The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - Looking for Laptops with 500 GB SSD (No HDD)

(21 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by amkeew
  • Latest reply from Eddiebug1
  • Topic Viewed 2027 times

amkeew

I am looking for laptops with 500 GB SSD, without any HDD.

Would appreciate any ideas about the brands and the prices.

Posted 5 years ago

Eddiebug1

i've been looking myself but haven't found one with a 500GB SSD but you can buy one with an HDD for a lesser price then buy a SSD i found SSDs on newegg.com for around $250

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

Some 17" units have bays for 2 drives. Might be worth looking into.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

It is lot more practical and cheaper to buy the SSD afterwards and install it yourself. That is a 10 minute job. Here is how.

But the suggestion from LH is optimal. If you have a second bay, you need the SSD only for the OS and can get away with a 60 or 128GB model.

Posted 5 years ago

amkeew

Thank you all for the tips.

Since I have to lug it everywhere, I want to ditch the HDD (and the CD/DVD drive) and carry a lightweight 13' laptop (typically about 1 kg), . So having dual drives does not help. And I am not smart enough to swap out the HDD with SSD.

Most of the LT's are of 128 GB and some are 256 GB. For future proofing it (at least for another 5 years), I am looking at 500 GB and above and ready to use.

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

That is the sort of info you should have put in your 1st post.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

It does not require a lot of smarts to exchange a HDD for a SSD.

The physical swap is a mtter of 2 or 4 srews and there are plenty of videos on the web on how to exchange a disk in a laptop.

For transferring the OS, you can use the Paragon Migration tool, that does the job with 3 clicks.

It will be a lot cheaper if you buy the SSD seperately especially because there are always very attractive special offerings by NewEgg or TigerDirect. And it would not restrict you to the few laptop offerings off the shelf that are on the market including SSDs.

Posted 5 years ago

amkeew

Thank you whs. I will try it.

I looked at NewEgg site for 480 gig SSD. The price ranges from 500 to 1500 bucks. Why such a big difference ?

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Link the ones you looked at. Maybe we can find an answer to your question.

Posted 5 years ago

Eddiebug1

i beleave it is the brands i looked at SSDs on newegg myself and noticed that when my lptop's HDD died and was looking for a new one i trush seagate and they're normaly more expensive

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix

Trust the SSD Fabs, NOT the badge name or brand name the SSD sales under.

http://thessdreview.com/latest.....g-the-fab/

Posted 5 years ago

amkeew

whs - The linky

http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....ame=480GB.

raphoenix - The whole article, starting from the word Fab, went whoosh over my non-geeky head.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Well, all SSDs are in about the same price range. Intels are a bit more expensive as usual. The only one that sticks out is the OCZ Revo drive. But that is a completely diffferent device. It is a PCI attached hardware raided box that works as if you configured 4 SSDs in a Raid configuration. But the thing has a lot of other problems and I would not use it.

Posted 5 years ago

amkeew

Thanks whs. Going by the best rating, Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F480GB3-BK 2.5" 480GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) seems to be it.

Any idea about this company or product? What about other brands like Kingston and Sandisk which are a bit more costly?

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

Corsair are a top class product. Don't know about that particular item.

Accepted Answer · Posted 5 years ago

amkeew

Thanks Lh. Corsair it is.

Psst. Any chance the prices will drop in a month or two ?

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse

Who knows :)

Posted 5 years ago

whs

The Corsairs have a good reputation. I own OCZ, Intel, Crucial M4 and Mushkin. Can't say much about the Mushkin yet because it is still in the box. But all the others have never given me any problems and a couple (one OCZ and one Intel) are about 4 years old.

As for price, I suggest you subscribe to the Newegg feed. They come up with sales all the time - although usually for the ones with 60 and 128GB capacity.

Posted 5 years ago

amkeew

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Will sign up for that price watch.

PS - whs, you have been on SSD ride for four years now ? Hot damn.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Right, I have equipped all my systems with SSDs. Would not want to live without them. And since we live in 3 locations over the course of the year, I ended up with 6 SSDs - plus some 'spares'.

The very first one I bought was an OCZ Vertex (for a lot of money at the time - I think it was over $250 for a 60GB). With that I had some problems. I RMAd it to NewEgg and they gave me a replacement. Since then I had no problems at all. In fact the replacement Vertex is running on this system from where I post.

Posted 5 years ago

Eddiebug1

the price will drop but who knows how much or when

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.