The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Internet loading slow/won't load at all

(13 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by TechTard
  • Latest reply from TechTard
  • Topic Viewed 4490 times

TechTard

First off I would like to say that this website has helped me through a lot of trouble. I tell my friends all the time to check this site out. Now then onto the trouble.

Operating System: Windows Vista
Hardware: HP Pavilion
Version of hardware: 9.0 Google Chrome, Firefox 3, IE 8
Trouble: Pages take forever to load or won't load at all. Pictures won't load

What I did: First I changed the settings to -no-sandbox but when I found out that was a security issue I quickly changed it back. I ran my virus scan, malwarebytes, and SUPERAntiSpyware to check the source. All the scans came back clean and found nothing wrong.

What is annoying me is that websites I know that work are taking forever to load or won't load at all. I've tried everything but I don't know what to do. This might not be involved but my wireless keeps switching to linksys 4. We do have linksys but I don't understand what that number means. If anyone can help me please do. Thanks.

Posted 7 years ago

heglanos

hello m8,

could u check and do a ping command??
1) open `run from start menu -or simply click the windows logo-key+R on the keyboard
2)copy&paste this in your Run box " ping www.yahoo.com -t" without the quotes
3) it should give you something like this: look at the img

4) if you see the time or the one i have boxed in red higher than 600 or even higher- sometimes it reach 3000- that mean you are doing a lot internet connection at the same time -since u say all the scans say u`re pc is clean- or if u use a shared net u might have someone that download-upload a lot using p2p prog or just direct download-upload
5) if typed the line and hit enter and the only thing appears is the cmd screen with the cursor just blinking that mean u have a network connection problem
check those things and post back the result m8!

Posted 7 years ago

TechTard

I just did the ping and all of my commands came back as time=1ms. I would post the picture but photobucket is not working due to the fact that google can't load it.

Posted 7 years ago

bubbatie1

try cleanin all the cookies/ explorer cache ect ya might be loaded up if that works for ya download ccleaner from http://www.piriform.com . this program does this automatically for you. i use it every other day

Posted 7 years ago

heglanos

did u let run for few minutes ?? i wanna to check and see if the wireless network keeps on and off or not tells me if it run for a few lines ok -10 lines or not the lines should be something like that
"Pinging eu.fp.wa1.b.yahoo.com {Ip} with 32 bytes of data:
reply from {ip} : bytes=32 time=100ms ttl=51
...."
if you see request timed out every two lines or so that mean you wont be able to open a page, you need to check your network connection, if like 10~15 line comes up the way i wrote that mean your network connection is fine and we would see another thing tell me what it looks like m8 :)

Posted 7 years ago

TechTard

Okay the first ping I did was wrong. This is the correct ping. All of it is under 600.

Posted 7 years ago

Budohorseman

Just off chance, is there a computer on your home network using a bit-torrent client that is using most, if not all, of your available internet access?

Posted 7 years ago

TechTard

Yes, I actually have a bit-torrent on this computer. I don't use it anymore. Should I uninstall it?

Posted 7 years ago

Budohorseman

Well, technically, I am asking about your network. If there is more than one computer accessing the internet and do they have a client. Bit-torrent can use up all of your bandwidth if you are not keeping track of it.

A bit torrent client will not use bandwidth on its own.

Posted 7 years ago

TechTard

Very stupid question but you mean like lime-wire and anything that can be accessed and download from a shared computer? As you can see I'm not as savvy as I wish. But if that is the case I do know that my brother has lime-wire and I do too. But it hasn't really been a problem in the past.

Posted 7 years ago

Budohorseman

If you are both requesting downloads at the same time, you could both be doing popular ones, that would meet/exceed your provider limits. Because Limewire runs 'in the background' it may well be using up your bandwidth without your knowledge. Try this, Stop Limewire on all computers in your home, waite tem minutes or so, then check your internet connection.

Posted 7 years ago

TechTard

Okay I will do that. Though I don't think he uses it anymore and I just got rid of mine since I don't use it anymore. Thank you for your suggestion Budohorseman.

Posted 7 years ago

TechTard

I don't want to double post but I did solve my problem. I found out that there were two IPv's. IPv4 which my wireless was using and IPv6 which was not being used but was hogging up the connection. Once I disabled IPv6 things went back to normal. I want to thank you all though for helping me out with this problem.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.