The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

malware??

(8 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by justh8me
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 1082 times

justh8me

OK so I have some type of malware or something.

First I can go to google, and do a search just fine, but then when I try to click any link to a site from there it opens a new window and the new window is either an add or it takes me to some health web site?

Then when I try to get the microsoft malware remover it takes me all the way to the download page and then when the download starts to pop up I get page can not be displayed.

I downloaded spybot, but it will not install because when it gets to the part to download it errors out with can not connect.

So I then tried to download the free mcafree I get with comcast, and again when it trys to download it says problem with internet connection.

So then I tried to go to a few help forums I know; and it says unable to connect.

I am on my laptop now, that is how I got here.

Any ideas what this is, and how I can get rid of it?? Thanks in advance!

Posted 8 years ago

Rick555

download malwarebytes its a free software and has worked for me`when i had similar problems in the past ,burn to disc on your laptop then run it on your pc

Posted 8 years ago

Rick555

malware remover

Posted 8 years ago

ScottW

justh8me, I don't know what it is but there are plenty of things to try to resolve it. At the very least, your browser appears to be hijacked. Assuming this is Internet Explorer, try running the "no add-on" version in Start -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Internet Explorer (No Add-ons). That might allow you to download some malware scanners.

It also seems as if there is a problem with your Internet connection, as if the malware has cut off access to definition updates. For this, try rebooting into Safe Mode. Restart the system and tap the F8 key when the BIOS/Setup screen or Manufacturer's logo screen appears. Keep tapping F8 until you get to the Advanced Boot Options Menu where you can select "Safe Mode with Networking". Hopefully, this will allow you to use your network without the malware interfering.

If that still doesn't get it, you can try creating a boot disc on your laptop for use on the other system. Try the other steps first and let use know how it goes.

Posted 8 years ago

JadeEmperor

you might want to also check your "hosts" file. it's located in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

if you are using XP and above.

EDIT: the file should contain only some text and the entry

127.0.0.1 localhost

Posted 8 years ago

Flipper

It is Win XP 02 with Internet Explorer. It won't let me open task manager, system restore, internet, and all spyware/malware programs. I can open My Computer. It won't open "properties" so I can't tell where it's located. I haven't tried "Run" yet. Please help. I try to refrain from starting in safe mode but I will if I must

Posted 6 years ago

mfletch

Download and run this "use another computer to download"

TDSSKiller.exe. Kaspersky

http://support.kaspersky.com/v.....=208280684

The instructions are on that site,

Let know how you get on.

Posted 6 years ago

LH

Flipper hi. Please start a New Topic for your problem. This one is old, and now closed.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.