The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - LITTLE BLACK SQUARES

(18 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by penel19
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 1470 times

penel19

aLL OF A SUDDEN LITTLE BLACK SQUARES POP UP ON MY DESK TOP ICONS. I HAVE RESTORED TO A PREVIOUS POINT BUT THEY STILL COME BACK. i CAN KEEP REFRESHING BUT THIS IS A PAIN. CAN ANYONE HELP? tHANKS

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

What happens when you refresh, do they come back? BTW Don't shout, we hear you (all Caps)

g-x

Posted 7 years ago

ronniesonora

reboot the computer in SAFE mode. After you are in safe mode you can reboot again into the regular mode and the icons will be re-created.

Posted 7 years ago

G41M

penel19,

You have your Caps Lock On.
Can you remember what you did to the computer before this problem appeared?

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Please can you post a screenshot.

Posted 7 years ago

penel19

I know how to make a screen print but how do I post it.

Posted 7 years ago

LH

penel19

When I refresth they come back normal. No I don't have my caps on. I was checking email or opening a program.

Posted 7 years ago

penel19

Posted 7 years ago

LH

G41M

I think your shortcut arrows were changed to black boxes. This might help http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....store.html

Posted 7 years ago

LH

They stole that 29 hack from me :)

Posted 7 years ago

penel19

I have Windows Vista Will this help me too?

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Yep. I wrote it for Vista, just happens to work on W7 too.

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

The above fix should resolve the black square problem but have one question. Do you have any type of windows tweak software installed? Some of those have so called fixes for the shortcut arrow.

g-x

Posted 7 years ago

penel19

Thanks to everyone. Seems to have done the job. If I have any more problems will let you know. Thanks again.

Posted 7 years ago

LH

Don't go there g-x. They use 3 registry entries (and half the time don't work). Mine is one (and does work).

Posted 7 years ago

germ-x

I didn't go there, I was asking the Op if by some chance he has any windows tweak software installed. A lot of those fix-em uppers have a small shortcut arrow eliminator. this one goes way back to the original tweakUI I think for windows 95

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.