The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

HOWTO: Windows XP Install on a Vista Computer

(58 posts)
  • Started 9 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from vistatroubled
  • Topic Viewed 141628 times

The Geek

This thread is going to be a sticky thread that we'll modify over time to cover all the problems that might happen while installing Windows XP on your new Windows Vista machine.

Overview
For an overview of the steps required to shrink your partition and run XP and Vista in a dual-boot configuration, you'll first want to check out this article:
Install Windows XP on Your Pre-Installed Windows Vista Computer

Shrinking Partitions
If you have problems shrinking your Vista partition using Disk Management, you can read this article to understand the problem:
Working Around Windows Vista's "Shrink Volume" Inadequacy Problems

And then read this article that covers another workaround using gparted live cd:
Using GParted to Resize Your Windows Vista Partition

Troubleshooting XP Install
For problems with Windows XP installation:
Resolving "Setup did not find any hard disk drives" during Windows XP Installation

User-Contributed Guides (very useful!)
Dual boot XP and Vista on the HP dv2550se "Verve"

Installing Windows XP w/pre-existing Vista on HP Pavillion Laptop

Driver problems with HP dv9429 laptop

Installing XP on a Vista HP dv2000 Series Notebook

If you can think of anything else that should be in this list, post a response and we'll add it.

Posted 9 years ago

Larry100

Geek,

I have partitioned Vista and setup XP on D: as per your instructions.

My problem is when I boot the XP installation disc is says cannot instal as there is a later version of windows.

How do I get around this?

Thanks for the help!

Posted 9 years ago

Battygurl

It didn't work for me , Once I was in XP the Ethernet card would not recognize!! So I couldnt connect to get Vista boot

Posted 9 years ago

noobTechie

how do i delete the new partition if the Xp does not recognize any hardware...especially the network card...and cannot connect to internet to dl VistaBootPro...please help asap.

:D

Posted 9 years ago

Battygurl

Ahh another user with same prob as me

Posted 9 years ago

nrv1013

Battygurl & noobTechie: Since you're posting here, I'm assuming you have internet access through another computer. Just download VistaBootPro and the .NET framework and transfer it to a portable media such as a USB Flash drive or a CD-R. You don't need an internet connection to make it work, just to download the initial program. You'll need to find the XP drivers for your network card to get a network connection.

Posted 9 years ago

blamuk

I managed to successfully partition and install XP on a new Sony Vaio (VGN-N38E/W). Thank you howtogeek for the fab tutorial.

I want to use the XP partition to make music. Unfortunately, there is no sound! How do I get hold of an XP audio driver for the Vaio? I've looked at the usual suspects online (Sony Vaio support included) but drawn a blank.

Any ideas?

Posted 9 years ago

Battygurl

nrv1013
actually no I didnt I had to format after the problem

Posted 9 years ago

San28

Hi Geek,

Firstly, it was great to read your site. :)
Secondly, please help. :P

I was using Vista Capable Laptop, type : Toshiba Satellite A135-S4427
I was doing the dual boot for both XP and Vista too.
My XP runs good(the performance is far better than Vista),
but I was facing the problem,I cannot get online, because the OS seems cannot detect following driver :

Realtek RTL8101E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

I was able to find the driver, but it was designed to suit Win Vista. Althrough, it was installed, I still got the error code 39.

I couldn't find a solution on this. Could you please help on?
Thank You. -San-

Posted 9 years ago

Cheeno

I need help on my HP LAPTOP WHAT DRIVERS DO I USE

Posted 9 years ago

ondarocks

Got it all to work..Except pc reboots when I click on xp partition. It's there i've booted it using another utility just does not boot using the vista pro parameters.. where to go from here?

Posted 9 years ago

chinapoppi

Hello All;

After reading all the "guidelines" posted by members of this board, it strikes painfully that a member named Mike, in the Vista Forum:"https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/installing-xp?replies=5" Would state that "Most likely the laptop/desktop will not support Windows XP, as it was designed for Windows Vista..."

Excuse me, but if that is the situation..then why are we wasting time following instructions on "dual booting" Vista/XP~!

Will someone please explain~?

Poppi :-)

Posted 9 years ago

michael

Because some people tend to install Vista, buying it right of the shop instead of preinstalled on a PC. Some people also interchange hardware. You yourself may not find it useful but others will. You are not wasting your time, it is simply that not all video cards (OEM and preinstalled in Vista Laptops / Desktops) Support XP Drivers, and Vista Drivers won't work on XP. Hope this helps.

--
Mike

Posted 9 years ago

anmolbhalla

hey .. i installed WinXP over WINdows VISTA on ma toshiba laptop,which had only a single partition. I did this without Disk shrinking . There wasnt any problem as such during installation. I booted the Lappy from XP installation CD . It only asked once that there is already a folder named WINDOWS do u want to overwrite it or use another folder in the same DRIVE . I opted for the 2nd option and gave this new folder, a new name - WINXP .
The installation was complete and nothing was formatted during that .
Now when i start my comp, it boots the WINdows XP . I see all the vista system folders and system file intact. SO vista is still there in PC , but its entry is not in the bootloader.
So i tried making some changes in the boot.ini file for the XP
it looked somewhat like this .. ::

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINXP="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

--------------------------------------
I jus added another line to this existing file.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows VISTA"

Actually this is how i used to achieve multiboot option with multiple Windows OS , like XP ,98 , 2000 on same machine .

But this time it is not working for some reason or so .... Again i emphasise that there was no formatting done and vista's WINDOWS folder and system files are still intact .
But i am not able to figure out how to load the lappy wiht Vista.
I ll give a shot with VISTA BOOT PRO 3.3 but if there is any other alternative .. please suggest me .. :)

Posted 9 years ago

jpb12

Hello

I have this problem: I got Windows Vista on my computer with a partition created. I installed Windows XP in the partition, then after format the pertition and installed XP, when the computer reboot it give me an error: " An disk read error ocurred "
Ctrl+Atl+Del to Reset

Can this problem be resolve without format the hard drive. I have data on the disk.

Thaks in advance for your help.

Posted 9 years ago

michael

@ anmolbhalla - Try partitioning your drive and use BootMagic.

@ jpb12 - I have looked into this. It appears not. =( If you want to dual boot, use above suggestion.

--
Mike

Posted 9 years ago

calliemoonbeam

I have the same issue as Larry100, above, which was never addressed. When I got to the point of installing XP, I got a message that said it would not install because "the version of Windows on the computer is newer than the version on the disk". I desperately need to get this going ASAP, as it means losing a very lucrative job if I don't. Help please!?!

Posted 9 years ago

michael

Right. You have to make sure that the new partition is not formatted, blank and you setup from DOS.

--
Mike

Posted 9 years ago

calliemoonbeam

Hi Mike. It says it's "Unallocated", that means not formatted right? So, after I boot up, I select the DOS prompt from the "All Programs" list? Then what is the specific command I type into DOS? Sorry, but it's been many many moons since I did anything in DOS, lol. Do I just type "setup.exe", or "run setup.exe", or what? Thanks so much for your help!

Posted 9 years ago

calliemoonbeam

Okay, actually I tried booting it with the CD in this morning and it worked, sort of. It went into setup, but when it asks me where to install it, it only shows the C: drive and doesn't show the other partition I made. Do I have to go back and delete the partition and start all over from scratch? How can I get it to recognize the partition? I checked it, and it hasn't been formatted. Arrrgghh! lol

Posted 9 years ago

michael

Right. When it says Unallocated, it means that it is not formatted. Right click it, and click Format. =) It should automagically assign it a drive letter. Then go in XP Setup from DOS and blah blah *FORMAT* :D

Let me know if it works, dude.

--
Mike

Posted 9 years ago

calliemoonbeam

Hi,sorry it took me so long to get back, had to work a full shift today. I formatted the partition and it has a letter, but XP setup still doesn't recognize it. There are actually two partitions besides the C: drive, the one I set up for XP and the one for the recovery drive, and it doesn't show up in XP set up either. Any other suggestions? I'm losing my mind...or what's left of it, lol. I've searched the internet for hours, tried numerous "solutions" and posted on two other message boards, but I haven't even gotten a reply anywhere else. Thanks so much for your help! I was supposed to have this ready to go Monday morning for the new job. :(

Posted 9 years ago

calliemoonbeam

Oh, forgot to add - when I get into XP Setup, it asks if I want to create a partition, so I thought what the heck, maybe I can create it from here, but absolutely nothing happens when I click on C like it tells me to. Any thoughts there?

Posted 9 years ago

michael

Do you have recovery discs for your system which will work without the recovery partition? If you do, I would blank the entire discs, and start from scratch.

--
Mike

Posted 9 years ago

MikeSchuler

Has anybody accomplished this on a Gateway Computer? After the eula I get the page that says:

"The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer.

Use the UP and DOWN keys to select an item in the list."

But the only thing in the list are the words "Unkown Disk" and "[There is no disk in this drive]" repeated four times. Nothing is highlighted. If you push an arrow button, the computer shuts down instantly with a blue screen error message. I've read and tried everything on this site to no avail.

I'm a sign maker, not a computer tech. My art station computer was worn out and I bought this new Gateway not realizing that my $4,500 worth of sign making software won't run on Vista. It would be nice if I could just convert this thing to straight XP. I don't need Vista for anything. I was able to download the XP drivers for this computer from the Gateway support site and updated the BIOS with them and it still just shows "[There is no disk in this drive]" in that list.

If nobody has accomplished this on a Gateway, then I guess I'll just have to give up, take my loss, and order a Dell. They are still selling XP computers, thankfully.

p.s. ~ I'm using a Windows XP Home Edition full installation disk that I bought at Staples for $200. I noticed the instructions use a Pro edition. Could that be the difference?

Posted 9 years ago

calliemoonbeam

Michael, thanks so much for your help and patience. Hope I'm not making you as crazy as this thing is making me, lol. I created recovery CDs when I first got the computer home, 15 of them! But I'm not sure I can handle all of that. I'm no techie either! I do know how to go into the recovery system and take it back to a previous restore date, so would it be like that, only tell it to wipe it clean? I had massive problems with my old computer and had to restore it a few times, wanted to wipe clean and start over, but I was afraid to try that!

After wiping it clean, then do I just shut it down with the XP CD in and then start up again and it will start a new install? Then how do I know I won't run into the same problems when I try to partition a wall and add Vista back in? Sorry for all the questions. I thought I was pretty good with computers until this stuff. If this is all too much trouble, I'll just wait until I can hire Geek Squad or someone to come in and do it for me. Unfortunately, that will be too late to save the current great job I'm trying to get, but at least I'll be ready for future possibilities. Thanks again!

Posted 9 years ago

michael

Wait. 15 Recovery CD's for Vista? Sounds very harsh.

As for your problem: yeah, tell it to wipe it.

And yeah, for question three, yeah. =)

--
Mike

Posted 9 years ago

Graywer

"I have this problem: I got Windows Vista on my computer with a partition created. I installed Windows XP in the partition, then after format the pertition and installed XP, when the computer reboot it give me an error: ' An disk read error ocurred '
Ctrl+Atl+Del to Reset"

I also have this issue, and now cannot access Windows Vista. I'm stuck in a loop of either being asked to boot from a CD (do steps over again to install XP), or do nothing and get the "disk read error" message. Is there a workaround this? I am trying to install Windows XP Professional into a pre-installed Windows Vista Home Premium HP.

Posted 9 years ago

michael

Hmmz. Try just installing XP with no Vista at all.

--
Mike

Posted 9 years ago

jet431

OK, here's my input after several evenings frustration in dual booting my HP Laptop.
I have bought a HP Pavilion dv6570ed preinstalled Vista Home Premium, core 2 duo mobile t5250, 965 intel mobile chipset, 3100 intel graphics accelerator, 120 gb toshiba hdd

I started following the guides in the forum here in partitioning a 20 gb drive called D: for my XP boot. Still had an old XPSP1 pro version, so no sata drivers, so I got the message no HDD 's found. I followed the guide on slipstreaming SP2 in it and the SATA drivers. I found the f6flpy32 on the intel website. I have an intel mobile 965 chipset, so you have to check your chipset. In the search box just put f6flpy32 and you'll get about 200 results at intel, so it really is out there!

Slipstreamed this also in the iso and then installed XP with the new image.
It did install, hoorah, but then I was missing a whole lot of drivers. No help from HP, the telephone support jut kept saying I should install my recovery disc.

On the HP website were only three drivers:
-The touchpad
-The quicklaunch buttons
-The wireless assistant.
I installed these, but was still missing wireless network connection, wired network connection, audio and graphics......not good.

I went to intel first again:
Downloaded the chipset installation utility ich8 for mobile 965 chipset
Downloaded the matrix storage manager for mobile 965 chipset
Downloaded the intel pro/wireless 3945 (under WIFI)
Downloaded the graphics accelerator for mobile 965 chipset

And installed all these, my wireless was now working, the graphics were much better, but was still missing my wired network and audio

I went to realtek:
Downloaded the realtek high definition audio codec
Downloaded the RTL 8101 PCI Express family driver NIC

And installed these, my wired network was now working, but still no audio.

It seemed that something called Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator was still (under system devices in device manager) missing some drivers. I needed two files, swenum.sys and swenum.inf to install this. swenum.sys was to be found in the system32 folder, the other one I found somewhere on a forum.

After these were installed, my audio was working!!!!!!!!!!! And by now it was actually working pretty smooth!

I found the driver for the Ricoh 5-in1 card reader in a link in one of the above forums and am still missing the modem, but who cares about that......no one is using that anymore. It only found the modem after I installed the swenum files, before that it didnt even see it.....

Than I connected to MS update and installed about 90 updates and was ready to further install my programs. All seems to be working fine!!!!!

Thanx for all the great guides and help on this forum, otherwise I never would have realized my dual boot!!!! My tip is to really carefully read the guides!!! It took a few tries before I had it all going all right!

Greetz mariette

Posted 9 years ago

michael

Thanks for posting your solution. Well done!!! =)

--
Mike

Posted 9 years ago

winklist

I have a DELL pc that had Vista pre-installed. I wanted to install XP on it on another partition. I have used Gparted (Gnome Partition Editor) to create another partition for XP. XP installation was smooth with no problems; the usual Vista bootloader issue was there where VIsta was no longer bootable. I did the startup recovery and bingo-bango, Vista was back.
I even have both VIstabootpro and EasyBCD on the machine where it detects the XP install. I did the "install vistabootloader" on all drives option; I get the two OS on the boot screen. When I choose Vista, no problem. When I choose XP, it gives the boot manager error saying Bootloader is corrupt and needs to be repaired.

Help! When I select XP as the default start-up, then it doesn't even give the dual-OS option at boot and goes into XP without any problems. How do I ensure XP loads properly when selected? I've done startup repairs on both OS and have configured VIstabootpro and EasyBCD properly.

Thank you!

Posted 9 years ago

galileo

My problem is alot like the one of Calliemoonbeam.

I bought a new Acer computer and Vista installed itself from a hidden partition the first time i turned it on.

I use Vista's computer manager to partition, format NTFS and re-assign drive letter as explain in the how-to guide. But this utility won't let me do anything with the 9Gb hidden partition that occupy spaces before C:.

When I boot from XP installation disk, it stop saying that there's a problem with my HD and suggests that i check for virus. I guess it's that hidden partition that causes this.

Maybe i could wipe the drive completely as was suggested above, but i find it a bit scary since i had absolutely no vista's installation disk with the computer.

The only thing I have is the recovery DVD's i burned but I'm not completely sure that i can use those DVDs to bring the computer back to factory default if vista is completely wiped out of the drive.

Any idea
Thanks
Galileo

Posted 9 years ago

slug6

Ok I got interested in this topic and found this forum, yada yada yada. Now someone forgot to mention there are only so many partitions allowed. I tried this dual-boot project on my kid's new Dell with Vista Home Premium, as he wanted to run software that wouldn't run on Vista. Now this baby had a second drive letter already installed (Dell Recovery drive evidently. I did the Shrink volume thing, which seemed to go ok but when I tried creating the new Simple Volume, it wouldn't create it. I got a message saying there was no room for the partition. So, I figured XP would take care of the problem, but no luck. It tells me there are already the maximum number of partitions created. No I am stuck with 12 gb of unusable space that was created by the Shrink process. WHAT ever do I do now to get some use out of that space, or is there another option that will get me where I want to be, which is with XP and Vista? Is there any hope???

Posted 9 years ago

chigs

Hi All,

I have purchased a laptop having OS Windows Vista Premium with PHOENIX BIOS.
This BIOS locks out installation of any other OS. Kindly help me how to handle this.

Can I change the BIOS ? or I have some wrong information ?

Br,
Chigs

Posted 9 years ago

chigs

HP Pavilion dv2500 laptop is the Product number

Br,
Chigs

Posted 9 years ago

Johnomatic

I read most of the questions, but none of them had this specific question. I followed all of the steps on this site and got to the point where I install XP, but at the spot where you choose the partion I got held up. My partition named XP wasn't there. I did restart my computer. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted 9 years ago

Johnomatic

Nevermind... after many hours of making partitions and testing thought I'd try a different windows xp cd I had and for some reason that showed both partitions and so my problem was xp cd that I had. Thanks for reading. I know you'd have helped me if you read this so thanks anyways.

Posted 9 years ago

Spike

I started to install XP on my partition and was goin well. After it installed some files it said computer will restart and install will continue to finish. Prob is now all i get is 'A disk read error ocurred' press Ctrl+Atl+Del to Restart. I cant get past this message so now I cant on computer at all, not even on vista. What now? BTW this is a self built gaming desktop appox. 1yr old and the only reason im tryin to install XP is for game compatablity reasons.

Posted 9 years ago

shannon

has anyone tried using microsoft virtual pc to install xp on a new pre loaded hp 9500t 64 bit vista ultimate system? I am also wanting to move my xp only legacy programs to the new system. Anyway to accomplish this? Thanks!

Posted 9 years ago

ajf355

I have created a new partition for XP but have not yet assigned a drive letter, but the drive letters C-I cannot be changed for program reasons, and i was wondering could I put it to any other drive letter, adn if so, would XP still install and work on it?

btw, it is a 10Gb partition
I run Vista Home Premium
My drives are as follows
C - (RECOVERY)
D - (Hard Drive)
E - (DVD-RW Drive)
drives F to I are all card readers so cannot be changed
(just in case this info is helpful)
Thank You

Posted 9 years ago

ajf355

Sorry! got a lot of questions-worried for my pc its brand new so dont want it wrecked!

If I were to put a completely blank hard drive into my computer then try to boot would it work (is there a BIOS?) if there is one would I be able to go to BIOS & change it to boot from CD so that it will install XP? Would I actually be able to install XP when the hard drive is blank?
Thank You

Posted 9 years ago

michael

1. Yes, you're PC has a BIOS.

2. Yes, if you swapped the Hard Drive you could go into the BIOS to switch it to CD.

3. Yes, that's the point of the XP CD.

--
Mike

Posted 9 years ago

larrylang

I have a 4 year old windows xp home system. I would like to dual boot with a newer installation of windows xp to clean the system up gradually. I cleared a 30GB partition with Partition Magic 8 and created a clean D: with NTFS formatting as a primary partition. I want the new installation to be D: as I have other things labeled E,F,G,H,I...
the windows XP install disk wants it to be L:. How can I make it be D:? I thought of unplugging the 2nd internal hard drive but the CD/DVD drive would probably default to D: anyway. Any ideas?

Reports: 1 · Posted 9 years ago

gnomorito

hello, i hope somebody can help me, when i boot with the xp cd ,and it starts the installation,it says that the computer will restart to finish the installation, but once it has restarted it just freezes and nothing else happens,i´ve already tried it several times and its always the same.

Posted 9 years ago

samwise

Hello, I have a HP DV9610 US laptop which came with Windows Vista Preinstalled. I tried installing Windows XP on a seperate partition which i created by means of shrink option in Vista. After installing Xp on that partition it booted only into XP and I am encountering quite a few problems, I dont have wireless, wired Lan, sound or display working properly. I tried installing the drivers for my model from the HP Website but that also didnt solve the issue. Now I am stuck since I cannot install the bootloader software since it needs to download .net and i can in no ways connect to the internet. Can somebody please help me with the same.

Posted 9 years ago

trrymn

Hey Geeks

I have followed all the instruction and read the others comments but this problem is different can you help.

boot from XP cd after shrinking the volume C But after loading file screen turns in blue and gives error 0×000007e ——————pci.sys Any solution

Posted 9 years ago

Ragnark

Ive seen a couple of questions unanswered SO PLEASE somebody give me a solution! I followed the guide to partition a drive space for XP. After the steps to installing XP it wouldn't read my partition but was solved by someone in this forum which i thank. I needed to change my BIOS setting to disable SATA and after that installation was a success. Now with XP installed Im left with the problem of no wireless or any type of connection, no sound and who knows what else. Im not much knowlegdeable with computers but i manage with surfing the net for answers. SO please what can I do from here since i dont have internet connection even with LAN(land line connection right?). In other words what can i download, what websites and so on. MUCH APPRECIATED. By the way i have a HP Pavilion dv6000. Want to purchase software for music which I will utilize for career purposes.

-Ragnark 12/7/07

Posted 9 years ago

Guresh

Hi Geeks,
I am using dv2000 series HP laptop and model is DV2601TU.
I followed the series of steps posted in this site.
i successsfully installed the XP on my pre installed VISTA laptop and i am able to boot XP without problems.
But here i am getting one strange problem:
if i am trying to install vistabootpro.exe, the window is opening and it is exiting immediately and before running this i am trying to install .NET Framework 2.0 which is also exiting immediately before i am trying to take the control for to click the next button.

not only these two, every folder which i opned automatically exiting after 5 seconds.
can anybody help what might be the problem.

and one more doubt is for to install Vistabootpro.exe we need internet connect for my laptop? why i am asking because while installing the .exe which i have with me in USB it is opening one window for to connect internet?

can i install Vistabootpro.exe XP.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Guresh.

Posted 9 years ago

Guresh

Hi Geeks,
I reinstalled XP and try to fix out the problem.
i found that once i start to run the Microsoft .NET framework 2.0 exe the above problem is coming.

and one more problem is if iam trying to install conexant high defination audio driver it is giving the problem like "No media device found in your system".

i am suspecting that is my XP installed properly or not? what is the wrong i did?

while slipstreaming the drivers i gave only driver for SATA drive support.

- Intel(R) 82801HEM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E)

only above driver i added? is it correct?
why so many device drivers i am not able to see in device manager?

Thanks guys.
Guresh.

Posted 9 years ago

Bigk99

I'm having a problem and was hoping to get some help with it. It's kind of a strange deal.
So, I have 3 partitions on my computer a 50 gig for Vista, an 80 gig for data, and a 20 gig for xp. The first OS I installed was Vista business on C:\ my Data is on D:\ and I have an unformatted 20gig ready for XP. This is where I ran into problems.
I started to install XP on the 20gig, got to where I needed to put in a cd key, and mine didnt work so I had to quit. I restarted the computer thinking it would boot to Vista, but it gave me the error
"Cannot start windows, missing file <system root>\system32\hal.dll>"
So what I'm assuming is that windows is trying to boot to XP and not finding anything. Vista is still installed on C:\
So my question I guess is, "How do I boot to Vista now" Oh, and I don't have the Vista CD.
Thanks much,
Kevin.

Posted 9 years ago

Bigk99

I have an update on this. I've been looking around and discovered that by trying to install XP, I just overwrote the boot files Vista needs, and this would be fixable by using VistaBootPRO, except for the fact that, as I said, I couldn't actually finish the XP install. So as far as I see it I have two options, I can get a copy of the Windows Vista DVD to use the recovery console, or get a working CD key for XP so I can use VistaBootPRO.

Which actually brings up another question, the CD key I have I got through the Microsoft Academic Alliance program, and its for XP with Service Pack 2, the CD I'm using for the install doesnt say XP SP2 on it, Just windows XP Professional, is this the same thing?

And finally, can anyone support my way to fix this or provide other solutions?

Again, Thanks much.
Kevin

Posted 9 years ago

Ragnark

UPDATE: I manage to get the switch boot menu between xp and vista on my laptop,HP Pavilion dv6335us Entertainment Notebook PC. I had to insert Vista DVD installation (which came with my laptop) and while in XP go to Command Prompt under administrator and type in the following.Windows\system32
change to CD dive letter and colon,e.g. E:, type"cd boot"
then run command: Bootsect/nt60 C:(vista)
restart machine and it should boot to VIsta with no access to XP.
Go to Command Prompt again under administrator and type the following :
1.Bcdedit_/create_{ntldr}_/d_"Windows_XP" (underscore means space and include " "on XP typing)
2.Bcdedit_/set_{ntldr}_device_partition=D:(D being XP)
3.bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr
4.Bcdedit /displayorder :ntldr} /addlast
Restart Computer.

If you get a status :"oxcoooooof" error with "Windows failed to Load" you must transfer the NTDECTEC file and NTLDR file from XP cd (hidden) on folder i386 to your XP partition on the first window you go into when clicking XP drive.

PROBLEM SO HELP ME: This will give you a boot menu for XP and Vista EXCEPT that im stuck on this part because when it does give me the menu its half a second and I want to know if someone can help me to enable more time on it to choose between them so HELP! I still dont have internet access, audio,e.g. even after downloading drivers on HP website for XP. So if anyone can help me in this final step please help oh and i haven't registered XP since i cant get online. Hope I can help some of you with what i got so far.

Posted 9 years ago

Bigk99

fixed it

Posted 9 years ago

Ragnark

I downloaded EasyBCD (link below) and this allowed me to go under the settings of this program to adjust the timing on my boot menu to select between OS. Now I can choose between Vista or XP. Now Im just left with finding the right drivers for sound, internet access for XP. If anyone knows of any websites for HP Pavilion dv6335us drivers, let me know since HP's website drivers doesn't do anything.

Easy Bcd link: http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Posted 9 years ago

heyguys

After wrestling with this for a few days, I have it to a point where Vista works fine, but Windows XP will not load. I do have ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini in the root of the D:\ drive (which is where I have Windows XP). Trying to load Windows XP gives me a screen which says this:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click 'Next'.
3. Click 'Repair your computer.'

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufactuer for assistance.

File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe
Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt."

Actually trying to follow those steps did not do anything interesting for me, it just tries to install Windows XP over again, which I canceled out of. It is right when it says the file it wants does not exist (I checked and there is no winload.exe on D:\ anywhere), but I am not sure what to do to make it exist.

Posted 9 years ago

Cub941

Hi, I have partitioned my hard drive already and I am trying to install XP but when I get to the setup screen where it says, press enter to setup up XP. For some reason when i press enter nothing happens and I dont know why and was hoping someone would be able to help me, thanks.

Posted 9 years ago

vistatroubled

Hi Guys/Geek/Mike,
I have a big problem here.My laptop is a Pre-Installed Windows Vista Compaq Presario C717NR.After buying this I did not created the backup CD's and only by reading this article went for the Dualboot of having XP. I created the other partition fine and disabled the SATA settings and installed windows XP unsuccessfully. Before doing all these steps I did not install either this VistaBootPRO_3.3.0.exe or dotnetfx.exe (dotnet framework) . As most of you faced the problem I also faced the same problem. When I boot my laptop I lost Vista and for XP it was giving me the error message NTLDR is missing. I copied all the 3 files from c drive ( Vista) to d drive (XP) using the XP recovery Console (boot.ini,ntldr and ntdetect.com) but still no use. I have copied VistaBootPRO_3.3.0.exe , dotnetfx.exe and SATA drivers in a flash drive but my problem is how to install them as I have only DOS access and on DOS it is not recognizing the USB flash drive.I even tried creating a CD but that also did not help as once I boot from CD I can't change the CD in CD drive.I do not have a floppy drive.
With this horrible experience I don't want XP installed on my laptop I just want my Windows Vista back . How I can achieve that ? Or what is the way to install VistaBootPro when I can't take out the WinXP CD out from CD drive and it does not recognize the USB flash Drive.
Please help, I have an assignment to finish and without having either XP or Vista it is big problem to me.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted 9 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.