How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Lost Adminstrator Privileges on Windows 7, specific to Folders

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by mdvbilt
  • Latest reply from mdvbilt
  • Topic Viewed 489 times

mdvbilt

Hello.

I am the sole account on this computer, and it is an administrator account (Windows 7 32 bit). I have confirmed that I am free of viruses and other malware.

The problem is that my administrator privileges are only partially working. After testing, it would appear that I have control everywhere that I should, save for when it comes to the actual folder structure itself. One easy example, I cannot save into a read-only folder, and neither am I allowed to change its read-only status. However, in the Control Panel, I'm able to change any variety of details that have the administrator shield next to them.

I even ran through the simple "clock verification" that I have seen done on Microsoft's own help, to ensure that I still, somehow, am the administrator. It worked.

How can I get back control?

The first folder that I noticed giving me a problem was C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates

I needed access due to a requirement of the OpenOffice suite - a procedure that I've done before successfully. I then noticed that other folders directly demand administrator access to change their properties or otherwise access them.

It's quite frustrating not to be in control of your own computer, when by all rights you should be. It is a very recent re-install that I did of Windows 7 (not even a week old).

Thank you in advance.

Posted 5 years ago

Xhi

Who is the Owner of the ProgramData folder? Properties->Security->Advanced->Owner Tab

Posted 5 years ago

mdvbilt

The Current owner is :
Administrators (Hope\Administrators)

With the option to change owner to:
[my name] (Hope/[my name])

Posted 5 years ago

mdvbilt

It should be a backslash on the second one. Also, obviously [my name] is not literal, it lists my real name...

Posted 5 years ago

mdvbilt

Wow, I left information out of that original post. Yes, "Hope" is the proper computer ID.

Posted 5 years ago

mdvbilt

Solution was found here:

Activating the (Hidden) Administrator Account

Accepted Answer · Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.