The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Java Problem

(34 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by COMPIDIOT
  • Latest reply from COMPIDIOT
  • Topic Viewed 5372 times

COMPIDIOT

I have to keep un-installing and re-installing Java whenever I try to play Yahoo! Pool.
I have the latest installed, Version 6 update 5, but the applet never loads.
Yahoo is no help and it works eventually whenever I re-install, but I'd like to stop having to un-install,re-install!
Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry if this is not the right place for this post.
Thanks in advance.

Posted 9 years ago

COMPIDIOT

...Anybody...

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

What browser are you using? Do any other Java applets give you trouble, or just Yahoo Pool? What happens when you try to launch Pool that makes you reinstall?

Posted 9 years ago

COMPIDIOT

Im using IE7.
Everything else seems to work fine.
When I try to launch pool an applet appears that should load the game but nothing happens.
It used to work on this pc but now nothing.
I even tried the reinstall today to no avail.
Thanks in advance for any future response.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

OK, I just gave it a try on my system. I'm running Vista here and IE7, with JRE v6 update 5. Before trying Pool, I went to the Java Control Panel, Advanced tab, and enabled show console and enable tracing.

Went to games.yahoo.com, select Pool, log in, drops me in a meeting room. I click "Create Table", allow pop-ups (ugh!) and up comes the table. I played a little training, then quit. All this time the console is spitting out trace data, but nothing I saw that was an error.

Then I logged out of Yahoo, shut down IE, and restarted the whole procedure above. Everything went exactly the same. No problems. What happens to you?

Posted 9 years ago

COMPIDIOT

I also have Vista and IE7 with JRE v6 update5 and have enable tracing and logging and show console and so on.
When I go to pool and put the code in the pop up box for the applet to load, nothing loads. It just stays a white screen saying "waiting for applet to load" or something similar.
Applet never loads so I dont get to the meeting room.
Ive played pool on this pc before and cant figure out whats different now.
The only thing I can think of that Ive added is IE7Pro,some add-on for IE.(Ive tried uninstalling this but still nothing happens)
Also when I go to Java.com and download v6 update5 theres a place to verify that your machine is equipped with JRE but it keeps telling me that there must be something wrong with the installation.
Ive followed all the steps from Microsoft to Yahoo! and still nothing.
Hopefully you can help me out.
Thanks.
Sorry for the long post.(I CANT PLAY POOL;IM GOING CRAZY!!!);)

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Let's make sure that we are looking in the same place. The place I found to verify Java install is:
http://www.java.com/en/downloa.....&try=1

Exactly what message do you get on the screen when you go there? Does the Java console come up and print trace data? It does on mine. Look for errors in the trace, too.

Posted 9 years ago

COMPIDIOT

Yes I go to that page and then the thing test (with the little circle thing)...
Verifying Installation

Detecting Java on your computer

The page should refresh and display your environment within 10-60 sec.
If it is taking longer, your browser may not be using the latest JRE or there is a problem with your installation.

After that a page that says it couldnt find JRE in a timely manner.Your browser may not be using the latest or compatible JRE.(I go to the help section but no luck).(Stays on this page for about 1-2 seconds)

And then to this page... http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
(I see no "dancing Duke" or applet or red "X")

Ive tried every suggestion on the page. :(

Off topic:I just learned how to post a link ^^^ :)

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Compidiot: My suspicion is that there is some other software, most likely a browser add-on, that is interfering with Java on your system. I suggest that you eliminate any browser add-ons that you don't need, do a clean uninstall of Java, then reinstall.

You mentioned above that you had the add-on IE7Pro and that you "tried" uninstalling it. Make sure that it is uninstalled. Also, take a look at all the other browser add-ons in IE7 and delete or disable those that you don't need. From Internet Properties, select the Programs tab, Manage Add-ons button, show "Add-ons that have been used by IE". Sort by publisher because you can ignore all the ones from Microsoft. Look at the rest and note any that you don't need. Uninstall the parent application from Programs and Features, if it's available there. If there is no parent or uninstaller, disable the add-on. See this FAQ from MS.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

...continuing, the next step is to uninstall Java -- every instance of Java found in Programs and Features. Follow these instructions from Sun. Only use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility if "Java" appears on the list, otherwise exit.

Restart your system. Reinstall Java from Sun's web page with IE7. Verify the installation and, if all is well, try Yahoo Pool again. I have my fingers crossed.

If you have questions along the way, ask here. Good luck!

EDIT: changed instructions re: WICU

Posted 9 years ago

COMPIDIOT

So "disable" all Microsoft add ons right?
Will try and will post back the results.
Thanks for all the help so far.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

No, don't disable the MS add-ons. We are going to trust that they are not part of the problem.

Posted 9 years ago

COMPIDIOT

OK did all that and didnt work.
I then reinstalled IEPro thing and the Java thing popped up in my little bar thing(bottom right of screen)so I got to play.
I then exited out of IE and logged back in and back to the same problem.:(
Theres only a total of 7 add ons currently running.
Ive disabled all other add ons that I dont know or need.
Why doesnt the Java console show up in the taskbar(?)when I visit Yahoo pool now?
I have it set to show console but it doesnt show up.
It just showed up but when I exited IE and came back its gone.

Posted 9 years ago

COMPIDIOT

So is there a way to keep that Java icon in the taskbar?

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Go to Control Panel -> Java, Advanced Tab, expand "Miscellaneous" and check "Place Java icon in system tray". However, if you note in the help text (hover over the selection) this will only show up when your browser is accessing Java.

What happens now when you go to the website to verify that Java is installed?

Posted 9 years ago

COMPIDIOT

OK when I go to verify it worked when the icon was in the taskbar.
As soon as I exit IE and log back in its gone.
Now when I un/reinstall IEPro7 and go to pool the Java icon box pops up and everything is fine.I just cant exit IE because it will not work anymore.
Right now I have IEPro7 installed but the add ons are disabled and Java is working in pool.If I go to verify right now everything is fine.
I dont get it!
Its working fine right now but I cant exit!
Good thing is that un/reinstalling IEPro7 doesnt take as long as doing the same for Java so if all else fails I can just keep doing that.
Thanks for the help.
Any more suggestions would be appreciated but it seems as though Ive tried pretty much everything to no avail.:(
Thanks.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Let me see if I understand. You are using the add-on IE7Pro from http://www.ie7pro.com, right? When the IE7Pro add-on is installed, the Java icon shows up in your system tray when you launch IE. The Java verify works and you can play Pool. But when you exit IE, then launch it again, there is no Java icon, the verify fails and you can't play Pool.

Why are you running IE7Pro in the first place? Is it a must-have add-on for you? I'm starting to wonder if this add-on is the one that's messing up the IE/Java connection.

What happens when you uninstall IE7Pro, then run IE and check the Java verifier?

Posted 9 years ago

COMPIDIOT

When its uninstalled (IEPro7) Java doesnt work at all.

When I install IEPro7 for some reason the Java icon suddenly pops up in the taskbar and thats when I go and test it and everything is fine.

As soon as I exit the icon disappears and when I try to test it again
its says that it cant detect Java yada yada yada...

I thought it was the IEPro7 add on as well that was messing me up but now it seems as though thats the only way I have Java.

Dunno what else to do.

Is there any way to reset IE completely?
Like to reset it like if Ive never used it before?
Maybe if I do that it will work.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

There is a way to reset IE settings (RIES). Before you do, you should read this page to understand what it does:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.c.....71033.mspx

When you are ready it's in Internet Options -> Advanced tab -> Reset button.

Posted 9 years ago

COMPIDIOT

Thanks for all the help.
Still didnt work :( but oh well.
Once again thanks.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Compidiot: you're welcome. I would love to get a remote assistance connection and poke around on your system. I'm sure there is a way to fix this.

Have you ever tried the Mozilla Firefox browser? It uses the same Java run-time environment and might work better for your Pool game.

Posted 9 years ago

COMPIDIOT

Whats thats remote assistance connection?

Ive never tried tried that Mozilla Firefox.
I always thought it was like another kind of Internet Explorer that you had to have installed on your system.
Ill check it out though and tell you what happens.

Thanks again.

Posted 9 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

remote assistance is where some one can have acess to your computer from another location to help you fix things or such. and you can get firefox here http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Posted 9 years ago

jd2066

Remote Assistance is in Windows XP and Windows Vista for someone else to help you with computer problems.
You would need to set up port forwarding in the Firewall settings though unless you have Windows Firewall.
How it works is the person needing help sends an invite to the person who will help (Helper) and the helper will then see the other screen and can help the person with the problem.
The helper can also ask to control the mouse and keyboard of the screen themselfs to help. There is a shortcut key (Escape) to return to view only mode in case the person being helped isn't happy with what the helper is doing.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

@COMPIDIOT, if Firefox doesn't do it, you should also try Opera 9.50 Beta. It is lightening fast. This is another browser - and a good one.
http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/next/

Posted 9 years ago

COMPIDIOT

Thanks for explaining that for me.(Remote Assistance)

Im going to try those other browsers first and if that doesnt work I guess Ill make a new topic for that Remote Assistance.

Do I need to like uninstall IE to try those other browsers?

Thanks for the help.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Even if you could uninstall IE -- you can't really -- it's not necessary. Firefox and IE get along just fine. I haven't used Opera, but I would be very surprised if it conflicted with the others.

Posted 9 years ago

COMPIDIOT

Cool Im gonna try those and get back with results.(Probaly not tonight though)

Thanks.

Posted 9 years ago

whs

You can have as many browsers as you like in paralell. I have never seen a conflict - I have 4. As ScottW says, IE is a fixed part of Windows that you cannot remove. All the others you can uninstall if you don't like them any more.

Posted 9 years ago

COMPIDIOT

Well once again another problem has been resolved!(Hopefully for good)

Downloaded Firefox and it worked without any trouble.
I guess I gotta get used to it though because it seems kinda weird but it works.:)
Im going to fool around with it and hopefully Ill get used to it.

Havent tried that Opera one yet but Ill get to it eventually.

Once again...
THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL YOUR HELP !!!

It is greatly appreciated.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Compidiot: glad to hear that you have a solution that will let you play Yahoo Pool and run any other Java applets you run into in the future. I continue to believe that there is nothing wrong with your IE7 specifically. I highly doubt that your IE7 install is corrupted or broken. It's most likely some software conflict, perhaps with add-ons or perhaps with some other software seemingly unrelated to browsing.

If you can ever lure a knowledgeable geek friend to your house, they might be able to figure it out. This gives me an idea for a thread in the OT....

Posted 9 years ago

COMPIDIOT

@ScottW I dunno whats wrong with my IE but everything works fine except for the game issue.I think I might just use Firefox primarily for games because Im so used to IE and I really like that add on (IEPro7).Eventually Ill have someone check out my pc.
Thanks again.

Quick question...
In Firefox in the bottom right hand corner above my taskbar it says "Hide IP ready...", I do have a program calle Hide IP Platinum but it is not turned on.Just wondering if theres a way to get rid of this or would I have to uninstall the progam?

Thanks in advance.

Posted 9 years ago

ScottW

Since you installed Firefox after Hide IP, it should not be able to install itself as an add-on to Firefox. Most likely it is running, even if you don't see it in the system tray. Check Task Manager for a process or service. If you use a local e-mail client such as Windows Mail or Mozilla Thunderbird, it is probably anonymizing your IP for mail as well. If you want to turn it off in Firefox either find the settings and change them, or just uninstall it completely.

Posted 9 years ago

COMPIDIOT

OK. Appreciate the quick response,will try tomorrow.(My beds calling me)

Thanks.

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.