The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

%m1004 error

(14 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by semiretired
  • Latest reply from semiretired
  • Topic Viewed 728 times

semiretired

My friends dell inspiron laptop boots to a %m1004 error code.

Posted 6 years ago

vistamike

This could point to a ram problem, take out and reinsert. Clean the ram contacts with Isopropyl.
Also you may have a problem with the CPU fan. It overheats, no airflow and halts.

LH is the 'resident' Dell man so he may input further.

Mike

Posted 6 years ago

ispalten

Uhh, check this LINK, it seems to fit.

Part of it :

----------------
In the FAQ section of the site I mentioned earlier
http://www.lundellsettlement.com/ it says that

Qualifying Repairs under the Extended Warranty are defined as:
a. Repairs to resolve messaging code M1004, which is a message the 5150
is programmed to display if it shuts down to prevent system damage;
b. Heat sink replacements;
c. AC adapter replacements necessary to resolve "insufficient power"
and "cannot identify power source" messages; and
d. Motherboard replacements that are necessary to resolve "no power" or
"shutdown" situations.
------

This appears to be REAL OLD though --> http://arstechnica.com/old/con.....1/8614.ars

Another link ---> http://www.tek-tips.com/viewth.....#38;page=6

All indications are that cleaning the system of dust and making sure the BIOS is the latest 'might' fix it.

Since this was an OLD lawsuit, maybe a call to Dell could help?

Irv S.

Posted 6 years ago

vistamike

Thanks Irv for clarifying this point further (now deal with HP d6/7 series screen probs LOL).

Mike

Posted 6 years ago

semiretired

BTW, it's xp pro.

I think it was having a heat warning previous to getting stuck where it is. I will test the ram. If that's not it, a fan is probably in order.

Posted 6 years ago

semiretired

I will call dell also.

Posted 6 years ago

semiretired

Here is where I am:
1. I need a floppy in my new puter so I can do bios updates for other people's computers.
2. Dell made me yell, and will not help again, unless I have the original owner's name.
3. The current owner needs to text the "Dell" owners name (the name dell knows).
4. The Vista machine would not let me load this update from a file to a floppy.............wonder why?
5. the bios is a06, I need a11.

I need the original owner's name, so Dell can help me with the method to download the update, to my vista machine, and then load it to a floppy, that I can the boot the laptop to, with instructions of course.

Does anyone think I should not install a floppy in the hafx. It looks too good foor that.
comments?

Posted 6 years ago

ispalten

Wonder if a USB flash drive would work?

Dell usually sends out an EXE for the flash, the flash and built-in installer, but you do need to be on an operating OS. Since you can't boot, I guess this is a chicken and egg sort of thing? Have you tried booting the computer with anything else or do you always get the error no matter what? I'm thinking an install DVD or a Windows PE environment.

Irv S.

Posted 6 years ago

semiretired

Ahhh......maybe a portable.

Posted 6 years ago

semiretired

Nothing has worked so far. Tomorrow, I will get the xp laptop that runs the Legion's marquee sign. Download the file, put it on a floppy and follow the instructions. I can't download ubuntu from the cd because the computer does not see it. I cannot download to a flash drive because the bios update program wants a floppy.

Posted 6 years ago

semiretired

1. I'm going to check the mem.............the screen usually goes black though.
2. I will open it and blow it out and check into other stuff
3. If it was dropped the, cpu and fan could have separated.
It lists a modular hdd in the boot order....................what is that? The flash did not work.
The post above will not work without getting to windows.............this thing needs goosed.
Maybe an invasive os or program from the flash drive, to get me in.............I wonder what that could be?
I can't restore because it can't see the hard drive and I don't know which f key will get me there on the start up.

Posted 6 years ago

semiretired

Still stuck on this one.

Posted 6 years ago

ispalten

I think you have a chicken and egg situation. Need to boot to Windows to install but you can't?

Can you boot to a Windows Install disk, get to a command prompt and run it?

Irv S.

Posted 6 years ago

semiretired

I am turning this laptop over to an expert friend. I will let you know.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.