The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Install Windows XP in hp pavilion dv6000 with pre-installed Vista

(5 posts)
  • Started 12 years ago by vzunigam
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 101268 times

vzunigam

I try to install many times Windows XP in my laptop, Vista have a lot problems with my own software that i have and i dont wanna work in this Vista OS.
If somebody have the same problem and have a solution please share this with me.
Thanks.
The laptop is a HP Pavilion dv6000 special edition

Posted 12 years ago

supermansghost

You should read this thread on the subject:

https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/installing-windows-xp-w-pre-existing-vista-on-hp-laptop

Posted 12 years ago

Ragnark

Dude i have the same problem and i saw on HP website that if you downgrade to XP it just won't work. I dont want to give up but it seems like there is nothing to do but deal with vista or give it away. Have you gone as far as having xp on your system? You do know that on your BIOS you must disable SATA driver in order for XP to see your partition you did on Vista shrink right? either way once installation is done you dont have wirelles or LAN, sound, DVD, etc. hopefully there is a geek here who can help us.

Posted 11 years ago

Tex1820

Hi all, I'm new here. I am a geek so this looks like a good place to call home :)

Ok I am having a prob shrinking the volume in the tutorial above. I am running a HP DV6000 SE. When I try to shrink it I get this:

Notice that it says the possibility to shrink is 0, Also Note the text that says that you can't do it if you have a snap shot. There is an HP recovery partition. Ok now I ask why can't I shrink it? Is the recovery portion screwing me up?

Posted 11 years ago

jd2066

@Tex1820: See https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/working-around-windows-vistas-shrink-volume-inadequacy-problems/

Posted 11 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 250,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.