The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Internet connection intermittent or drops by itself in Win Vista Home Premum

(7 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by memoemc2
  • Latest reply from memoemc2
  • Topic Viewed 8496 times

memoemc2

Gooday Dear Geek: :)

I have a networking problem which is driving me insane. This is the situation:

I have two computers: An ASUS laptop which has Win Vista Home Premium and it is connected to the internet thorough a LAN cable to the Router; and a desktop which has Win XP Pro SP3 and it is connected to internet through a router via wireless.

The Router Modem is a Belkin model F5D8635-4 v1. It has 4 ports for physical connection and two antennas for wireless connection.

The problem is the Asus laptop internet connection is intermittent. Sometimes work and sometimes not. Sometimes take ages to fully load a web-page. On the Tray, the network indicator shows “Access: Local and internet” and other times shows “Access: Only Local”. I have made all possible measures to fix it, such as: disabling the power management feature to turn it off; turning off the router (5 minutes or more) and reconnecting it; clicking on “diagnose and repair” option and sometimes it shows a problem with the DNS; optimizing HTTP1 with the application “Tune Up Utilities” for all possible internet connection speeds; restarting the laptop; I have called to the Belkin helpdesk to reconfigure it several times.... and the problem is still there: the internet connection suddenly drops.

I’m in Melbourne, Australia and my ISP is AAPT, my speed (according ZDNet and Sppedtest.net) is between 1 Mb/s and 7 Mb/s. I have called AAPT and they have told me my speed is variable and it depends of the hour (time) I connect to the internet (my wife made the contract).

Well, while the laptop has intermittent connection and annoys as hell, the COMPAQ DESKTOP WORKS AS A CHARM WITHOUT A SINGLE PROBLEM OF CONNECTIVITY. I find this unacceptable because Vista should be better than XP.

Additionally, I have the two machines fully updated and optimized; my default browser is Firefox and sometimes I use Opera.
So, dear Geek, PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS ISSUE, I have been tempted to take a hammer and hit the laptop, the router and the neighbour.... :)

Thanks,

memoemc2

Posted 7 years ago

ispalten

Very odd, a hard wired connection drop and a wireless staying on is not normal... usually it is the wireless that drops?

Question, when the laptop is on, is the wireless desktop always on? When the laptop works fine is the desktop off? If so, you have a conflict for the LAN IP Address.

Check your ROUTER for settings. If it has logging capability, turn it on, and then look at it when the connection drops.

Another question, are both the laptop and desktop sharing printers and files? Are they on the same network name? Doesn't the XP machine have the required Link Layer Topology 'fix' (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4F01A31D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en)?

Irv S.

Posted 7 years ago

memoemc2

Dear ispalten:

Yep buddy, you right, it's very odd.

1-The desktop internet wireless connection is ALWAYS ON, no matter whether the laptop is on or off, or whether the laptop is effectively connected to the internet or not.

2- Router modem has logging capabilities but I don't use them.

3- Laptop and desktop are only in the same network; but these are not sharing any file or printer

4- Desktop Compaq Win XP Pro SP3 connected to the internet via wireless is working as a charm, always, without a single problem

5- Laptop Asus Vista Home Premium connected to the internet via physical Ethernet cable is intermittent, unstable and is a real pain in .....

Being logical and isolating the problem:

a- is not the router
b- is not Win XP
c- could be the Laptop Asus hardware? but what could be?
d- could be Win Vista? I think the problem is here, Vista really sucks. OS pretty but unstable and buggy as hell.
e- could be the variable speed from the ISP? I think Win XP manages better irregular speed connections than Vista.
f- could be a Vista OS update which is messing the internet connection?
g- is not the antivirus, both machines have MSS Essentials
h- maybe is the Sarah Palin spirit while she's sleeping? :)

Thanks buddy,

memoemc2

Posted 7 years ago

ispalten

Mem, why do you say it isn't the router? It could be. Try a different connector/plug/port on the router at least? Turn on logging to be sure.

A couple of other things to try. I don't think it is VIsta per se, I had it and although I have all desktops here, I have 1 wireless and 2 wired and at times 3 wired, connected to my router. Vista was just as stable as the other 2/3 that were different versions of XP, Pro SP3, Media Center SP3, and Home SP3. The Media Center being the wireless one.

One thing to check first is IF the computer can TURN OFF the NETWORK ADAPTER to conserve power?

========================
1.Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network and Sharing Center and click Manage network connections.

2.right-click connection, and then click Properties. Right-click the connection, and then click Properties. If you are prompted for an administrator password or - confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. If you are prompted for an administrator password or - confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.click Configure the Network tab. Click Configure in the Network tab.

4.clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power in the Power Management tab, and then click OK. Clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power in the Power Management tab, and then click OK
====================

Try this, http://www.catonett.com/blog/archives/194 .

See if the vendor, Asus has a later device driver for the network adapter.

On the laptop, open up the Device Manager and UNINSTALL the network adapter. Then on the top of the tree, the computer name, right mouse button on it, and then look for h/w changes. This will re-install the drivers.

See if it is the cable even, if you have another one, swap it out.

Turn-off the wireless machine, does it happen then?

I'm out of other suggestions until you reply back with results from above? Hopefully, ONE of those above will work... because the last one will be a re-install of Vista over the existing install (do not format).

Irv S.

Posted 7 years ago

memoemc2

Gooday Dear ispalten:

I think and I hope that it is solved.
I called to Belkin helpdesk and I ask for a superior level of advise.
well, that guy told me to access my router; go to "Channel and SSID"; and set the wireless channels from 10 to 11.

well, that was yesterday and until now both internet connections are OK; laptop connection is regular and constant.

his explanation was the wireless channels were not enough for my current needs ????? anyway as it works I don't care.

Thanks for your concern and advise, I really appreciate it.

Have a crazy weekend,

memoemc2 :)

Posted 7 years ago

ispalten

Wireless, which you say were always on should NOT hinder or drop the wired laptop connection?

Wireless WILL drop for interference, and changing the channel will usually clear that up, but in NO WAY should it have anything to do with a wired connection?

Oh well, as long as it works.

Irv S.

Posted 7 years ago

memoemc2

you right buddy, I think the same, it is not logic at all...... how come adjusting the wireless channels (which is stable) may affect the wired connection which is directly connected to the router???? it does make sense.... but until now it is working..... maybe was my wife who mess something here.. ha ha ha

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.