something

Posted 8 years ago

brad

Yes I do usually have it on all the time. However, when I did have it set to autohide it did the same thing. It's a tad bit odd.

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

Have you restarted/logged off since then?
(Not a silly question - I always hibernate my machine, so I'm effectively on for days if not weeks at a time!)

Posted 8 years ago

brad

I'm the same as you. But even when i do restart it happens again.

Posted 8 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

@12 hours i'm at 367 meters but i slept for about 6 of those hours though

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

I had to reset mine because it stopped counting keystrokes and any type of click - only distance
So now I'm all sad :(

Posted 8 years ago

Aleeve

Brad
You have a point actually - just realised that was why it wasn't counting keystrokes and the rest
Does anybody know any workaround for this?

Posted 8 years ago

Odeho19

My #'s for today are posted below, so I think I've got 17 m/hr. But I can't get my scrollwheel counter to work. I wonder if Vista Ultimate has anything to do with it?

Posted 8 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

@odeho19 you may want to post a larger pic as you can't read the one posted haha

Posted 8 years ago

Odeho19

Yeah, sorry Jack, I was having "issues" between myself and Faststone Capture, and Photobucket. I wanted one size, and they both wanted to "edit" things their own way. I guess the inmates finally got beat down, and I won! Yay!

Posted 8 years ago

whs

You can resize both in FSC and PB. You can also "edit" it in a Word document and then snip it again (use .png all the way). It may be advisable to split it in 2 because it is very wide.

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

Odeho, you are quite the mouse mover! It took me almost 2 days to break the 1 km barrier:

1 days 22 hours 49 min 34 sec 1 km 1 m 63 cm
25502 1177 94 0 29 4906

I calculate your speed as 38 m/hr (1800 m in 48 hrs). My mouse is only making 22 m/hr by comparison.

Posted 8 years ago

raphoenix

I ordered (2) new meeses from newegg today. About $15 bucks a piece.
(NORMAL) SHIPPING WAS RIGHT AT $11.00.
They put each one in a separate box in the calculation !!!!
What gives with newegg now ????
-----
Got to find another vendor quick if newegg keeps this up.
Rick P.

Posted 8 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

in 18.5 hours i have gone 1.6 km

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

Is anyone out there still running Mousotron? In one week, my mouse has traveled 3.5 km. I'm averaging 500m per day, roughly 21 meters an hour.

7 days 7 hours 6 min 31 sec 3 km 508 m 67 cm
110428 9232 1314 2 156 54833

Posted 8 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

mine was stopped for a bit but is now back up and at 3.8 KM @ 2 days 6 hours

Posted 8 years ago

Odeho19

Let's try this again! ScottW, I know you're doing the Guest Moderator, but that sure seems like an awful lot of typing. Any Carpel Tunnel in there yet, or tenderness in the wrists? Wow! So, here's my #'s as of this morning, and BEFORE this post. So, if I figured it correctly that's roughly 26.5 m/hr.

Posted 8 years ago

Odeho19

Okay, HTG posted it in the newsletter, and I'd forgotten it was running, looked it up, and CAN'T BELIEVE THE #'S!!!

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

You've been running it for 112 days and you didn't know it?!? You should check your startups more often! :-)

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.