The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Marks100

(83 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by vistamike
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 10485 times

vistamike

As many of you may know Mark has not been too well recently and we have seen less of him on the forum over a period of time.
Mark suffered a series of strokes some years ago and suffered heart / breathing problems just after.
Treatment and medication caused a renal failure and was on dialysis for some time until a transplant could be found. The transplant initially was successful and he was allowed home after hospitalisation.

Mark managed the difficulties with great fortitude and we were blessed with his insight and 'eccentric' input on HTG.

Unfortunately, the transplant started to reject and he is now back in hospital. He is undergoing plasma replacement therapy at the moment and is on continual dialysis to keep his system clean. I did recommend SAS and Mbam for daily scans! The free versions.

I have spoken with Mark yesterday and today; he is a bit disorientated so details are a bit disjointed at the moment. I will update on tomorrows call.

He wishes all on HTG well, but significally thanks all the staff at Derriford Hospital, Plymouth who have made his 'enforced' stay so bearable.

Any messages you wish to send him, let me know.

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

hatryst

Hope he gets well soon. Prayers with you Mark, hope you get blessed with health and return home... Best wishes...

Quote: "I did recommend SAS and Mbam for daily scans! The free versions." <--- :D

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

@Mike, Please pass on my best wishes and hope for a quick and complete recovery to Mark. Let him know If the free versions for scans are not enough I will gladly chip in for the full versions.

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Joe, he is happy to 'chip' in lol. what's the pin?
I'm burning the recovery disk now.......

Posted 4 years ago

vistual

please give him a holler from me too....
that i say hi and to hurry up in his recovery

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Best wishes and a Will of Good Health to Mark, hope you're back fighting fit soon.

And as for SAS, they have problems at the mo, I would go for a Recovery disc and Reboot.

Or a Re-image...to about 20yrs ago.

Posted 4 years ago

Ted16

Mike as above also send on my best wishes as well. Hope every thing goes well.

Ted

Posted 4 years ago

Lighthouse

Mark, just get your arse in gear, and get home. Then I can phone you.

Posted 4 years ago

Scott

Marks, get well soon, Spencer can't get on without you !

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

Wishing you a speedy recovery Mark.

Posted 4 years ago

Hermitt

I too would like to wish you a speedy recovery, Marks100.

Jim

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Mike,

Please tell Mark that Rick P. thanks him for his many kind Snail Mail cards and letters over the years and wishes him to never, never give up but to keep fighting on and on to a complete recovery as soon as possible because Both Rick and Mary Ann love and miss their Good Friend Mark from across the pond.

Posted 4 years ago

bubbatie1

I too wish mark a speedy recovery.get well soon bud your wit & humor is missed !

Posted 4 years ago

Drizzle

Oh Dear Mark, so sorry to read Mikes post,wish you a speedy recovery,and Derriford, is the tops when it comes Heart and Cardiac ( as many of you know, it was only down to all our NHS services here in South West and Critical care at Derriford) that I have Hubby with me...and as Grandson says " Grandad it's as though it never happened"

So Lots of good vibes Prayers etc winging their way to you, it's a long uncomfortable journey, but hang in there and hurry back ,we miss your postings.
Also to all the family, who suffer the daily toll as well as having to keep the home front ticking over.

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

UPDATE,

Spoke again this morning and he sounded much perkier than yesterday. I then realised he was surrounded by a group of lusty nurses.
He was just coming off his daily dialysis and hopes to be up later.
As Kate said above, he is in good hands (the nurses?).
He thanks everybody for their kind comments.
He may be able to access the ward PC and log into HTG later and 'hijack' this thread lol. Let's hope so.

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

Like Kate says - so sorry to read Mike's post and wish Mark a speedy recovery.
Wish him my very very best! Hang in there, Mark!
And go get those nurses ;)

Posted 4 years ago

Scott

Mark, see how well this goes over...

Posted 4 years ago

marks100

hi all so mmany to to type useig this keypad thanks for all you well wish.s ,im feeling better well in body lol,thanks to mike for posting, im still fighting on. hospitol food,...yum !;).l
mark.

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

The NHS can be pretty severe at times

Mark, take it, dependent on position, with humour

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

mmarkk, I justtt knwww youd Hijack yu buggger! Hey great to see yer mate, get out of that bed and walk. Askkk nursie for knew keebord. LOL
Nothing wrong with your spelling WTB

Laters

Posted 4 years ago

marks100

.... highliht of the day ...bedbath :) :)
mark.

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

Lol, nice one Mark. Keep your chin up and make the bast of that sponge bath.. you lucky man.

Posted 4 years ago

Zagreus

Thought I'd check out the off topic and seen Marks 100 in the sticky, then it suddenly dawned on me that i hadn't seen a post from him for some time.

Keep your chin up son and get well soon.

Daveh.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Stopped by again to see how ya' doing ??

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Just spoke to Mark again and he is certainly on the mend!
Mark was much perkier, almost like his old self (he had me tapping F2, F8, F12 and if that failed tap the DEL key).
Our call was interrupted by 'nursey' and it sounds like another bed bath is in the offing.
He is 'plugged in' at the moment but appears to be responding to treatment, but as he said, there is much to go through yet.

Mark spoke with his young lady (Mary) in Canada this morning and she hopes to visit sometime in September and his daughters are due to visit this afternoon.

He thanks everyone for the wishes sent to him and especial thanks to Rick to boot.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

Marvellous!

Keep up the good work, Mark!
We's all thinkin' of ya :)

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

I got your 6.
Get Well Fast !! :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Update

Spoke with Mark this afternoon and he is sounding much better and brighter. He is awaiting x-ray results concerning dark patch on lung, but this could be a chest infection.
He may be in for while yet, dependent on results and success of the rejection treatment.

Am sending a bit of kit down to him tomorrow and will include a 'get well card' from all on HTG.

In addition he'd love to receive mail so I post the address should you wish to write to him..

Mr Mark Skinner
Derriford Hospital
Mayflower Ward (H2)
Derriford Road
Crownhill
Plymouth
Devon
PL6 8DH

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

Thanks for the update and address Mike. Will be sure to send a get well greeting.

Joe

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Wonderful !!!!

Mark Keep on, Keeping on !! :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Any updates ??

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Update

Sorry for delay. Spoke to Mark 5 mins ago. I sent Mark a dongle so he could get connected to the internet but the signal was appalling. However, he has been able to connect to the hospital network for a reasonable charge. So he now has a connection.
He is well, chirpy, but still undergoing treatment.

watch this space, this thread is about to be hi-jacked!

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

marks100

hi all thank you ALL for your kind thoughts, still a little way to go for treatment before the results come back re: the kidney function well its been mind bogglingly boring,but i have been on that many drugs pills seems like a permanent hi lol, as mike says i finally got on line so here i am to thank each and everyone of you in the uk & other ....... you have been hijacked :)
your friend mark.

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Great to hear from you Mark, nice to see you online again. (I take it the nurses aren't up to your expectation) LOL.

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Mate, good to see you back, will contact you by the telling bone later

Posted 4 years ago

Lighthouse

You need French nurses mate :)

Posted 4 years ago

marks100

theres a couple of them (french nurses)..... very nice making my eyes bad as well :):)

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Should have switched your webcam off,

Pointless telling you to write them a letter in.................French?

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

Hi Mark, Nice to see you posting again.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

Hi Mark, same here :)

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

ALRIGHT !!!! :) :)

Posted 4 years ago

marks100

waiting for breakfast and then more plasma exchange ..... nice ..not!. only a few more :)
mark,hi rick my man ...

Posted 4 years ago

Scott

Gee, I hope you're not getting Keith Richards blood.
Get well soon !

Posted 4 years ago

Drizzle

@Mark....Good to see you posting again...

Derriford all the better for having you on Board:) however hope you soon back home. We due back for checks in Sept , so will keep an eye on your progress....

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Good News

Mark is being released from the dungeon and should be able to spend the weekend at home.
However, it is a somewhat shortlived luxury, I quote from his IM earlier.

'marks100: they got to give me this special drug to be adminitrated once a week for 4 weeks starting tommrow then im home back mon,wend,fri dyalyses for a few weeks rthey will look at kidny function'

This means round trips for dialysis every 2 or so days. But he will have two French nurses in tow.........

Have a good weekend Mark

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

Sounds like a fair trade-off to me. I'd merrily donate a kidney if it meant being attended by two French nurses!

All seriousness aside, I'm very glad to hear Mark is doing better.

Posted 4 years ago

marks100

mon, am in dyalyses 4 hours then home again till Wednesday ,i feel as though the treatment may not work perhaps its just me looking on the negative side , trying to keep my chin up no good givein up if all else i still got dyalyses :(
mark.

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Hang in there Mark, I'll call you on the telling bone later

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

marks100

well im in derriford dyalyses unit (posh one purporse built) haveing treatment 3 x a week @ 4hrs a go),( so dont know what's happening @ mo with kidney waiting on blood result i got hospitol wi fi signal not bad ... the good news ive lost nearly 3 stone lol .
mark.

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Right, I found them

Posted 4 years ago

marks100

lol,lol,lol nice one same shape to :)

mark.

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

Ha you're posting :)
So you're around. Hope you're doing ok. Keep kicking!
Thinking of you ;)

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Same Thoughts as Sarah. :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

marks100

UPDATE: from me, im having dialysis seems like all the time r well i got my result for kidney mon @ 1130am fingers crossed not to tight i must first thank you all so much old friends and new for cheering and following this topic glad your in my gang :)
resting at mo ,dialeysis tommow @' 3:pm till 7 .
mark.

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

mark, good to see you still with us!
Your previous offer of your old blood was a little short of the alcohol % required so I suggest you ebay it!

Best of luck for Monday

Stella and I wish you all the very best

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

Good to hear from you Mark. Wishing you all the best for Monday, will be thinking about you.

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Hang in there my friend, things will get better I'm sure !! :) :)

Posted 4 years ago

Drizzle

Hi Mark
Hope things are improving, and all goes well today.

In case you have not been given a special parking pass, at that time of day it's a nightmare,TRY Car Park 'E' ( If you can walk,or be dropped off and your taxi can then make way over:):))..On your right as you enter from the Manadon entrance.(People MISS it as there is building works at the entrance that says" No Public Access" but that is for the works off on the side)

We are back in October,will check on your timings, but HEY!!!! you might be under control at home location by then.
Good Luck
Kate

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

Now Kate comes with the best advice of all ;)
Still sending healing thoughts your way and hang in there!
We need you - I couldn't do without my gentleman!

Posted 4 years ago

marks100

......still here for you sarah :) x
mark.

Posted 4 years ago

Lighthouse

I see your pecker is more upper than it was :)

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

Edit: LH got in the way ;)

Posted 4 years ago

Lighthouse

Sarah, indeed !
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/217400.html

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

:P

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

That could definitely be misconstrued.

Posted 4 years ago

Lighthouse

Absolutely. These Dutch !

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix

Awaiting update with fingers crossed with you. :) :)

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Well here is an update, there is still much Mark has to go through, every other day for Dialysis (4 hours).

There may be a situation where a new kidney transplant could be the next step. Perish the thought.

Just had a quick chat with Mark; IM and telephone;

'had hospital appointment not really clear. I think they (the doc's) are going to have a chat still. 32 waist now'

Well Doc's take a while to come up with results, that's why they still become fatcats.

Notes;

.doc(s) should always be saved to the Matron folder on your hospital bed, oops sorry, your desktop or 'My Doc's.

Regarding the waistline reduction from 44" to 32, this is a great result, thanks to the daily HTG rations we send you.

Mark, what you should be doing now is selling your old kit;, charge by the inch! This will fund your new trousers pretty quick.

For sale, little worn, except at waist level;

Anyway, all joking aside, Mark was in very good spirits, voice is back, but obviously extremely bored with his situation at the moment.

Take care Mark

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

marks100

lol, ive just read through the posts my sides still hurting good news and bad(well), my kidney has gone., so on dialysis till further notice.now the good news remember i said my breathing is bad well the hospital have REMEMBERED :) :) . well on dialysis i am given various injections (in the pipework that pump's my blood in and out of my body one keeps the blood thin the other (important one) goes to my marobone telling it to produce more red oxen-generating blood cells . this they say is why my breathing so bad they started tues,16th . so ive got to pick my self up and......... as frank said ''DO IT MY WHY'' , so my arm feels like a dart board lol (dont hurt really ) oh i might browse about on the forum. once again thank you all my friends across the water thank you so much ,and all you in Europe, and last of all the uk thanks all :) .

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Mark, good to see you back.
I will call you later on your talking brooch

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

Mark, glad you are back and in good spirits it seems for all you are going through. Still wishing you the best.

Joe

Posted 4 years ago

SarahJames

I can only second Warlock.
Thinking of you :)

Posted 4 years ago

Drizzle

Hi Mark
You certainly making Derriford work for their money:):)

They re arranged Erics check at short notice to 8. 00a.m., checked with the reception on the day, but you were not in hossie.
(good news really), as better to be at home, will check again on next visit 6. months,BUT, I truly hope they will have assisted in your return home.
Regards
Kate

Posted 4 years ago

jmeeks49

Mark,

i am a good friend of Mike's, i am sorry about not writing before now but as you already probably know i am disabled and have develop authorities in both of my hips and it flares up some. Today was finally a good day for me anyway, i just wanted to say that it's good to have you back..

John

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Well, good to you back on the forums Mark, hope this will aid your recovery even further.

Give em stick!

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

marks100

well its me letting you know how things are going my breathing still as bad, but as mike say's above i might start making the odd post once again thank you
with all my heart for your thoughts and contributions.
mark.

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

Glad to hear your on the mend Mark. Keep yer chin up!

Posted 4 years ago

Lighthouse

As long as it's his chin, that's fine :)

Posted 4 years ago

Scott

Thinking about you Mark, i had a dream you received Keith Richards' blood. Say it ain't so...
xoxoxooxoxox

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

If he did I wonder what the cost of a pint would be, or multiples thereof?

Anyway, Mick Jagger planted this tree for you and sends kisses;

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead

Hope your are doing ok, Mark.

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Update

Spoke to Mark earlier.
Had a 'slight' fall requiring some stitches.
His leg gave way and fell, causing him to split his eye open.
Now has to use walking stick to circumnavigate everywhere.

Still on dialysis 3 times a week, Mark has to wait until August for the next assessment regarding the transplant.

However, his humour and outlook never changes, and he is going to invest in a crash helmet!

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

warlock

Thanks for the update Mike, been wondering how Mark was doing.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.