The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - IE9 32 bit version not showing/available

(26 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by amicipat
  • Latest reply from Hermitt
  • Topic Viewed 1766 times

amicipat

IE9 32 bit was running on my windows 7 pc. During the process of trying to delete speed bit search IE9 seemed to switch to 64 bit and now my Roboform toolbar will not work.

Tried to find which version of IE9 I am now running but could not find this in IE9 'properties'. Also, no IE showing in Programs so no access to IE9 32 bit.

Tried to download IE9 32 bit but get no further than the 'cannot download to 64 bit windows' and that was that.

I have spent several days trying to get out of the mess this Speed bit got me into and don't have much hair left!!

I am a female 'silver surfer' so really don't need all this hassle and have reached a point where I don't 'understand' procedures suggested by Microsoft and just want an easy life!

Any help given would be greatly appreciated.

Posted 4 years ago

Hermitt

Have you scanned your PC for malware lately?
If you haven't then do the following:
Install then Run & update these two Apps and scan your PC with each one.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/pr.....bytes_free
http://www.superantispyware.com/ (Get the FREE version)
Do FULL scans and Delete everything each scan finds.
Restart PC after both scans are complete.
Report back with the results.

Jim

Posted 4 years ago

amicipat

Hi, done full scans, as suggested and nothing was found, still just IE9 where my Roboform Toolbar will not stay put, and that's just for a start - no option to get the 32 bit IE9 running.

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Hi Patricia ,

"Tried to find which version of IE9 I am now running but could not find this in IE9 'properties'." IE9 is the version.

"Also, no IE showing in Programs so no access to IE9 32 bit." Do you mean IE doesn't appear at all in the Programmes menu on the Start menu ?

Do you need to use IE ?

Posted 4 years ago

amicipat

No IE entries of any description are available in Programs.

Well, I have always used IE purely because, for me anyway, I have always used it and I go for the 'simple life' but I must admit to total frustration at this point.

I have restored to yesterday, and got my original IE9 32 bit back, but of course so is Speedbit!! None of the suggestions I have googled have worked in getting rid of it, each time I 'manage add ons' and delete it, it comes back once I re-start IE and I cannot use the address bar to get onto any web pages as I just get numbers all jumbled up and a Not Working page.

I have managed to circumvent this by going to Google Search via my Google Calendar.

Not sure how I got Speed bit in the first place - I did download Download Accelerator which I understand it is usually attached to, but my problem has only just started, and I removed DAP weeks ago. Been to their site and carried out their method to get rid of Speed Bit but it does not work! I seem stuck with it!!

Posted 4 years ago

Lighthouse

Did you check in View Installed Updates ?

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Have you seen these links?

http://windowsadminblog.blogsp.....e-and.html

http://blog.narendrasisodiya.c.....edbit.html <-- Not sure about this one, the link in it?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

GuiltySpark

Also : http://www.ehow.com/how_8586665_rid-speedbit.html

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Another check to make;

In options, select 'Manage Add-ons'
1)
Look in Toolbars and Extensions, if there, highlight and click remove
2)
Look in Search Providers AND Accelerators, select and remove the offending object.
3)
In 'General', ensure you have your preferred search engine in 'home page / tabs' set.
Remove the ones you don't want.

Mike

Posted 4 years ago

Xhi

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Iexplore.exe = 64 bit Tools -> About will say 64-bit

C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\Iexplore.exe = 32 bit Tools -> About will say nothing about bits.

Posted 4 years ago

Hermitt

To uninstall unwanted software & tool bars.....
Use Revo Uninstaller FREE (in advanced mode).

EDIT: When uninstalling with Revo in the advanced mode, Select & DELETE everything Revo finds.

Jim

Posted 4 years ago

amicipat

Many thanks guys - am going to work my way through all suggestions and see what happens. Some of them I have already checked, but the Speedbit Search still comes back on restart, but will try all as about and report tomorrow.

Posted 4 years ago

amicipat

1.Open registry editor and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft \Internet Explorer\AboutURLs
2. Right click "Tabs" string value and select "Modify"
4. Cnange the value to "res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm" which is the default value the Internet explorer.
5. Close Internet Explorer and open again

I get as far as \AboutURLs, but there is no "tabs" to go into,so stopped dead there!

Posted 4 years ago

amicipat

http://download.speedbit.com/R...

Followed these instructions and it all comes back when I re-start IE9

Posted 4 years ago

amicipat

http://www.ehow.com/how_8586665_rid-speedbit.html

Also followed this, and, as above comes back when I re-start IE9

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

It is possible that something is starting before IE and re-installs it. Open MSCONFIG and review the items in the STARTUP tab... if something looks odd, disable it and see what happens.

Post filename if unsure. Also, in Task Manager look for odd names.

Try running IE in 'safe mode', that is without any add-ons added (http://www.addictivetips.com/w.....safe-mode/), does that stop it?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Hermitt

I suspect the culprit here is DAP. Speedbit is probably part of DAP and is being restored by DAP each time you restart your PC.
Using Revo uninstaller in advanced mode, uninstall DAP and delete everything Revo finds.

Jim

Posted 4 years ago

amicipat

Hi, Many many thanks in helping me. I did eventually resolve this problem with your help.

It did throw up another problem which seemed unrelated so I started a new Topic as the heading on this one no longer reflected the problem I was now having.

Wrap on the knuckle from moderator and thread closed, however, the problem was resolved on that thread, so many thanks.

Incidentally, when a thread is closed, the message on the closing posts suggested I start a new Thread?!!

I guess I am having senior moments again!!

Posted 4 years ago

amicipat

OK, yet another problem now with IE9 - now I cannot minimize IE9 to the taskbar or anywhere else!

Posted 4 years ago

Hermitt

Hi, Many many thanks in helping me. I did eventually resolve this problem with your help.

Hi amicipat. If you could tell us exactly how you solved this issue with our help, it would help us to continue helping you.
Who's advice helped you?
=====================

now I cannot minimize IE9 to the taskbar or anywhere else!

How are you trying to minimize the open IE9 window?
You can click on the open window icon in the task bar which should minimize it or click the "-" in the upper right corner of the screen.

Jim

Posted 4 years ago

Xhi

You can also right click on the very top of the window and select minimize.

If it is at F11 full screen you will have to hit F11 to get it back to a regular window before minimizing.

Posted 4 years ago

amicipat

Hi, I just worked through everything as suggested, and re-started, re-stored and I eventually had the correct IE9 32 bit up and working. Actually, I still do not have any IE showing in the all programs, so not sure exactly where that is, but it is working ! and it is 32 bit as shown in the screen shots above.

Just tried minimizing from the taskbar and right clicking on the top and hey presto, both options work, so I am quite happy to get to do it either way. It is the square box button on the top right that will not minimise.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

"It is the square box button on the top right that will not minimise."

It shouldn't, that changes from windowed to fullscreen. If you already are fullscreen it will appear to do nothing.

The 3 buttons are from left to right, a dash, empty square, and a red X. The dash (-) does the minimize to the toolbar.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Hermitt

If the empty square button in the top right corner does nothing that means your window has been manually resized to the max.
To change it so you can see what it does, click that button so that it shows the empty square, then place the mouse pointer at the top of the screen until you see the resize arrows then left click and drag the top of the window down. Do the same on the left or right side of the window until you have it resized to about one half the screen size. Now when you click the empty square button the window will go full screen. click it again and the window will resize to half screen size.
WHEW!! That is my simple explanation. If you want the looooong explanation just let me know. lol

Jim

Accepted Answer · Posted 4 years ago

amicipat

Many, many thanks Hermitt, that did the trick, and, again thank you to you all for your help through all this, following all the various steps from you all has restored my IE9.

Posted 4 years ago

Hermitt

You are more than welcome, amicipat.

Best wishes to you and yours,
Jim

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.