The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Laptop freezes everytime my flash drive

(37 posts)
  • Started 8 years ago by stump
  • Latest reply from stump
  • Topic Viewed 4290 times

stump

I hope someone can help me I have been searching for hours trying to find the answer. I just recently replaced the hard drive on my Gateway laptop model#M47. I have reinstalled vista and this is my only problem. Eveytime I insert my sandisk flash drive the computer completely freezes. My only choice is to hold the power button to reset. I have tested the flash drive on other computers and it works fine. I have also tested all the usb ports on my laptop with other itmes such has my blackberry,mp3 player,ps3 remote and they all work. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Posted 8 years ago

whs

My guess would be that: If you plug in a new device, Vista usually tries to install the driver for that device. Maybe it runs into some trouble installing this particular driver (although it could use just a generic one). There are drivers on this Sundisk site. Try to find the one for your model and install it. THEN plug the drive in and see what happens.

Posted 8 years ago

stump

Thanks for the help. I tried to download the driver but the first step is to install my thumb drive. I do that and the screen freezes and I have to restart my computer again. Very frustrating!!

Posted 8 years ago

stump

Oh one more bit of info. If I reboot the computer with the thumbdrive already plugged in the computer will not even boot up.

Posted 8 years ago

stump

Yet some more info that I have noticed. I have a couple of spare thumb drives and I have the same problem with those also. What would the new hardrive have to do with this problem. From all my searching it seems that I might have a power problem and that I should try a self powered usb hub. Any thoughts?

Posted 8 years ago

whs

Hmm, power problem is possible since the only new variable is the new disk. But I am not an expert in this area. This is really catch 22. Maybe Rick can help when he comes on. He knows a lot about that stuff.

Posted 8 years ago

stump

Cool well thanks for the heads up!!

Posted 8 years ago

stump

Anyone else with any suggestions?

Posted 8 years ago

whs

I was hoping Rick would pick up on this. But I have not seen him around for a few days. I made this post to alert him when he shows up: https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/-rick-2?replies=1#post-75281

Posted 8 years ago

Gandalf

If I may jump in here... the water seem a little cool.

1. Can you boot into the Safe Mode?
If so, does the flash drive cause the same reaction?

2. Can you post an image of your Device Manager?
Open your Device Manager
Click on View ... Show hidden devices

Make a snapshot of the Device Manager and post it in your reply.
Please do not modify the appearance of the Device Manager in any other way.

Thanks

Posted 8 years ago

stump

Thanks for the help. I did try it in safe mode and it did the same thing. I'm at work right now and later I will try to post a snapshot of my device manager. I have not done that before, is there any tips you can provide? Thanks again!

Posted 8 years ago

LH

stump

here is the image..

Posted 8 years ago

Gandalf

stump, thanks for the post.

Your devices all look good.

As for the power issue, your PSU supplies power to all the internal and some external components (like the USB flash drives). If your PSU is running on the edge of it's wattage potential, then plugging in another demand on its wattage could possibly cause it to shutdown.

Since you tested the flash drive on another computer, then either the new HDD is using more wattage than it should or you need another PSU. How many external devices do you have connected? Printer? External HDD? Yes? If so, try disconnecting them, then connecting a flash drive. Since these devices do not necessarily draw power from the PSU, this may not work, but it's worth a try.

Unless the new HDD is drawing more power from the PSU than it should, and assuming there is not another power problem that you have not mentioned, I would recommend upgrading your PSU to a greater wattage. Like RAM, more is better. If you can afford it, don't scrimp on the wattage. Get the best, highest wattage PSU you can afford and will fit into your computer's chassis.

Hope this helps.

If you have a question about this, ask away. I check in here at least once a day.

Posted 8 years ago

stump

Gandalf,

Thanks for the tips. I don't have anything else plugged into the computer at all so it appears that it is a power issue. From your info the new hardrive must be drawing more power and that's why it is not working now and it did work with my old harddrive. I will look into replacing the PSU but in the meantime what do you think about a self powered usb? Let me know and thanks again!

Posted 8 years ago

Gandalf

Stump, as long as you have a PSU that has a high enough wattage rating, you don't need a self powered flash drive. Use that money to buy a better PSU with a higher wattage rating.

The worst thing you can do is buy a cheap PSU.

Hope everything works out OK.

Posted 8 years ago

stump

Thanks again for all your help. Two questions. I would assume the power supply unit is part of the motherboard? Second how can I tell what my original power supply unit is rated at. I have a gateway laptop that's about two years old. I'm at work right now so I don't have any other info on it at this time. Let me know!

Posted 8 years ago

ProstheticHead

What OS do you have installed?
I seem to remember something about Ready Boost or write caching causing a similar problem on a friends Vista PC.

Posted 8 years ago

Gandalf

"I would assume the power supply unit is part of the motherboard? "

No. The PSU is a separate component in the laptop.
I just got an idea. *I know. Frightening.*
Download/install Speedfan.
Post an image of the Speedfan to this thread?
You know how to do that now. Right?
This might tell us something about your PSU.

"Second how can I tell what my original power supply unit is rated at. I have a gateway laptop that's about two years old."

Recommend you download the Belarc Report
It will tell you about what is in your laptop.
You'll be surprised what it reveals.

To find out about your laptop's PSU, I'll need the make (Gateway) and the model _________ of the laptop.

Thanks.

Posted 8 years ago

stump

ProstheticHead, I have Vista installed and Gandalf I'm back at work this am and I will post the model number shortly. As for the other things you posted I won't be able to do that until later tonight. Thanks again!

Posted 8 years ago

Gandalf

"ProstheticHead, I have Vista installed".
Gee, stump, that must be why you posted in the Vista forum. Smart. :)

Don't work about posting later, wizards are use to waiting on mortals. {:~)
There are enough demons around to keep me busy.
Look forward to your post.

Posted 8 years ago

ProstheticHead

Ah. I guess you do learn something new every day.

Posted 8 years ago

LH

On this forum you do. It's remembering it is the problem :)

Posted 8 years ago

Gandalf

LH, to true, to true.
*Now, where did I leave my glasses?*

Posted 8 years ago

stump

Gandalf the model number is MA7or MT6705 Gateway here is the image from speedfan

http://img9.imageshack.us/my.p.....eedfan.pdf

and the one from Belrac page 1

http://img201.imageshack.us/my.....report.pdf

page 2

http://img9.imageshack.us/my.p.....page2h.pdf

page 3

http://img3.imageshack.us/my.p.....cpage3.pdf

and page 4!!

http://img9.imageshack.us/my.p.....cpage4.pdf
Let me know if this shows anything that helps!!

Posted 8 years ago

Gandalf

Thanks for the images.
Here are your laptop specs...
Gateway specs
I'm thinking this, 65-Watt 3-Prong AC Adapter and Power Cord Assembly (CRU/EURP) [Part #2527829R], is your PSU.
The PSU is actually external to the laptop. If it were internal, it would produce to much heat.
I had never thought about it before, but it makes sense.
So, you don't have to take the laptop into the store in order to replace the PSU.

Since the flash drive works on other computers and other "self powered" USB devices work on the USB ports,
my best conclusion is either the PSU or the motherboard.
Since the PSU will be far less expensive, I would recommend replacing that first.

If any member techs, reading this, can come up with a better diagnosis, please speak up.
Otherwise, there you go, stump.

Of course, you understand, magic don't come with a guarantee. :)

Good Luck

Posted 8 years ago

stump

Cool thanks alot for your help. I am using an aftermarket cord, I purchased this almost six months ago and did not have any problems until I installed the new hardrive. If the cord is the power supply then I would assume the battery provides the correct amount of power when you use the USB ports without it being plugged in?

Posted 8 years ago

Gandalf

Do not assume anything. You know what happens when you A S S U M E.

Try it and see. Check to be sure the battery is fully charged.
Then, remove the AC cable and try the Flash Drive.

What happens?

Posted 8 years ago

stump

Well Gandalf I have the same problem regardless if the computer is plugged in or not.

Posted 8 years ago

Gandalf

It is unlikely that both the battery and the PSU are bad unless you've had a power surge that could have damaged both. It is possible, but not likely. If that had happened, I would think the power would show other issues, not just with the FD. If you can buy a PSU with a return cash back policy, then it can't hurt. It just occurred to me. You said removing the AC causes a freeze. What if you remove the battery, then insert the FD?

If that also fails...

After some research, I found this. It's worth a try, but a long shot.
1. On the Device Manager tab, click the plus sign (+) next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
2. Click USB Host Controller, and then click the Properties button.
3. On the Resources tab, click to clear the Use Automatic Settings check box.
4. Choose a basic configuration from the list that does not cause device(s) to appear in the Conflicting Device List, and then click OK.
5. You may receive a warning message that indicates that Plug and Play functionality is limited by forcing a specific configuration. Click Yes to continue.
6. Click Close.
7. Restart your computer.
8. Cross your fingers.

If this doesn't work, then my last idea is the BIOS.
The Belarc Report shows your BIOS.
1. Check and see if there is an update. Your current version is dated 2007.
2. If there is no update, then install a new copy of the BIOS.

I hope one of there things works. I'm running out of ideas.

Posted 8 years ago

stump

Well I tried to do you first suggestion and it will not allow me to uncheck the "use automatic settings box". I tried all my USB host controllers and it would not work. I have never had to update a bios before so I will have to try that and I will keep you posted.

Posted 8 years ago

stump

Gandalf, I forgot to state that with the battery removed the flashdrive still did the same thing.

Posted 8 years ago

Gandalf

That means either both the the PSU cord and the battery are bad or the problem is elsewhere.

Right now, I think the BIOS update is the best path to take. It can't hurt , if done correctly.
And, you'll learn something new about your computer. :)

Posted 8 years ago

stump

Thanks Gandolf, I have never done a BIOS update before and I have been researching it and have not decided if I should do it or not I don't want to mess anything else up.

Posted 8 years ago

Gandalf

My first time I get a reliable computer store tech to do it and watched.
The operative word being reliable.
Well, I've given you all I can.

The ball's in your court.

Good Luck

Posted 8 years ago

LH

Pick a time when the internet is quiet in your region, and you have no adverse weather around that could cause a sudden power failure.
(High winds, snow, flooding, electrical storms, etc)

Posted 8 years ago

stump

ok thanks for the tips. I will keep you posted...

Posted 8 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.